Veendam's Troubles 10/5 En Route Bermuda

tomc

Just returned from the Veendam today.

1. Lanai cabins are a great idea, and there were still ample deck chairs with views on the Promenade that didn't belonmg to the lanai cabins. Very few lanai pax were using 'their' deck chairs at any given time. If you sat in a reserved chair and the lanai pax came out wanting to use it, I am sure everyone involved would politely yield and adjust and probably have a conversation at the same time. The lanais do not detract from the Promenade experience in any way.

2. I can't imagine how substandard tiles or grout were used on the poolette, the missing tiles do look awful. But on warm sea days the retreat was filled with deck chairs both in the poolette and surrounding it, there was ample deck chair space, they can be arranged to face in any direction, and the sloshing splashing water from the poolette onto your feet was refreshing. But I do miss having a dipping pool so I wouldn't mind if they reconfigure the poolette in some way to give another place to swim, since the lido pool is small and lacking in ocean breezes. But the poolette is not a total failure. We used the aft hot tub in the rain on the way out on Monday, at sunrise in Hamilton and at sunset at sea on Saturday, and loved it.

3. I was disappointed to have our time in Bermuda cut short by a day and a half. However, if time in Bermuda is what you really want, just fly there. During the extra ship days we enjoyed beautiful weather and relaxing calm seas. We received $50 pp ship credit and a one hour free cocktail hour on Friday as compensation. We had already been given a one day transport pass (allows unlimited use of Bermuda buses and ferries) since we didn't dock near St Georges...as it was, I am glad we were in Hamilton the whole time, it was very convenient and easy to get anywhere from there. All ferries to St Georges from Hamilton had been cancelled due to a strike, which is why I think the St Georges stop was cancelled in the first place. But the bus (or rented scooter) gets you to St Georges in 1/2 hour of beautiful scenery.

4. The seas out were the roughest many seasoned cruisers had ever experienced. The rest of the cruise was perfect, with perfect weather. I believe the trip to Ft Lauderdale and on to South America will not be affected by the transformer repair.

5. Other changes since our last cruise on the Veendam in 2008: I liked the reconfigured bars on the Veendam. The Explorers lounge and library are wonderful. We weren't able to get reservations in Canaletto on Saturday, but it looks like a nice idea. We loved as you wish dining and eating with different people each night--we were seated immediately every night except one night when we were asked to return in 45 minutes. For me, not having to watch the clock to get ready for dinner makes a cruise infinitely more relaxing.

\

3. I was disappointed to have our time in Bermuda cut short by a day and a half. However, if time in Bermuda is what you really want, just fly there. During the extra ship days we enjoyed beautiful weather and relaxing calm seas. We received $50 pp ship credit and a one hour free cocktail hour on Friday as compensation. We had already been given a one day transport pass (allows unlimited use of Bermuda buses and ferries) since we didn't dock near St Georges...as it was, I am glad we were in Hamilton the whole time, it was very convenient and easy to get anywhere from there. All ferries to St Georges from Hamilton had been cancelled due to a strike, which is why I think the St Georges stop was cancelled in the first place. But the bus (or rented scooter) gets you to St Georges in 1/2 hour of beautiful scenery.

\

How did other pax take this? We missed three ports and we did not get a cocktail hour...

2. I can't imagine how substandard tiles or grout were used on the poolette, the missing tiles do look awful. But on warm sea days the retreat was filled with deck chairs both in the poolette and surrounding it, there was ample deck chair space, they can be arranged to face in any direction, and the sloshing splashing water from the poolette onto your feet was refreshing. But I do miss having a dipping pool so I wouldn't mind if they reconfigure the poolette in some way to give another place to swim, since the lido pool is small and lacking in ocean breezes. But the poolette is not a total failure. We used the aft hot tub in the rain on the way out on Monday, at sunrise in Hamilton and at sunset at sea on Saturday, and loved it.

I was under the impression that there was no water in the poolette, at least not when you left NYC. When did they add the water?

How did other pax take this? We missed three ports and we did not get a cocktail hour...

You missed your ports due the potential for a Hurricane to impact the ships and your safety, an "act of god". They missed their time at Bermuda due to a mechanical failure which is Hals' fault. Perhaps that is why they gave that extra compensation?

You missed your ports due the potential for a Hurricane to impact the ships and your safety, an "act of god". They missed their time at Bermuda due to a mechanical failure which is Hals' fault. Perhaps that is why they gave that extra compensation?

On the Sept.19 Veendam cruise we received a complimentary Happy Hour,$50.00pp OBC and a discount towards a future cruise because of an act of God. Hurricane Igor.

On the Sept.19 Veendam cruise we received a complimentary Happy Hour,$50.00pp OBC and a discount towards a future cruise because of an act of God. Hurricane Igor.

Well, I guess that just brings up yet another glaring inconsistancy :D :rolleyes:

We were also on the Maasdam 'Hurrican Earl' cruise and we got the $50 pp OBC, discount off future cruise (the amount predicated upon the amount you paid for the interrupted cruise) and free champagne with dinner the night we arrived back in Boston. Not so inconsistent.......

We were also on the Maasdam 'Hurrican Earl' cruise and we got the $50 pp OBC, discount off future cruise (the amount predicated upon the amount you paid for the interrupted cruise) and free champagne with dinner the night we arrived back in Boston. Not so inconsistent.......

So other than the cocktail hour, it was more or less the same? I stand corrected. :)

Hotel Manager Firmin van Walle was scheduled to leave Veendam today. Anyone know who the new boarding Hotel Manager is?

Hotel Manager Firmin van Walle seems to be moving around quite a bit. Two years ago he was on Maasdam, then Zaandam, and now Veendam. (And I heard a rumor that he might have been on Volendam for a stint between the Maasdam and Zaandam.)

That seems a bit odd for HAL (their 4 stripe officers seem to stay with the same ship for at least two years, excluding vacation time, of course). Not that there is anything wrong with hopping between so many ships; it just seems to be different than what I thought was the norm. Then again, maybe that is the norm and I was just incorrect.

I was under the impression that there was no water in the poolette, at least not when you left NYC. When did they add the water?

When we sailed in June I got the impression that the little water that was in the poolette was mainly rain water.

Just returned from the Veendam today.

You may not have heard prior to your cruise but the reason there was no stop in St. Georges is because the large tender which was provided by the gov't of Bermuda for that purpose was badly damaged when it broke loose from its mooring during the recent hurricane.

our first veendam voyage was very nice, with the exception of the cabin toilet not flushing occassionally, i have not seen this subject raised. Sunday morning pulling into nyc, None of the toilets on verandah port side aft were working..!!...this caused considerable concern..!!...we were a group of three couples and used to enjoy older smaller ships but....one of the rooms also had a c problem and they were given a fan.....have to rethink going on veendam again...

I thought it was because of a Hurricane Igor warning. There were two separate Bermuda issues. The first missed Bermuda and went to the Bahamas with 3 substitute ports.

Our Maasdam cruise missed 3 ports with no substitutes. It just ended early when we got back to Boston on Thursday (instead of Saturday).

We were on this cruise also and although we were dissapointed in the shortened stay I thought HAL did a good job making the best of the situation. The bus pass, $50 SBC, and free drinks helped. We love sea days and we had great weather for the extra sea day on the way back.

This was our first cruise on a ship with the "footbath" as Ruth called it during our meet & greet and was fully prepared to dislike it. While I'm not a big fan, there seemed to be no shortage of passengers making use of it on the trip back to NY. It is true that there was no water in it when we left, and I don't know when they filled it, but as soon as the seas calmed would be my guess.

We have mixed feelings about the Linai staterooms. Don't think we would want one and it does limit the deck chair choices for other passengers. Like many, we enjoy sitting on the promenade and watching the sea go by.

Thanks for all the great discussion.

Emily and I just returned from the Veendam yesterday. The cruise was great but too short. We NEVER do week cruises. Yes, we got into Bermuda late and left early. Stuff happens. Hal gave everyone a $50.00 per person credit and had one hour of complimentary drinks in all the bars. The experienced cruisers thought this was generous of Hal. Some first time cruisers thought it was not enough. I have over 700 days with Hal and there were eight of us on this cruise with over 700 days and they felt the same as I did thatHal handled the situation very well. Steven Card was on board and it was great chatting with him and seeing all his wonderful pictures. He also gave a very interesting talk one day.

Yes, the Veendam has some problems. Hal DOES need to address them and take care of their older, smaller ships. There is a need for the smaller ships, especially going to Antarctica. Experienced cruisers look at the trip as a whole, not just the ship. I would sail again on her or any DAM ship.

Emily and I just returned from the Veendam yesterday. The cruise was great but too short. We NEVER do week cruises. Yes, we got into Bermuda late and left early. Stuff happens. Hal gave everyone a $50.00 per person credit and had one hour of complimentary drinks in all the bars. The experienced cruisers thought this was generous of Hal. Some first time cruisers thought it was not enough. I have over 700 days with Hal and there were eight of us on this cruise with over 700 days and they felt the same as I did thatHal handled the situation very well. Steven Card was on board and it was great chatting with him and seeing all his wonderful pictures. He also gave a very interesting talk one day.

Yes, the Veendam has some problems. Hal DOES need to address them and take care of their older, smaller ships. There is a need for the smaller ships, especially going to Antarctica. Experienced cruisers look at the trip as a whole, not just the ship. I would sail again on her or any DAM ship.

Just to clarify, did you get a 25% rebate (what was paid on this cruise) to use on a future cruise, or is that being confused with what was offered on an earlier sailing that missed Bermuda completely and went to three other ports including the bahamas?

[quote name='mylafitz']our first veendam voyage was very nice, with the exception of the cabin toilet not flushing occassionally, i have not seen this subject raised. Sunday morning pulling into nyc, None of the toilets on verandah port side aft were working..!!...this caused considerable concern..!!...we were a group of three couples and used to enjoy older smaller ships but....one of the rooms also had a c problem and they were given a fan.....have to rethink going on veendam again...[/QUOTE]

Reminder for all:

1.Do not force any verandah door open as it fouls up the A/C systems in other rooms on the same circuit.

2. Do not flush anything that does not belong down the toilets as it fouls up the plumbing on all other systems on the same circuit.

[quote name='Jade13']Just to clarify, did you get a 25% rebate (what was paid on this cruise) to use on a future cruise, or is that being confused with what was offered on an earlier sailing that missed Bermuda completely and went to three other ports including the bahamas?[/quote]
We were offered $50.00 per person onboard credit to be used on this cruise only. Nothing was mentioned on our cruise about credit for a future cruise.

Archived