time zone

peanutgirl

It will depend on whether the ship will switch times or stay on eastern the entire cruise. I have experienced both on different lines. They will put a card in your door or on your bed if the time will be changed.

When we were there I do not recall making any adjustment to my watch. I believe that ship's time does not change but they will advise you. Be sure to check the daily bulletin that the cruise ship puts outside or under your door each day. The "front desk" can also guide you.

Cayman follows Eastern Standard Time all year long. In the winter, Cayman is on the same time as Miami and most of the US East Coast. In the summer, Cayman is one hour behind those locations, since they don't change the clocks for Daylight Savings time.

So, in January, Cayman should be on the same time as a cruise ship out of Florida.

Bookbabe has it right.

Cayman follows Eastern Standard Time all year long. In the winter, Cayman is on the same time as Miami and most of the US East Coast. In the summer, Cayman is one hour behind those locations, since they don't change the clocks for Daylight Savings time.

So, in January, Cayman should be on the same time as a cruise ship out of Florida.

And m steve has it wrong.

GC is in central time zone

In the wintertime, generally ships departing Florida will keep the same time as Cayman.

I Must Protest. I have flown there twice for vacation and we had to adjust our watch back each time. Otherwise we would have been able to fly from Tampa to GC in about an hour.

You can try persuading the United States to forgo the use of Daylight Savings Time or the Cayman islands to adopt it.

Also, your flight from Tampa, barring delays, was probably about an hour each trip. The time observed at each point was just different. :)

I have flown there twice for vacation and we had to adjust our watch back each time. Otherwise we would have been able to fly from Tampa to GC in about an hour.

There is a time difference between Cayman and Florida only during the months that the Florida observes Daylight Savings Time. For those summer months Florida adjusts its clock one hour ahead but Cayman does not. Ergo, a time difference.

When Florida moves its clock back for the winter months, Cayman again does not move its clock. Ergo, in the wintertime Cayman and Florida are on the same time.

The original question in this thread asked about any time difference in January. In January there is no time difference between Cayman and Florida.

The flight actually took about 2 hours but we gained or lost an hour due to the time change. Just look at the Cayman Air web site and you will see that it shows about 1 hour difference between departure and landing and 3 hours on the return.

If the flight leaves Tampa at 3:25 and arrives at 4:05 and then returns leaving at 11:35 and arrives at 2:15, the flight time might be 1:45 but the local time is eastern and central. I had to physically change my watch on both trips.

Sorry...I'm with drew_sailbum and turtletagger...I'm pretty sure they know what time zone they live in. :D

And, since we have property there and travel to Cayman 4+ times per year, at different times of the year, I have experienced the trip with no time change (winter), a time change in both directions (summer), and a time change in only one direction (spring/fall, when the clocks changed at home while I was in Cayman). The actual flying time for all of those flights is always the same, however...it's just my watch that might change when I land, depending on what time of the year it is.

I agree it's confusing, though...it took me years to get used to the fact that sometimes it's the same time as at home and sometimes it's not, just because they don't do Daylight Savings time and we do.

If the flight leaves Tampa at 3:25 and arrives at 4:05 and then returns leaving at 11:35 and arrives at 2:15, the flight time might be 1:45 but the local time is eastern and central. I had to physically change my watch on both trips.

When did you go? In the summer Florida is effectively on AST which is an hour ahead of GC. In the winter CG and Florida are on the same time. If you went in the summer you are correct about the time adjustment, if you went in the winter someone messed with your head.

Why is the scedule showing travel time outbound at 40 minutes and return at 2: 40? Could that be to a time change or does the plane fly faster going south?

Do you have a specific example/dates you can share? I believe the US observes the change to Daylight Savings Time in March nowadays.

Check the date you want to examine on http://www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_KY.aspx

You can select a date and time and then have this website calculate the comparable time in another location.

Seriously, I know what time it is in Cayman. Turtle Tagger knows what time it is in Cayman. Bookbabe knows what time it is in Cayman.

Two examples from Cayman Airways website for round trips from Tampa to GCM:

Tampa , FL , US To Grand Cayman , KY Friday, 08 October 10

TPA

03:25 PM

GCM

04:05 PM

Grand Cayman , KY To Tampa , FL , US Sunday, 10 October 10

GCM

11:35 AM

TPA

02:15 PM

So, in a time that Florida is observing Daylight Savings Time, it takes 40 minutes to fly from Tampa to Cayman and 2 hours and 40 minutes for the return. The difference is accounted for by a time zone difference.

Tampa , FL , US To Grand Cayman , KY Thursday, 09 December 10

TPA

02:05 PM

GCM

03:45 PM

Grand Cayman , KY To Tampa , FL , US Friday, 10 December 10

GCM

11:35 AM

TPA

01:15 PM

In December, in a time that Florida is not observing Daylight Savings Time, it takes 1 hour and 40 minutes to fly from Tampa to Cayman and the same 1 hour and 40 minutes to fly from Cayman to Tampa. This is because both locations are on the same time zone during the winter months.

Cayman is on Eastern Standard Time all year round. We do not adjust our clocks.

Florida observes Eastern Daylight Time in the summer months by moving their clocks ahead one hour, and then reverts to Eastern Standard Time for the winter months.

We all agree that there is a difference in the clocks for part of the year.

Both Cayman and Florida are in the Eastern Time Zone.

In the summer months Florida moves their clocks ahead by one hour. Cayman does not.

Florida is on Eastern Daylight Time in the summer months. Cayman remains on Eastern Standard Time all year round.

Cayman is never in the Central Time Zone. Central Daylight Time (the time showing on the clocks in Houston during the summer, for example) is the same as Eastern Standard Time (the time showing in Cayman all year round.

Here's an very good, easy to use, time zone web site:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Basic rule: The cruise ship may or may not adjust to local time.

As often mentioned, you will be notified the day before in advance if a ship's time change will occur.

Another basic rule: Always keep your watch on ship's time, or you may be waving bye-bye from the pier.

Archived