Spa tipping

tami60429

Do as I do tell at the start how much the tip will be and each time They give a sales pitch the tip is cut in half let them know after each pitch what thier tip has drop to It's very rare that they go pass the second cut. Makes the service very peaseful.

Paul

Do as I do tell at the start how much the tip will be and each time They give a sales pitch the tip is cut in half let them know after each pitch what thier tip has drop to It's very rare that they go pass the second cut. Makes the service very peaseful.

Paul

I find that method not only rude but degrading. Their job is to promote the product and believe that is part of the deal. If you don't want it, don't go to the spa. Normally, they take no just fine and leave it be.....

Paul

Excellent run on sentence!

I find that method not only rude but degrading. Their job is to promote the product and believe that is part of the deal. If you don't want it, don't go to the spa. Normally, they take no just fine and leave it be.....

I agree - I just tell them when they start to give me the sales pitch that I am not interested thank you very much. If they start up again I close my eyes and go to a better place and tune them out. This is part of their job and they must attempt to up sell you, they no more want to do this than you want to listen to it.

blindrid said:"Their job is to promote the product and believe that is part of the deal. If you don't want it, don't go to the spa. Normally, they take no just fine and leave it be..... "

I do not believe that is what we go to the spa for, I do not go there to buy product. I go for the treatment, I do not have to listen to that at home at the spa, so I will just go there. But if they are not told you do not like it, how will they ever improve?

You're in no way obligated to listen to a product spiel. I tell them I'm here to relax and get a treatment and I don't want to hear ANY sales pitch (I'm not comfortable threatening the tip, I just won't tip if they then unrelax me with a pitch). ken

I have experienced "hard" sales a couple of times after a fabulous massage and it was quite unpleasant. Now, after advice from cc, I write "NOT INTERESTED IN ANY PRODUCTS" in large letters on the card I am required to complete when arriving at the spa. So far, problem solved and no hurt feelings.

I have experienced "hard" sales a couple of times after a fabulous massage and it was quite unpleasant. Now, after advice from cc, I write "NOT INTERESTED IN ANY PRODUCTS" in large letters on the card I am required to complete when arriving at the spa. So far, problem solved and no hurt feelings.

Hmm - never thought to do this - what do you others thinking about it? Cause I am thinking it might be a good thing to do if you are not interested in products and it works. How nice would that be?

I am a massage therapist. Please, please tip those folks who give you spa treatments - they depend on tips to supplement their salary. They do not get paid much by carnival. You are also experiencing the "sales pitch" because they make a commission off of the sale. If you are not interested, a simple "no, thank you" should be fine.

Also, if you want a good massage - get in there early. They do back to back massages all day long. If you're one of the last ones at the spa, you're going to get the "worn out" massage therapist. There's only so many massages one body can give in a day - trust me - I know!

If you are not interested, a simple "no, thank you" should be fine.

You would think so, but that hasn't been my experience. The last time I listened to the whole "my body is full of toxins" spiel and I said thank you for the info, but I wasn't interested. She actually said, "So why you come today? You waste money if you not going to take care of your body.":rolleyes: Seriously, just rub my feet and let me enjoy it. She just kept harping on it. It really did ruin it for me.

You would think so, but that hasn't been my experience. The last time I listened to the whole "my body is full of toxins" spiel and I said thank you for the info, but I wasn't interested. She actually said, "So why you come today? You waste money if you not going to take care of your body.":rolleyes: Seriously, just rub my feet and let me enjoy it. She just kept harping on it. It really did ruin it for me.

If someone was stupid enough to actually say that to me, I would be walking out of there with a free or heavily discounted massage.....

I totally agree with you, I don't want to hear a sales pitch. Especially after my massage. I liked the idea of writing on the intake form in advance that you are not interested in the sales pitch. I personally will not work for a company that requires you to make commission off of merchandise. If I wanted to be in sales - I would be in sales.

Toxins? Maybe she was talking about a recent Noro Virus outbreak :eek:

I agree about saying a polite "no, but thanks for asking" and that usually ends the sales presentation.

That has always worked for me, too. No one has even tried to pitch me, and they get a cash tip if their work "exceeds my expectations".

Toxins? Maybe she was talking about a recent Noro Virus outbreak :eek:

I agree about saying a polite "no, but thanks for asking" and that usually ends the sales presentation.

Do they not do the same speech to everybody? I'm fluffy, so maybe I got the plus size speech.:D She brought out a notepad and drew pictures of my muscles (who's she kidding?) and all of my toxins that are trapped in my body. Apparently their special elixir will eliminate my toxins. My sales pitch lasted a good five to ten minutes. Did I look like a sucker or something?

I am going to do the above suggestion and write "not interested in products." That's a great idea.

Oh, and I tipped 20 percent in cash, since that was the original question.

I agree...how rude. Even at a spa on land they will recommend products, don't have to purchase them. Don't need to pre-tip............

My husband always writes "NO PRODUCTS PLEASE" on his intake form and has never gotten sales pitch since then. I forgot last time and even after I said "no thanks" she continued. I tried to mmhmm her and then ended up failing the quiz she gave me in the end. oops. I still tipped but didn't leave as relaxed as normal. (I hate to fail a test, even if I didn't want to take it. ;)

Archived