JEEP around Nassau

hammo

Hi

We are 6 Aussies who will be farewelling our last port of call on Carnival Freedom on Jan 8 with an independant drive around Nassau in 2 jeeps. We are used to driving on the left at home and if the jeeps are also left hand drive then thats OK too as we will have rented 4 different cars in the USA prior to the cruise. We will have snorkled on St Johns and Norman Island , rented beach buggies on Antigua and thought we would just like to get away on our own for a drive around , swim & snorkle ( we will have our own gear ) on Nassau .Most of the excursions such as Atlantis do not really appeal . I have been trying to find some sort of driving tour / plan for the afternoon . We are on Nassau 12 - 7pm . Can anyone help with a plan or direct me to a site that could suggest a days itinerary for us and where we could drive to have a fun half day .

Any advice would be most appreciated ( other than we are crazy for hiring jeeps ourselves !)

cheers

Hi

We are 6 Aussies who will be farewelling our last port of call on Carnival Freedom on Jan 8 with an independant drive around Nassau in 2 jeeps. We are used to driving on the left at home and if the jeeps are also left hand drive then thats OK too as we will have rented 4 different cars in the USA prior to the cruise. We will have snorkled on St Johns and Norman Island , rented beach buggies on Antigua and thought we would just like to get away on our own for a drive around , swim & snorkle ( we will have our own gear ) on Nassau .Most of the excursions such as Atlantis do not really appeal . I have been trying to find some sort of driving tour / plan for the afternoon . We are on Nassau 12 - 7pm . Can anyone help with a plan or direct me to a site that could suggest a days itinerary for us and where we could drive to have a fun half day .

Any advice would be most appreciated ( other than we are crazy for hiring jeeps ourselves !)

cheers

Personally, I dont' think driving around Nassau is a good idea these days. We have a crime issue these day's that has gotten out of hand outside the tourist areas.

Those who travel off the beaten path are sometimes the victims of theft, or worse. Swimming from deserted beaches is not safe, and some of our water have rip currents and sink holes. You should only swim in designated areas, with people around to help if needed.

If you do venture out, just stay on the main road going west and follow the main roads around the island. There are some maps online. Here's one as well. Lock your doors and don't leave anything in your car.

http://www.bahamas-treasures.com/bahamas/maps/Map.gif

Remember also that in January, it get's dark around 5pm.. and you surely want to be off the road by rush hour (4:30pm)

Don't know of any jeep rentals specifically. You'd have to check with the car rental companies

WOW !!

That certainly paints a very sad picture for Nassau !

Why on earth do cruise ships call there - just to unload 1000's of cruisers together on Paradise Island and Atlantis ? Doesn't sound much like paradise . To be safe you must be on an organised group tour ? Avoid local contact ?. Not really the image we have of the Bahamas - specifically Nassau - here in Australia. That is very sad .:(

Thanks for the advice -- Some other family members and friends are looking for a Carribean cruise 2011 , I will make sure they avoid Nassau as a destination - too late for us .

Budget rent jeeps - downtown pickup - maybe we will stay on the boat.:confused:

Thanks for the map.

WOW !!

Why on earth do cruise ships call there - just to unload 1000's of cruisers together on Paradise Island and Atlantis ? Doesn't sound much like paradise . To be safe you must be on an organised group tour ? Avoid local contact ?. Not really the image we have of the Bahamas - specifically Nassau - here in Australia. That is very sad .:(

Thanks for the advice -- Some other family members and friends are looking for a Carribean cruise 2011 , I will make sure they avoid Nassau as a destination - too late for us .

Thanks for the map.

We have been to over 20 port destinations. Nassau is not that different from many of them. I always thought that St. Thomas was really safe, until the shooting and killing of a cruise pasenger a couple of months ago. The same as some areas of the US which I would never venture into. You need to use common sense where ever you travel.

WOW !!

Thanks for the map.

Unfortunately, crime has taken it's toll here.. There's plenty of interesting and fun places to go and see in the Nassau, Paradise Island, Cable beach area.. it's just not recommended you go heading off alone without knowing where you are going.

For the most part bahamians are a very friendly and lovely people. Those you'll meet downtown or on tours are courteous and professional and most love to talk about thier country and tell stories etc.

It's the bad few that make it unsafe to just wander off, as in any major city.

The bahamas is a country of 340,000 people, of which 300,000 of them live in Nassau. It's not all beaches and pina colada's. It's the government seat and capital of the 700 island that make up the bahamas.

Go to the out islands, or Bahamas Family Islands and you'll get a whole nother vibe.

Archived