scheduling return flight out of FCO

Blazer2

Our ship is set to arrive inRome at 5am, how soon can you get off the ship? What is the safest time period to schedule a flight out of FCO?

Don't know if cruise line has early transfers but I see a lot of recommendations for private transfers. Just need some opinions on flight times.

The best time for us is 11:10am.............opinion please?

Thank you

Backing into it, for an 11:10 AM departure, you'd want to be at FCO no later than 9 AM if your first flight is within the Schengen countries, or 8 AM if your flight is outside of them (to the US or Canada, for example).

To be at the airport by 8 AM you'd need to leave the port by 7 AM (to be on the safe side; the ride should take less than an hour, but this leaves time for unforeseen traffic, etc.).

So the question becomes, how likely is it that you'll be able to get off the ship at 7 AM, given a 5 AM arrival.

Personally, that's a risk I'd take; I think the odds are good that you'd have no problem making it.

We are cruising on the Equinox Oct 18-31. We also dock at 5:00 but we expect to be able to leave at about 6:00am. We have arranged private transportation with romecabs.com to pick us up at 6:00 and should arrive at FCO at about 7:00am. We fully expect to make our 9:45 flight to IAD.

Have a great trip.

I would also take the chance but ideally later in the day departures are better. I would ask your cruise line whether they holding non EU passports for disembarkation inspection. In 2008 Costa held them and we only the passports at least 1-2 hours after docking. Last year NCL didn't. Also make sure that you carry your own luggage off the ship otherwise you'll be relying on the cruise line to take it off the ship which also may cause delay.

Our ship is set to arrive inRome at 5am, how soon can you get off the ship? What is the safest time period to schedule a flight out of FCO?

Don't know if cruise line has early transfers but I see a lot of recommendations for private transfers. Just need some opinions on flight times.

The best time for us is 11:10am.............opinion please?

Thank you

I also have an 11:10 am flight out of FCO.

I have RomeCabs picking us up @ 6:30 am.

The ship will be aware of my early flight, and our 6:30 am transportation arrangements, so I am not worried at all.

Becky, we have docked at this port many times and you will be fine with an 11:10 AM flight as long as the ship arrives at the port on or very close to schedule. Once in the vehicle it will take 45 minutes to get to the airport although we normally pad this for one hour when we are thinking through our flights.

I would book private transfers and ask to be off the ship earlier.

You need to arrive to the airport two hours in advance for an international flight not three hours as Euro Cruiser stated. However FCO is one of the more chaotic airports in the world so I always recommend arriving there sooner rather than later. I always plan to arrive there 2 1/2 hours before my flight or more and I normally get on shorter lines because of class of service and being a premium flyer of the airline I regularl fly.

lcumpire, personally I would never book a flight as early as you did. Yes, there are others who do this and while you will probably make your flight I would never put this kind of stress on myself as there is not much time built into the schedule if something goes wrong. This can range from the ship arriving to port late which can happen for a variety of reasons including a medical evacuation, not being able to locate luggage, a delay in the clearance of the ship, the car not showing up on time or even a breakdown of the car, and a long line at the airport. Over the years I have seen too many things go wrong and people miss their flights. So, while this might be fine, I would never recommend it to anyone nor book a flight so early for the reasons I mentioned. But like most things in life, this is all a personal decision.

Keith

We are flying business class so the line should be shorter. Never thought of that.

We have come out of the Rome port before and had no trouble making a 1pm flight, but this schedule is so good for us that I wanted to book it. one time we were scheduled to be back in the port at 7am, but because a woman decided to jump off the ship, we had to backtrack to find her (she washed up later) therefore we did not get into port until 1pm. Big mess. Of course, things can happen but we'll plan on the ship getting in on time.

For those using romecabs, what is the usual fare? For 2 people?

Thanks Becky

We would normally have no issue with scheduling a flight at 11am. But, you might increase your level of comfort by arranging for a private transfer and using the expedited disembarkation procedure offered by most cruise lines (you are the first off the ship but must carry all of your own luggage). Most delays in Civitavecchia (or any other port) are caused by the time it takes to get the luggage off the ship and sorted into the proper piles....so taking your luggage can be a real time saver. One new concern about FCO has to do with the use of Terminal 5 which is generally used by US airlines for check-in. If you are flying to the US on a US Airline you most likely will discover that you must take a free shuttle bus from the main terminals over to the remote Terminal 5, check-in for your flight (with your luggage), spend some time sitting in a large holding area within Terminal 5, later board a free shuttle bus that will take you back to the main terminals where you again get to wait for your flight. This does add a little time to the check-in process, but 3 hours is certainly enough for any flight.

Hank

One new concern about FCO has to do with the use of Terminal 5 which is generally used by US airlines for check-in. If you are flying to the US on a US Airline you most likely will discover that you must take a free shuttle bus from the main terminals over to the remote Terminal 5

Of course, this is only an issue for those using public transit. A cab or private transfer will drive right to T5 with no need to use the shuttle to get there.

Archived