Advice on final on board payment - which one?

jimjams

Such short notice I know! sorry. We have just been going through last minute details and noticed we haven't checked the final payment box on our XPRESS pass. This is the one asking which final account payment we should use when settling our account at end of cruise.

Which one would be the best to go with...:confused:

A. I choose to pay my on board charges in the currency of my card ie: Choose Celebrity Cruses currency conversion program

OR

B. I choose to have my credit card issuer convert my onboard charges to the currency of my card in leu of participating in the Celebrity Cruises program.

BTW - The card we would be using is Marriott Visa.( if that helps)

I would appreciate some advice as soon as is possible as we leave early in the morning and wont have any access to a computor from leaving home.

Many thanks Jan

Such short notice I know! sorry. We have just been going through last minute details and noticed we haven't checked the final payment box on our XPRESS pass. This is the one asking which final account payment we should use when settling our account at end of cruise.

A. I choose to pay my on board charges in the currency of my card ie: Choose Celebrity Cruses currency conversion program

OR

B. I choose to have my credit card issuer convert my onboard charges to the currency of my card in leu of participating in the Celebrity Cruises program.

I would appreciate some advice as soon as is possible as we leave early in the morning and wont have any access to a computor from leaving home.

Many thanks Jan

I believe that question refers only to pax using a non-US issued credit card since the standard currency on Celebrity ships is the US dollar. If your Marriott Visa card is US issued, you don't have to check either since no conversion is necessary. If you're using a non-US issued credit card, my guess is the credit card company's conversion rate is better than Celebrity's so I'd check "B".

Many thanks to both my replies... Iysolqn, will go with B as you suggested as I am from the UK and my Marriott card was issued over here.

After a debate this morning with DH regarding getting the best deal when settling up final account, he suggested I ask the question on the board. Glad I did, thank you so much,

Jan

Since you are from overseas, it is best that you use a dollar-denominated credit card for this purpose. (Choice "B")

Celebrity/RCCL has a very poor conversion rate that they apply if you allow them to convert your foreign based credit card charges. If you are uisng a foreign based card, you would be better off allowing your bank to make the conversions.

You should also be aware, that despite which option you check, Celebrity may still go ahead and do the conversion at their rate. Be sure you look at your folio info on the ship and check it the night before departure to be certain they are not doing the conversion. There is no reason for them to do so, as you said your card is dollar denominated.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hypo

Since you are from overseas, it is best that you use a dollar-denominated credit card for this purpose. (Choice "B")

Celebrity/RCCL has a very poor conversion rate that they apply if you allow them to convert your foreign based credit card charges. If you are uisng a foreign based card, you would be better off allowing your bank to make the conversions.

You should also be aware, that despite which option you check, Celebrity may still go ahead and do the conversion at their rate. Be sure you look at your folio info on the ship and check it the night before departure to be certain they are not doing the conversion. There is no reason for them to do so, as you said your card is dollar denominated.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hypo

Very useful info and most appreciated Hypo, nice to be able to ask these questions and get such swift and honest answers...thank you.:) (especially - check our folio the night before departure) we sure will!;)

Just hope that the Bay of Biscay is a little calmer than the forecast predicts...:eek:

Apart from that I am just bursting with excitement and looking so forward to our holiday.

Regards Jan

OR

Many thanks Jan

Hi There,

We have everything charged to our credit card which is on automatic payment so we do not carry a balance. When we printed our our e-docs there was an autorization form which we filled out and listed the names of those who would be authorized to charge to our account. We signed it and gave it to the person who checked us in while boarding. We got our Celebrity cards and were good to go. You may have a different plan but we find this works well for us. We will do it again the end of the month when we cruise with Celebrity. Enjoy your cruise!

Hi There,

We have everything charged to our credit card which is on automatic payment so we do not carry a balance. When we printed our our e-docs there was an autorization form which we filled out and listed the names of those who would be authorized to charge to our account. We signed it and gave it to the person who checked us in while boarding. We got our Celebrity cards and were good to go. You may have a different plan but we find this works well for us. We will do it again the end of the month when we cruise with Celebrity. Enjoy your cruise!

The question from the OP has to do with foreign denominated credit cards. The conversion rate issue does not apply to those of us that are located within the United States.

Archived