Upgrade Fairy Call: Is a window worth $100

Maple_Girl

We're sailing on the Valor next week (7 nights). We are booked in an interior room but are able to upgrade to an ocean view room for $100 (total, not each). We've never cruised before, so I don't know if it is worth it. Please mighty Cruise Critics.... direct me!

Follow-up question: If the ocean view is the way to go, should we go for the port or starboard side? We are sailing the Western Caribbean route: Miami - Grand Cayman - Roatan - Belize - Cozumel.

There are 2 ocean view rooms available: (both on the Riviera deck - our current interior stateroom deck, so no change there)

1285 - starboard/bow

1386 - port/stern

I always prefer an oceanview cabin. If, you're OK with the extra $100.00, then go for it!

I would choose the cabin towards the stern, usually a smoother ride. Inside cabins are very dark and you can't watch the sun rise/set. Either way, you'll have a great cruise.

Most definately! Extra space and natural light.

2 ports are tenders so it doesn't matter with them. We sailed the Valor last year on the port side. We backed in to Roatan and was right next to the pier, perfect. Cozumel is a coin-toss...it depends on the side of the dock the captain goes to.

Have fun...we enjoyed the Valor so much we are sailing on her again in January!!

Totally worth it, having natural light helps and being able to look outside is fantastic, don't expect the window to be crystal clear because you are on the ocean but it is clear enough to see the water and the moon, as far as to which side I like the starbord side, that seems to be the side that faces the pier the most but not always, either way go and enjoy:D:D

Well, I'm swimming against the tide here, but I'm one of those who doesn't think a window cabin is worth the extra money.

Either spend a little more & get a balcony that you can actually use, sit on, lounge on, relax on, etc., or save your money & get an inside cabin. I don't think the extra $$ for a window is worth it. Having done all 3 types, we don't do window OV cabins anymore.

Don't believe the nonsense about never wanting an inside again. That is a strictly personal thing. Yes, the outside cabins obviously have a window and more room. The inside have less motion, and are much better for sleeping if darkness is an issue, as it is with some people. Personally, I book inside, outside and balcony all the time, depending on the price. My Caribbean cruise in November is in a balcony. My eastern Mediterranean cruise next June is with Oceania, which is much more expensive than Carnival, and so we've booked an inside. We will have no difficulty with either.

That having been said, I would pay the $100 difference for the outside.

Bill

Port vs starboard makes very little difference as the ship docks differently each cruise and it could vary as to which side faces land vs. water. But I would definitely go with a window for the $100 difference. Part of the cruise experience is waking to the gorgeous ocean and seeing where you are going and coming from, from your cabin...it is invaluable (if you can afford to do this). Words just can't explain it....but you will truly love a window!!

I'm a balcony snob but will be sailing in my first inside on the Imagination next month and back to back on the Splendor next Feb/March. So I'm going to say no. :)

I say either splurge and get a balcony or go "cheap" and just get on the boat with an inside. I did book porthole cabins though. Since they are priced the same as 4A I guess I get my sunlight for free. :D

Archived