Post cruise hotel questions

pjn

We will be staying two nights in Vancouver after our Coral Princess Alaskan cruise in June. We then have an 8AM flight out to the east coast. We are looking for a convenient hotel. Should we choose a hotel close to the airport since we have to be there so early for our departure? That is my present thinking. What would be the best transportation once we leave the ship? Are cabs plentiful? We have not considered any tours yet. Perhaps the hotels will offer some tours? We are a group of 7 adults, but we could travel separately. Thank you for any help in our planning!

You certainly could go out and stay at one of the hotels or motels in Richmond around the airport. The issue in my mind is that these are a minimum of 30 mins from downtown Vancouver so you will burn a valuable hour each time you go to and from the hotel to a tour. My honest advice would be to stay downtown. Once you have selected a hotel then we can help you with the transportation aspect of your post.

We will be staying two nights in Vancouver after our Coral Princess Alaskan cruise in June. We then have an 8AM flight out to the east coast. We are looking for a convenient hotel. Should we choose a hotel close to the airport since we have to be there so early for our departure? That is my present thinking. What would be the best transportation once we leave the ship? Are cabs plentiful? We have not considered any tours yet. Perhaps the hotels will offer some tours? We are a group of 7 adults, but we could travel separately. Thank you for any help in our planning!

Stay downtown. A shuttle from one of the airport hotels is probably going to only be 10 minutes quicker than taking the Skytrain (subway) from downtown. $3.75/ea from downtown to airport in 25 minutes, roll on roll off, elevators at all the stations.

Thank you for your replies. I would prefer the downtown hotel but I am concerned about our 8 AM flight. What time would we have to leave the downtown hotel and would the subway be running that early? Is it safe? Perhaps a car service? I really appreciate your input!

vancouver spent a fortune on the new train to the airport...its fast, new, clean and has security....info below...

http://www.translink.ca/en/Rider-Info/Canada-Line/Features.aspx

figure on at least a half hour on the train so give yourself time to get to the station and for a train to come...then time to check in at the airport..early start but not much worse than getting to the airport from an airport hotel

car service would take a lot longer from downtown vancouver and traffic can be a problem

you could always get to the airport early and have breakfast after you preclear us customs...tim hortons as a final goodbye to Canada eh.....

Thank you for your replies. I would prefer the downtown hotel but I am concerned about our 8 AM flight. What time would we have to leave the downtown hotel and would the subway be running that early? Is it safe? Perhaps a car service? I really appreciate your input!

You are supposed to be at the airport 2 hours early if flying to the USA. We do it often and find 90 minutes is enough. At that time of day, a taxi from your downtown hotel will be 20 minutes and cost about $25. Try to check in online. At check in, you need your US customs form filled out. If you are flying INTO Vancouver, pick one up and put it aside to fill out the night before you fly home.

Security for the US at YVR is very efficient. The only hold ups are US Customs and Immigration. They seem to sleep in and only have a few lines open early. I assume you will be on US passports. Have breakfast and buy your airline water and snacks after you have cleared security and US Customs and immigration

For an 08:00 flight, I would leave the hotel at 5:30 -5:45

The first train leaves Waterfront station at 4:50 am and operate every 6 mins thereafter. As to when you would have to leave your hotel, that would depend upon which hotel you were booked into. The travel time itself is 26 mins. With an 8 am flight you should be at the airport by 6 am. Incidentally with the Canada Line you need to be able to handle all of your own luggage and have a reasonable degree of mobility. Should you elect to take a cab the fare will run you about $35 and take about 25 to 30 mins at that time of the morning.

Archived