Getting to Southampton from the London City Airport

susietb

Take the Docklands Light Rail from the airport to Canning Town, then change to the Underground (subway). There is only one line from there; the Jubilee line, take that westwards and allight at Waterloo [this shouuld take no more than thirty minutes]. From there take the mainline to Southampton Central. This is a lot simpler than it sounds and can be done without having to climb any steps.

At Southampton Central you can walk to the cruise port if you feel energetic! Alternatively, take a cab for the short distance.

London City is by miles the best London airport it's just a pity it doesn't have more flight but if it did that would spoil it!

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive way to get to the port?

Where are you flying to LCY from? You can likely get a flight into SOU/Southampton just as easily....

Otherwise, it's a bit of a trip back into Central London, and then a fast rail service from London's Waterloo Station. LCY is located about 6 miles east of downtown London, Waterloo is about 2 miles south of the downtown area.

Take the Docklands Light Rail from the airport to Canning Town, then change to the Underground (subway). There is only one line from there; the Jubilee line, take that westwards and allight at Waterloo [this shouuld take no more than thirty minutes]. From there take the mainline to Southampton Central. This is a lot simpler than it sounds and can be done without having to climb any steps.
Absolutely.

At the airport, there is a lift (elevator) from ground level to the DLR platform.

At Canning Town, the Jubilee Line platforms are one level down from the DLR platforms. There is a lift between these platforms.

At Waterloo, there is lift access from the platforms to street level. Then there is another lift from street level to the mainline station concourse.

Where are you flying to LCY from? You can likely get a flight into SOU/Southampton just as easily.
It depends very much on where from; there are far more flights to LCY than to SOU.

Otherwise, it's a bit of a trip back into Central London, and then a fast rail LCY is located about 6 miles east of downtown London, Waterloo is about 2 miles south of the downtown area.

Enlighten me please where/what constitutes "downtown London"?

FWIW, as the crow flies it's about 6 miles to Bank from London City Airport.

Thanks for this and Waterloo Station is indeed around two miles away. So what I always thought was the City of London is in fact downtown London! So going to work on Monday I'll sing to myself

"The lights are much brighter there

You can forget all your troubles, forget all your cares

So go downtown, where all the lights are bright"

London has a West End; East End; North of the River; South of the River; Theatreland; Chinatown; the City etc.. It does not have a 'downtown' or 'uptown' (though just to confuse the issue, whenever you travel to London frorn the surrounding area you go 'up to London' or 'up to Town' even though London is a city!) :confused:

London has a West End; East End; North of the River; South of the River; Theatreland; Chinatown; the City etc.. It does not have a 'downtown' or 'uptown' (though just to confuse the issue, whenever you travel to London frorn the surrounding area you go 'up to London' or 'up to Town' even though London is a city!) :confused:

well excuse me, I was translating for people who are unlikely to know the various districts, and using 'downtown' to represent the 'centre' of London.

No criticism intended - if they come to London and ask to be taken 'downtown' they may well be met with blank looks - that's all.

(or end up in Croydon which could be even worse!) :rolleyes:

They certainly will if they ask me - I've never quite worked out what 'downtown' means!

Archived