" scanning luggage"

They've banned exyension cords? When did that happen?

And what about curling irons for hair? Are they banned too or just the clothes type iron?

I apologize if I panicked anyone -- just trying to interject a little humor. :o

But seriously, although personal extension cords and power strips do not appear on the official RC "banned items" list, there have been several threads here, and on the Celebrity boards, referencing individual isolated incidents of them being confiscated at embarkation. Don't know about curling irons.

I didn't mean to panic, but after a day at the beach my hair is in serious need of a straightening iron if I don't want to be mistaken for a brillo pad. :D

The power strip is less vital but with i-pods and camera chargers etc.to plug in, and outlets usually in short supply and sometimes in awkward locations, I've found it handy to have a power strip available on previous cruises.

Let me get this right. The OP entered into a contract with Royal Caribbean International to take a cruise. In that contractual agreement it states that irons and personal alcohol are not permitted on board. Now the OP is taking his/her business elsewhere because The OP broke the contract?

If you, OP, can't afford to pay for your drinks, either stay sober or take another kind of vacation.

They did. Just read on one of their posts that the iron was taken. :rolleyes:

Why after 19 cruises are you still trying to bring an iron on board a ship?? That is not a new rule. We are on vacation, why do you want to iron anyway? Yet another reason we choose to skip the formal night and bring some more "low maintenance" clothes. Plus that leaves more room in the suitcase for dive gear.

Baggage does get the Xray treatment. I got called to the naught room week of 9/25 on Oasis for suspect liquid. It was two spray bottles of Banana Boat suntan lotion. There were large bins of confiscated liquor and travel irons that passengers attempted to get onboard.

I was Not Guilty.

Just to let everyone know, we did our last rccl cruise

this april. Rccl is now pre-scanning all luggage when it

arrives at the ship...before it is sent to your room.....

Any booze or irons you have packed, will be taken out of

your luggage, and kept until your disembark the ship !!!

B.j.

19 cruises

Good job Royal Carribean

We were on the 9/26 sailing of the Mariner and had something happen that's never happened to us before. Came back to the cabin late in the evening, one bag is there, the other is missing. Phone rings and it's security telling me they have one of our bags and I need to come down and claim it.

??????

Went down, they indicated that they thought there was something that wasn't allowed when it was scanned before being brought on the ship, but they didn't find anything. Took them a minute since the bag was sitting off on the side, I assume with others that had false positives, and the only thing I could think of that might have triggered mine was the binoculars I had, it might have looked like two bottles of something.

The part I thought was interesting was the number of bottles of alcohol just being dumped out when I went to get the bag, and the number of bags that they had there. Of course, the annoying part was that they lost one of my matched TSA locks, but they left the power strip, which was one of the last things I put in and was sitting right on top.

I think it's funny how so many people say, "Good. They confiscate irons and alcohol," but "they had better not take away my power strip, which I'm going to use for the five electronic items we brought and that is a hazard equal or greater than a low wattage travel iron with an auto-shutoff" (or words to that effect). Funny how we're fine with something being banned right up until the moment that something we feel is critical is banned. If RCI decides to ban extension cords and power strips as safety hazards, then I assume all those here basically "yelling" about people trying to sneak on banned items will absolutely not try to sneak on your extension cords or power strips, right?

And yes, I do think it's good that they scan the luggage. We always lock ours and will not leave it with the pier porters unlocked. They don't even work for the cruise line and the cruise line takes no responsibility for what the porters do. If they see something suspicious during scanning, I'll be happy to come down and unlock my suitcase for them.

beachchick

What is this obsession with irons? BTW, there's a lot of things you can't bring onboard, yet people go nuts over alcohol and irons.:cool:

Really, what people should be upset over is the ban on hockey sticks!!! Completely ridiculous, it's not as if they sell hockey sticks on board the ships. They aren't even available on the ships with ice rinks. :mad:

Why after 19 cruises are you still trying to bring an iron on board a ship?? That is not a new rule. We are on vacation, why do you want to iron anyway? Yet another reason we choose to skip the formal night and bring some more "low maintenance" clothes. Plus that leaves more room in the suitcase for dive gear.

I can only assume that you meant the OP and not me. I don't feel the need to smuggle anything on board.

I was just on the Monarch 2 weeks ago and they took my Kiwi Strawberry water (only had 3) until Sunday. They tried to keep my (3) 8 oz water bottles, but I argued with them as I use them for my Neti Pot. They let me keep the three (and the 2 extras). I had 2 extras that trip, the five were the last of my batch so this time, I brougt all 5 instead of just the three of them with me. Normally, I would only have brought the three. I told them they could keep the extra 2 as I only needed 3, but they let me take it anyways.

I tried to use their water on a previous cruise, but it is so highly chlorinated that it burned my nose. They let me keep my (5) 8 oz waters. I don't like to pay the high price of bottled water to pour through one nostril and out the other. Using the neti pot keeps me from getting sinus infections. And no, my doctor wants me to do it every night, as when I have skipped 2 or 3 nights, 1/2 of the time I get an infection.

When I go to my doctor's again, I will ask him to write a note about needing non chlorinated water for my neti pot. It will cost me $50 to $75 to get the letter, but then it will be done.

Funny thing is when I started using the net pot over 2 years ago, my doctor hadn't hear of it. Now he asks me EVERY time I go see him (two or three times a year), if I am using it. TOO FUNNY.

The Kiwi Strawberry water is what I like to drink after I drink. Funny thing is, I only had one drink instead of more.... So.... them keeping my 3 kiwi waters actually lost them money. I won't be attempting to take it tomorrow and I won't be drinking very much. No problem, as I will just drink the free champagne every night and that is it. No water, no drinkie for me after dinner...LOL

I was just on the Monarch 2 weeks ago and they took my Kiwi Strawberry water (only had 3) until Sunday. They tried to keep my (3) 8 oz water bottles, but I argued with them as I use them for my Neti Pot. They let me keep the three (and the 2 extras). I had 2 extras that trip, the five were the last of my batch so this time, I brougt all 5 instead of just the three of them with me. Normally, I would only have brought the three. I told them they could keep the extra 2 as I only needed 3, but they let me take it anyways.

I tried to use their water on a previous cruise, but it is so highly chlorinated that it burned my nose. They let me keep my (5) 8 oz waters. I don't like to pay the high price of bottled water to pour through one nostril and out the other. Using the neti pot keeps me from getting sinus infections. And no, my doctor wants me to do it every night, as when I have skipped 2 or 3 nights, 1/2 of the time I get an infection.

When I go to my doctor's again, I will ask him to write a note about needing non chlorinated water for my neti pot. It will cost me $50 to $75 to get the letter, but then it will be done.

Funny thing is when I started using the net pot over 2 years ago, my doctor hadn't hear of it. Now he asks me EVERY time I go see him (two or three times a year), if I am using it. TOO FUNNY.

The Kiwi Strawberry water is what I like to drink after I drink. Funny thing is, I only had one drink instead of more.... So.... them keeping my 3 kiwi waters actually lost them money. I won't be attempting to take it tomorrow and I won't be drinking very much. No problem, as I will just drink the free champagne every night and that is it. No water, no drinkie for me after dinner...LOL

:eek::eek: TMI :eek::eek:

Archived