What precautions to take on European Cruises

tombourn

Any ideas on that precautions one should take on European port of calls????

Now that's a very broad subject. If you click on the Ports heading on the Cruise Critic yellow banner you will find basic information on all ports of call, including precautions and safety concerns. You can also search the Boards for info on specific ports of call.

Watch out for the pickpockets on the Rome subway - especially during 'rush hour' when you're packed tighter than sardines in a can! One managed to get get his hand inside my closed jacket, unzip the inside pocket, get his fingers into my wallet and rip four, 100 Euro notes in half. I could feel it happening - but all I could do was yell (swearing) at him because I couldn't get my arms up to do anything (it's THAT tight). I suppose I could have head-butted him... but then I would have ended up in an Italian jail charged with assault.

Bastards!

Be alert, both of where you are and who is around you. We carried "pacsafe bags" with steel cable and mesh which made them slash proof and locking pockets to avoid pickpockets. We also had reinforced straps for our expensive camera. When one of us was snapping pictures, buying something or distracted the other one kept watch. Stay with your group. We stayed in Paris and Copenhagen a few days and had no problems. After dark we stayed in lighted areas and took public transportation. We had no problems as long as we were alert. In St. Petersburg and Poland we had a private tour which we set up with the Roll Call for our cruise (join yours they are great) so we knew everyone in the group and kept track of each other, in larger groups you won't know each other and may not have anyone watching your back.

If you are prepared, sensible and alert you should have less risk.

Precaution can mean many different things to different people. Without more detail about ports, your concerns we can't give you any "opinons."

The most obvious would be around personal safety, that means different things to different people. Search the threads here and there are some who will tell you that in Barcelona you will certainly get pick pocketed. IMHO be smart and use common sense and in most ports you will be allright

Another kind of precaution s the decision between private, ship, or DIY tours and danger of missing the boat. Here again you have people that income down on all sorts of opinions and it again comes down to common sense and planning in most ports.

In the end know yourself, your limitations and the issues/challenges in each port and make the choice that is right for you. The internet and the posts here must all be read with a grain of salt and balanced against lots of other sources to appreciate what will work best for you.

Happy planning,

Any ideas on that precautions one should take on European port of calls????

Bad things can happen anywhere not just in Europe. I have travelled extensivelly in Europe, North America, Asia and the Middle East and my 2 worst experiences have both been in the US - I was pickpocketed in Chicago and almost mugged in New York (thank goodness for my tall, strong husband and son who spotted the danger when we got separated and they were able to scare the man off!). My advise is to be vigilant, only carry small amounts of cash and 1 credit card (best kept in a neck wallet), leave expensive/precious items at home and keep a record of phone numbers, card numbers etc in an accessable place in your hotel or cruise ship.

Enjoy Europe!

We were given really good advice by our tour guide in St Petersburg and we have since used this advice. Be a traveller not a tourist.!!! :D mummsie

Really good advice. No matter where we are, always try to work out the day before we go out so that you are not stuck looking at maps and generally lost. Failing that, look for a coffee shop or similar to gather your bearings.

Preparation is everything, just be really sensible about what you are doing and be aware of your surroundings, especially on busy transport such as the tube or subway.

Are you worried about the everyday perils of travel? Pickpocketing, mugging, inability to speak the language, getting scammed? Or are you worried about terrorist activity in light of the newest warnings to travellers in Europe?

I understand your concern on both counts. The first group you can prepare for... I've gotten pickpocketed in Rome....hasn't everyone?:rolleyes: Now I know to use a carabiner clip on the zippers so they won't open, to use a pacsafe bag with wire so that it won't get cut and to not get into "tight" situations like public transportation.

As for the second concern. I don't know that you can "be careful". You could stay away from the busiest markets, western hotels, biggest tourist attractions or... you could just hope that everyone is doing their job, citizens are aware of anything unusual and you are not in the right place at the wrong time. It's very frustrating!:mad:

There is nothing wrong with being a tourist. This has been discussed ad nauseum on the Europe ports of call boards. But, if you are doing a day at a port in Europe and your purpose is sightseeing, then there is nothing wrong with embracing being a tourist and seeing some great sights.

Precautions depend on the ports. Barcelona has a reputation for pickpocketing and it is important to be on guard and look out for that. Carrying a travel wallet (or money belt) helps. Also, if you are in a hotel before or after your cruise, keep your valuables in your hotel safe. Of course, learning some key phrases in the native language helps.

Stay in the tourist areas. Don't go wandering down some back road or alley. Accept only verbal directions. Don't follow any local person off the beaten path.

Plan your day before you get off the ship. Standing on a corner looking at maps is a neon sign for those intent on doing harm.

Carry as little as you can. Leave your passport on the ship and carry a copy. Leave all but one credit card on the ship. Have the credit card number and emergency phone number for the card you're using on the ship. Take as little cash as you think you will need. You can always get more from an ATM.

Be aware of those around you at all times. If you get a "funny" feeling, leave the area, duck into a cafe, or stand near some security person.

Know where the exits are in any building you enter. Be careful about the places you use the toilet.

Don't be so intent on sighseeing that you lose track of what's going on around you.

Learn to say please, thank you, stop, help, and police in the native language.

Archived