Golden Handicapp Cabin

CALMOM

Can someone tell me the difference between a Handicap Cabin and a regular balcony cabin? I would like to know specifically how much more room in the cabin and how is the bathroom designed for bathing. Do they have Handicap Balcony cabins on the Golden?

Thank you

There are 12 h/c balcony cabins on the Grand class ships. They are 50% larger than a normal cabin, have a roll in shower, the bathrooms have grab bars and emergency cords. They are obviously designed for handicapped people, particularly those in wheelchairs and as my wife has Stage 2, Progressive MS I am very sensitive about able-bodied people booking them.

I had polio as a child and now have found it necessary to book accessible cabins. The cabin is larger and has a larger door so there is room to store my scooter and the scooter will fit in the door. The clothes storage is different than a standard cabin. There are closets with doors not the open area. The rods pull down for access. The biggest difference is in the bathroom. There is much less storage as the area under the sink is open for wheelchair access. The toilet is handicapped height with grab bars. The shower is of the "roll-in" type with a pull down seat. Although there is a drain around the area it does not contain the water if the seas are rough. Since there is no step into the bath from the room I have had the carpet get wet during a shower. If I did not have problems with steps I would choose the standard cabin as I think it is a more efficient and comfortable design.

Thank you everyone for your help, I appreciate it. Can someone tell me if the handicap cabins with balconies are located in just one area of the Golden or are they scattered on different decks. Do they still have the furniture on the balcony for the handicap cabins? Thank you again.

They are obviously designed for handicapped people, particularly those in wheelchairs, I am very sensitive about able-bodied people booking them.

I would assume that everyone understands a Handicap Cabin is for a Handicap Person, wouldn't you? However, on occasion, the cruise line will assign a handicap cabin to an able bodied passenger, to fill up a ship.

I would assume that everyone understands a Handicap Cabin is for a Handicap Person, wouldn't you? However, on occasion, the cruise line will assign a handicap cabin to an able bodied passenger, to fill up a ship.

One might think so but unfortunately this is far from the case. But yes, at times Princess will put ablebodied people in these cabins toward the end of the booking cycle if they are available.

Thank you everyone for your help, I appreciate it. Can someone tell me if the handicap cabins with balconies are located in just one area of the Golden or are they scattered on different decks. Do they still have the furniture on the balcony for the handicap cabins? Thank you again.

This infomation is readily available on the deck plans but there are 4 each on Decks 10 - 12 and there are also 4 obstructed views on Deck 8. They are all numbered 300 thru 303 and are located abeam of the forward elevators.

Very little difference between a normal and handicap unit.

I disagree. Perhaps you need to be handicapped to note all the differences.

These cabins are specially designed for people in wheelchairs. The cabins are larger so a wheelchair is able to maneuver. Handicapped cabins are the only cabins that have a wider doorway so a wheelchair is able to get into the cabin. Wheelchairs are unable to get into regular cabins.

The bathroom is roll in (no lip) and has a shower only. It is larger so a wheelchair can maneuver. Also, there is a fold down shower seat and extra grab bars so the handicapped person can transfer themselves from the wheelchair to the shower seat. The shower head is adjustable and can be hand held. The sink will be open underneath to allow a wheelchair to wheel under it. In some cases, the bathroom mirror is adjustable. It can be slanted down so a person in a wheelchair can see themselves. Sometimes the toilet will be raised. There will be extra grab bars around the toilet to help with transfer. There will also be emergency cords in the bathroom and cabin in case of a fall.

In balcony cabins there is a ramp so a wheelchair can access the balcony. There is a low peek hole in the cabin door, wheelchair level. The bars in the closet are only 4 feet high so a person in a wheelchair is able to reach it.

OP, you don't say if anyone in your party is handicapped or not. If so, book the handicapped cabin as it is next to impossible to cruise in a wheelchair without one. If not, please book a regular cabin and leave the very few handicapped cabins to people who need them to be able to cruise.

Thank you and have a wonderful cruise.

I would assume that everyone understands a Handicap Cabin is for a Handicap Person, wouldn't you? .

No everyone does not understand this, sadly.

Many times able bodied people book these rooms for the extra space. Scuba divers love to book these cabins. The bathrooms are larger so they are able to rinse and store their tanks, and diving gear. Also, famlies like to book handicapped cabins. Lots of extra space for the kids.

Then sometimes they come on these boards and brag about the huge cabin and encourage others to book them too. Happened on a roll call I was on.

If you have any more questions come on over to the disabled forum. Lots of access to handicapped information there. :)

I disagree. Perhaps you need to be handicapped to note all the differences.

These cabins are specially designed for people in wheelchairs. The cabins are larger so a wheelchair is able to maneuver. Handicapped cabins are the only cabins that have a wider doorway so a wheelchair is able to get into the cabin. Wheelchairs are unable to get into regular cabins.

The bathroom is roll in (no lip) and has a shower only. It is larger so a wheelchair can maneuver. Also, there is a fold down shower seat and extra grab bars so the handicapped person can transfer themselves from the wheelchair to the shower seat. The shower head is adjustable and can be hand held. The sink will be open underneath to allow a wheelchair to wheel under it. In some cases, the bathroom mirror is adjustable. It can be slanted down so a person in a wheelchair can see themselves. Sometimes the toilet will be raised. There will be extra grab bars around the toilet to help with transfer. There will also be emergency cords in the bathroom and cabin in case of a fall.

In balcony cabins there is a ramp so a wheelchair can access the balcony. There is a low peek hole in the cabin door, wheelchair level. The bars in the closet are only 4 feet high so a person in a wheelchair is able to reach it.

OP, you don't say if anyone in your party is handicapped or not. If so, book the handicapped cabin as it is next to impossible to cruise in a wheelchair without one. If not, please book a regular cabin and leave the very few handicapped cabins to people who need them to be able to cruise.

Thank you and have a wonderful cruise.

Thank you for the great detail, it is exactly the information I was looking for and yes, it does take someone who is disabled or someone that is with someone disabled to understand the difference.

I was a little bit offended that you stated, that if I wasn't handicap to book a regular cabin. However, I read your next posting and I was shocked that someone is that stupid, thoughtless and disrespectful. I guess it is my ignorance, that I wouldn't even think someone, who did not require a handicap cabin, would book it for their personal need of wanting more room.

The handicap cabin is for a couple that will be joining us on our next cruise to Hawaii. The DH has end stage COPD, congestive heart failure and requires oxygen 24 hrs. The DW has post polio and severe spinal arthritis and requires a wheel chair with an able body around or a scooter, if not. She will just take her wheel chair, as my DH can assist her and we were afraid it would be difficult getting around the ship with a scooter. They will be celebrating their 50th Wedding Anniversary and would not be able to take a cruise unless we went with them, which is our pleasure.

I am a little disappointed that the cruise line would not confirm a passenger does in fact require a handicap cabin prior to booking it. I am also a little disappointed that there is so few of handicap cabins, surely I would think there is a need for more handicap cabins then they have available. I'm afraid if I came across someone, who was bragging that they booked a handicap cabin, and did not physically need it, I would make sure they did, by the time I got done with them. I have several handicap or disabled friends and they have enough difficulties to deal with, without the stupidity of others.

If someone is reading this, and has booked a handicap cabin in the past or future, and did not physically require it, try sitting in a wheelchair for 24 hours straight, maybe then you'll understand.

Again, thank you for the detailed information, it was extremely helpful.

In February this year, my husband and I were on the Westerdam and had booked an SY GTY (same as a mini-suite) and we were "upgraded" to an accessible cabin..

Well as two able bodied 45 year olds, we screamed blue bloody murder that other people may need this cabin before us.. did Holland budge.. not a chance.. I don't even think they tried to get a switch with a passenger who used a scooter or wheelchair..

In talking with a passenger across the hall in a scooter, he would have loved to have that cabin.. it was just unfortunate that we didn't meet this gentleman until the last few days of the cruise and could have arranged a cabin switch..

It STILL to this day bothers me that they did this..why? I guess we will never know.. yes we took our chances booking a gty, but that is all they had at the time of booking in the category we wanted so our hands were tied in this respect.. I just never in a million years, expected this to happen..

But as another poster stated, accessible cabins really are for those who need them and are set up that way for their comfort and convenience..

CALMOM... what a nice thing you are doing for your friends.. I hope you succeed in getting one they obviously need..

I understand the need and deplore that cruiselines don't reserve these cabins for the handicapped. But, I think it's more complicated than it appears as there are legal issues, privacy rights, etc. I don't know the legalities of what the cruiselines can or can't do, but I don't believe they can require passengers submit documentation in order to confirm someone is handicapped. I believe it's done on the honor system or if the cruise is past final payment, they can assign handicap cabins.

In February this year, my husband and I were on the Westerdam and had booked an SY GTY (same as a mini-suite) and we were "upgraded" to an accessible cabin..

Well as two able bodied 45 year olds, we screamed blue bloody murder that other people may need this cabin before us.. did Holland budge.. not a chance.. I don't even think they tried to get a switch with a passenger who used a scooter or wheelchair..

Thanks for at least trying. I think that most of us who require an h/c acknowledge that a cruise line being a business certainly should have the ability to assign unbooked h/c cabins toward the end of the booking cycle to those who may not actually need them.

What may have happened in your case, the gentleman you met may have tried to book an h/c cabin, there was none available, so he proceeded to book a regular cabin and did not wait-list himself for a h/c. We have recently had to do this ourselves but our TA was under no misunderstanding if an h/c did not clear we were not going...vola on the "real" final date an h/c cleared. The only unfortunate thing was that Princess wanted us to confirm right then and there and our TA ended up having to go up to a manager in Customer Service and get a 48 hour hold on the reservation in order for us to have time of organize air and hotel arrangements (yet another reason to use a good T/A).

We were just getting our airline tickets for next cruise and I noticed a disclaimer on the airline site that indicated you could pick a Handicapped seat but if it was needed at boarding, you'd be reassigned (if you didnt need HC) - sounds like the cruiselines need to do that - ok to reserve a handicap spot but if needs prevail you may get reassigned later.

I have just found a few pix of an H/C bathroom on the Golden.

Thank you for the pictures, it looks like it will work well for my friends. Now, we just have to hope there is a Handicap cabin available, for them to book.

Archived