Have you ONLY used a carry on?

Young&InLove

Yes, I've done it. Rolling carryon plus a very large backpack.

Why don't you try taking only one large checked luggage between you. A rolling carryon and large backpack for one person and a personal item which can be a good sized carryon for the other person (along with the large suitcase). We always keep it to 2 pieces each so that we can handle our own luggage. This has the advantage of having several days of changes with you along with the must have's. The checked bag can be up to 29" on most airlines, but watch the weight. Our large bag has some sort of a folding section for suits and the like, and it holds a lot more than a garment bag (and I mean a lot more).

I once did a week in europe and a 2 week cruise with carry on only. I usually just do carry on (especially if I'm in europe). I also usually travel in fall or winter.

I always take more tops than bottoms. Usually 3 - 4 bottoms and around 7 - 10 tops. All my bottoms are neutral (black, navy, grey) so all my tops tend to work with all my bottoms. Wear the heaviest items on the plane. flip flops, walking shoes (or sandals depending on weather) and dress shoes for dinner.

I wash things in the sink with lingerie powder, take powder makeup, minimize my reading material (books take up a lot of space).

I wear things more than once, but I'd be surprised if anyone cares or notices.

it can be done with planning and discipline. :p

For last year's 12 day (November) Mediterranean cruise with 3 days pre-cruise and 1 post cruise in Barcelona I traveled with one 19 inch carry-on that weighed 17 pounds and a personal item (about the size of a laptop bag).

Before I learned to travel light I had luggage show up on various trips

-after I returned home,

-with 3 days delay,

-after spending the night "lost" on the tarmac during a heavy rain

-permanently lost

I really felt like I had a secret sign on my luggage "abuse me"

Once I realized that I usually wear my work clothes at least twice between dry cleaning I started feeling better about wearing the same thing twice in one week. And no one really cares what I wear but me, so as long as I'm comfortable, what do I care that I wore something before?

A black skirt or even docker type pants will be okay for formal night with a glittery or dressy top. The lighting isn't that bright. (obviously easier to pack for formal nights if female. DH has to rent tux)

Silk scarves take no room and can totally change the appearance of an outfit

Wear your coat, sweater, jeans and heavier items when boarding. I'm always cold on a plane, so even in warm weather I bring a jacket or heavy sweater. Take small electronics (ipod, camera, cell phone, chargers, travel powerstrip, kindle e-reader) in your pockets. Wear your heavier walking shoes, pack light weight sandals that can work for evening and leave the rest of your shoes at home

Those little containers that you get with make-up purchases are just the right size for a 1 - 2 week trip - never take full-sized cosmetics!

I actually pack basically the same for 4 days or 4 weeks.

I appreciate this is not the way everyone likes to travel, but it certainly works for me!

Packing list essential to prevent cramming last minute stuff in.

I have never packed in a carry on for a week long cruise, but I think I could do it if pressured to. I'm more the type that doesn't want to deal with a carry on at all if I can help it, I want to get on and off the plane as easily as possible. We usually take only one to share between the two of us and check everything else.

Working in a luggage store, I have conversations with people all the time about luggage weight. When I pack for us, our suitcases come in at around 38-42 lbs. That's with shoes, toiletries, all our clothing, etc... Our cases start out weighing around 12 lbs. empty, so we are each packing 26 - 30 lbs. per bag. To me that is not unreasonable and I don't know how people can't figure out how to pack less (weight wise). We take enough clothing and shoes, toiletries, etc... for the duration of the trip, so what is everyone packing that weighs so much?

Our toiletry bag weighs less than 2 lbs, we pack only travel sized products. Our first aid kit (usually in our carry on) is a case that is 4 X 6 and includes a representation of most typical OTC remedies plus a few bandaids.

Our clothing and shoes don't weigh all that much, each outfit isn't more than 1 or 2 lbs., we do re-wear things after having it laundered. Neither of us wants more shoes than just a few pair each. Of course, we don't travel with heavy weight clothing like jeans and boots, if we will need a jacket at all that will be worn onto the plane.

I have a feeling that many people take to heart the packing lists they read about here on CC and other sites and include a lot of stuff that really isn't necessary, like power surgers, hampers, shoe holders, duct tape, paper, cups, etc...

This is my packing list:

CLOTHING

4 shirts/blouses/tops

2-4 pairs slacks/skirts/shorts

2 pairs socks; 2 pair knee-highs

6 pairs underwear

gym shorts and tank top

nightgown

2 swimsuits

beach cover-up

pashmina

3 silk scarves

1 pair dressy sandals

flip-flops

Personal item bag and/or pockets

flashlight or night light

inflatable travel pillow

antibacterial wipes

travel mug

eye mask.

ear plugs

pen, small notebook

KINDLE with books, maps, guidebooks, phrase books, restaurant lists, telephone access numbers

camera, extra cards & batteries, charger, cable to view on TV

cell phone and charger

travel powerstrip, plug adapter

ipod, earphones

umbrella

snorkle and mask

Security Passport Pouch and wrist wallet

passport, extra passport photos

copies of important documents, (international?) driver's license

health and travel insurance information

travel tickets

charge & ATM cards,

cash

Travel kit

safety pins, rubber bands, duct tape wrapped around pen

travel sewing kit

Ziploc plastic bags

toothbrush, cap, tooth cleaner, floss

razor, nail clippers, tweezers

comb and hairbrush

eyeshadow, powder

TSA liquids

makeup (travel size, samples, "gift-sized"),

lip gloss, lipstick

3 oz tube of sunblock

travel size shampoo & conditioner

travel size deodorant

detergent sheet, spot remover, large ziplock bag for laundry

hand sanitizer

First aid bag

Excedrin migraine, Imodium, Zantac, vitamins, meds

insect repellent wipes

SPF15 lip balm

bandaids, moleskin blister protection

spare glasses,

lens cleaning wipes

Wear

jeans, blouse, walking shoes, sweater and/or coat, gloves and hat

My list includes warm weather and cold weather items - obviously I don't need both on most trips!

All this really does fit in one bag and weigh less than 17 pounds. Use small containers, not full-sized products.

I really eliminated a shopping bag sized second bag when I got my kindle - I used to bring 4 or 5 books plus travel guides and maps, and copies of all kinds of papers that I now load on the kindle.

I agree with those who complain about people with too large or too many carry-ons. The rules should be applied equally to all. But it is personal choice to determine what you need to enjoy a vacation. 2 to 4 outfits a day with shoes to match each outfit does not make me happy. __________________

@ kath coll

GREAT LIST! I just printed it myself. I do not take power surgers, etc. I've been on 4 RCCL cruises, never ever ever needed it.

However, I do take a shoe holder for over the bathroom door for all things that go in the bathroom. it keeps it SO much more organized.

thanks everyone for posting. great responses help me to believe that this IS possible! :D

Gee thanks guys - some great advice here :) I'm very ruthless and extremely daggy, so have no issues with just a carry on and a handbag for my travels!

Good luck for those trying to make the change to a lighter packing style. I have an aunty who brings everything but the kitchen sink! LOL, it always amazes me what she turns up with!

I went carry-on only for my last 7 night cruise as well all recent trips. My driving impulse was not difficulty managing my bags, but a combination of liking my belongings with me at all times and not wanting to spend money on baggage fees that could be spent on shopping or the spa. I looked at sites like onebag, but I swear by the rolling technique that I saw in this NY Times article. I can squeeze a ton of clothes in this way and never repeat outfits as I love dressing up far to much.

I suppose I do cheat a little because I travel with my 22" Travelpro carry-on, REI mini sling bag, and a purse that holds a small wristlet/clutch that I use in the evenings or in the MDR. This puts me a 1 carry-on and 2 personal items which is technically not airline policy.

This was my packing list for my last cruise in April:

Wear on plane

skinny jeans

short sleeve top

scarf

ballet flats

Carry-on

underwear

2 bathing suits

2 coverups

2 cami & shorts pajama sets

1 gown

3 pair shorts

2 skirts

1 linen pants

2 leggings

3 tanks

4 short sleeved tops

1 long sleeved top

2 dressy tops

1 fitted blazer

2 summer dress

5 dressy dresses

2 formal dresses

1 running shorts

1 yoga pants

2 tshirts

2 pairs dressy sandals (it helps if you're 6" tall and only pack flats ;))

1 pair light weight sneakers

1 pashmina

Sling bag

TSA bag (I have always uses a gallon sized ziplock bag and have never had any issues, but ymmv) - hand sanitizer, hair gel, conditioner (no shampoo as i have very curly hair and use the no poo method), body wash, lotion, spray sunblock, contact lense solution, mascarca, lip glosses.

makeup bag

pens, highlighters, journal

camera and supplies

blackberry charger

ipod charger

Small ziplock - excedrine, pepto tablets, contact case, extra pair contacts, tooth brush & paste, clippers, tweezers

small umbrella

sandals

1 lightweight summer dress

copy of travel documents board pass

Purse and wristlet/clutch

passport

wallet (only take the cards you absolutely need. debit, insurance, license, cash)

travel documents and boarding passes

blackberry

ipod

I went carry-on only for my last 7 night cruise as well all recent trips. My driving impulse was not difficulty managing my bags, but a combination of liking my belongings with me at all times and not wanting to spend money on baggage fees that could be spent on shopping or the spa. I looked at sites like onebag, but I swear by the rolling technique that I saw in this NY Times article. I can squeeze a ton of clothes in this way and never repeat outfits as I love dressing up far to much.

I suppose I do cheat a little because I travel with my 22" Travelpro carry-on, REI mini sling bag, and a purse that holds a small wristlet/clutch that I use in the evenings or in the MDR. This puts me a 1 carry-on and 2 personal items which is technically not airline policy.

This was my packing list for my last cruise in April:

Wear on plane

skinny jeans

short sleeve top

scarf

ballet flats

Carry-on

underwear

2 bathing suits

2 coverups

2 cami & shorts pajama sets

1 gown

3 pair shorts

2 skirts

1 linen pants

2 leggings

3 tanks

4 short sleeved tops

1 long sleeved top

2 dressy tops

1 fitted blazer

2 summer dress

5 dressy dresses

2 formal dresses

1 running shorts

1 yoga pants

2 tshirts

2 pairs dressy sandals (it helps if you're 6" tall and only pack flats ;))

1 pair light weight sneakers

1 pashmina

Sling bag

TSA bag (I have always uses a gallon sized ziplock bag and have never had any issues, but ymmv) - hand sanitizer, hair gel, conditioner (no shampoo as i have very curly hair and use the no poo method), body wash, lotion, spray sunblock, contact lense solution, mascarca, lip glosses.

makeup bag

pens, highlighters, journal

camera and supplies

blackberry charger

ipod charger

Small ziplock - excedrine, pepto tablets, contact case, extra pair contacts, tooth brush & paste, clippers, tweezers

small umbrella

sandals

1 lightweight summer dress

copy of travel documents board pass

Purse and wristlet/clutch

passport

wallet (only take the cards you absolutely need. debit, insurance, license, cash)

travel documents and boarding passes

blackberry

ipod

wow. that seems extensive for a carry on! i'm not the fashionable type, i don't care if i repeat outfits. and we're travelling in december. so i may be able to pull off wearing layers on the plane! :)

but kudos to you for being a light packer and fashionable! :D

I also made a packing list and realized I can buy small stuff once I get to NOLA, put it in a duffel, and throw it away after the week. I don't sweat the small stuff like throwing away a toothbrush!

I just wanted to say that I've often done that - bought toiletry items after passing through airport security or at the embarkation port, and then tossed what's left before boarding the plane home. It's a little bit of money down the drain, but it can save a lot of headaches.

I just wanted to say that I've often done that - bought toiletry items after passing through airport security or at the embarkation port, and then tossed what's left before boarding the plane home. It's a little bit of money down the drain, but it can save a lot of headaches.

Right, I'm sure toothbrush, paste, hairspray, shampoo, soap, etc.. will all cost less than $180.. or even $90 :)

This weekend I took another step in condensing my packing. I'm an avid reader so I would take at least 4 paperbacks with me. After I would read them, I would donate them to the ships library. I bought a Kindle and will load that up. Light, highly portable and doesn't take up much space.

This weekend I took another step in condensing my packing. I'm an avid reader so I would take at least 4 paperbacks with me. After I would read them, I would donate them to the ships library. I bought a Kindle and will load that up. Light, highly portable and doesn't take up much space.

What exactly is a kindle? Like an ipod with books? I keep seeing them in post titles and such. I'm not a big reader, but my family members are. It may make a nice Christmas gift.

What exactly is a kindle? Like an ipod with books? I keep seeing them in post titles and such. I'm not a big reader, but my family members are. It may make a nice Christmas gift.

That's a great description of it. It's a paperback-sized electronic reader that you can load lots and lots of books onto.

I have nearly 1000 on my Kindle, and I carry it with me everywhere. It's awesome. :)

but now I do!

I did Vegas for 5 days w/ just a carry on & a tote. This included 5 daytime outfits plus 4 nighttime & 4 or 5 pairs of shoes.

ROLLING clothes saved a TON of space--first time I tried it & I was amazed!!

Key is--lightweight black pants or skirt for evening w/ different top for each night. One pair of shoes

I can get by with 2 pair shorts & a different top for each day. One pair of shoes (tennies or walking sandals--wear these on the plane)

swimsuit, cover up & flip flops.

I think I could do it!

Like some other travelers, we prefer to travel with only carry-on bags, no matter how long the trip. There are a few key ideas that work for us:

All clothes should be lightweight, wrinkle resistant, and mix/match. Use layers for colder weather.

We use several varying size "Space Bags" and squeeze the air out by hand.

We are willing to hand-wash a few items each trip. Bring a ziploc bag with powder like Tide.

Medicine- our pharmacy will print miniature labels for our prescription drugs. We apply these labels to mini ziploc bags (available at Kmart pharmacy, Target, etc. like the kind hobbyists use for jewelry or beads) and count out the pills we need. This saves many large pill bottles and a ton of space. TSA has no problem with this.

Enjoy the challenge of packing light and you will reap the rewards of no lost luggage and no waiting!

REALLY? We'd be flying next December, 2011.. I had no idea they bought them. Will Airtran still exist, just under different management, or will their flights go to SW now?

FL/Air Tran will cease to exist, having be absorbed into WN/Southwest. Also remember there is laundry on ships. Even where there isn't self-serve (RCCL/=X=) it's still cheaper to launder a bunch of things than to pay a baggage fee both ways.

PS. I'm sure you really meant WN, not SW; right? (SW = Air Nambia)

We, too, typically travel with only carry on bags.

However, we are running into a snag on an upcoming trip. We have flight legs on Iberia and Iberia allows carryons no more than 8" deep. While we have many rolling bags that we have used as carryons, only one would qualify.

Not feeling like I want to buy another suitcase, it looks like we will check bags this time, even though on any other airline, they would qualify as carryons.

(And, btw, I will make a point of never flying Iberia again.)

PS. I'm sure you really meant WN, not SW; right? (SW = Air Nambia)

I just shortened Southwest to SW. Not Air Nambia haha.

Thanks for the great tips on saving medicine space, space bags, etc. Great tips.

And yes, I take all that for a 7 night cruise. But not all for myself. There's 5 of us.. we share 3 huge duffel bags for all 5. And then for myself I have a backpack, purse and tote for extra stuff.

Another advantage of a KIndle - you can upload word files - I have my confirmations, reservations, maps etc uploaded. Contacts information is in there too.

Some travel guides are also available.

Another advantage of a KIndle - you can upload word files - I have my confirmations, reservations, maps etc uploaded. Contacts information is in there too.

Some travel guides are also available.

That's brilliant. It would be worth the money just for that. No roaming charges by turning on the smart phones to check it, no hassle for laptops, hmmm it's definitely lurking in my mind about buying one now. Anyone know a place w. a good deal?

The BF and I are planning a cruise out of NOLA. The baggage fees are 45 per person, so that's $180 roundtrip. RIDICULOUS!

So, I was wondering if anyone out there can pack EVERYTHING in one carry on and one personal item? If so... HOW do you do it, please share your wisdom with the rest of us....

Your math is wrong. If you check 1 bag instead of 2, that is only $90 round trip. BTW - what airline are you flying that charges $45 per bag? Most charge less.

DON

Archived