can we make this flight?

NoWhiners

I'm sure this was asked and answered somewhere but I did a search and the most relevant thread was from 2008!!

We will be arriving on May 1 2011 in San Diego. We will fly southwest and can get a 1:05 non-stop (our preferred time) or 3:20 nonstop. I read on another board that it has been taking until 11 am to clear customs in San Diego. We will be returning from a full transit panama canal cruise, with stops in Aruba, Costa Rica, Mexico, others, so will have to clear customs.

Any experience/advice about how close we would be cutting it if we booked the 1:05 departure? I know the airport is close and we may pay the extra $10 for early checkin. We will be taking cab to airport and I haven't been able to find a cruise ship arrival schedule for that day in San Diego (yet) so I don't know how many other ships will be in port that day, which is a Sunday.

Thanks all for any help

ML

The airport is only about 15 minutes from the port so unless you get held up by customs you should be able to make the flight.

If you are able to you can carry off your luggage. Another trick is when you fill out the dis-embarkation form list your flight as departing an hour or so earlier to ensure you are in one of the first groups to get off the ship.

Hope this helps.

Barb

Thanks for your info. we always say we are flying out an hour early on the form we fill out for HAL! I didn't think of doing the "carry bags off" option--thanks for reminding me. it seems like we should be able to make this flight pretty easily but I am concerned based on recent posts to other threads.

It is OK with me if we miss the flight--I will be retired!! Hubby, on the other hand, won't be and needs to be at work the next day :(

Thanks for your help.

Am still looking for any other advice??

I cannot imagine that you would have trouble making that flight!

"Clearing customs" consists of filling out a form and handing it to someone.

Unless there are a lot of non USA citizens on board who do not show up for THEIR immigration check before you are allowed to disembark , then there should be no probs at all.

We don't take a lot of luggage so always do the self disembark but I think you should be OK no matter which way you do it.

We have been on two cruises into and returning to San Diego. All ports were in Mexico. Customs and Immigration was very simple and quick. On the second cruise we were some of the last people off, about 10 AM. They dealt with the non US citizens before debarkation. I don't know how that went, but for US citizens San Diego was easy and quick. The last cruise was in February.

My cousin had a flight sometime between 12 and 1 and she was fine. I would think the 1:05 should be fine. I will add that I had to duck into the airport at Southwest and I have never seen it so crowded.

Jen in SoCal

I'm sure this was asked and answered somewhere but I did a search and the most relevant thread was from 2008!!

We will be arriving on May 1 2011 in San Diego. We will fly southwest and can get a 1:05 non-stop (our preferred time) or 3:20 nonstop. I read on another board that it has been taking until 11 am to clear customs in San Diego. We will be returning from a full transit panama canal cruise, with stops in Aruba, Costa Rica, Mexico, others, so will have to clear customs.

Any experience/advice about how close we would be cutting it if we booked the 1:05 departure? I know the airport is close and we may pay the extra $10 for early checkin. We will be taking cab to airport and I haven't been able to find a cruise ship arrival schedule for that day in San Diego (yet) so I don't know how many other ships will be in port that day, which is a Sunday.

Thanks all for any help

ML

I cannot imagine that you would have trouble making that flight!

"Clearing customs" consists of filling out a form and handing it to someone.

Unless there are a lot of non USA citizens on board who do not show up for THEIR immigration check before you are allowed to disembark , then there should be no probs at all.

We don't take a lot of luggage so always do the self disembark but I think you should be OK no matter which way you do it.

We have been on two cruises into and returning to San Diego. All ports were in Mexico. Customs and Immigration was very simple and quick. On the second cruise we were some of the last people off, about 10 AM. They dealt with the non US citizens before debarkation. I don't know how that went, but for US citizens San Diego was easy and quick. The last cruise was in February.

My cousin had a flight sometime between 12 and 1 and she was fine. I would think the 1:05 should be fine. I will add that I had to duck into the airport at Southwest and I have never seen it so crowded.

Jen in SoCal

riff and Jen

Thanks so much for confirming we should be OK!! Hubby will be happy we can get home a little sooner so he cn go to work the next day (I will be retired by then, so no worries!)

ML

OP- Both times I've used SD, disembarkation was severely delayed. Even so, I was on the street by 11am so 1:05pm shouldn't be a problem due to proximity of the airport.

FYI, I self-disembarked both times. One delay was due to some non-citizens not reporting to the Immigration officer onboard (numerous "all-ship" pages too!) The second time was the same thing, plus two ships arriving the same morning. Passengers are not allowed to disembark until each and every one has cleared Immigration; so one clueless person who can't follow simple printed instructions can delay an entire ship!

All this talk about delays is getting off the ship in San Diego and the number of ships in port. I made a 12.20 reservation out of San Diego after our cruise to Hawaii. Did I make a mistake as there may be up to 3 ships in port that sunday. Do you think I still have a shot at making a 12:20 flight on Southwest?

OP- Both times I've used SD, disembarkation was severely delayed. Even so, I was on the street by 11am so 1:05pm shouldn't be a problem due to proximity of the airport.

FYI, I self-disembarked both times. One delay was due to some non-citizens not reporting to the Immigration officer onboard (numerous "all-ship" pages too!) The second time was the same thing, plus two ships arriving the same morning. Passengers are not allowed to disembark until each and every one has cleared Immigration; so one clueless person who can't follow simple printed instructions can delay an entire ship!

kenish

was this recently? this is what has been reported on other forums and why I asked. these posts were clear that this is the exception but seems to occur enough to be careful! I figure that of there is a clueless person within 100 miles, they will be onboard with us!!

thanks for your post

ML

All this talk about delays is getting off the ship in San Diego and the number of ships in port. I made a 12.20 reservation out of San Diego after our cruise to Hawaii. Did I make a mistake as there may be up to 3 ships in port that sunday. Do you think I still have a shot at making a 12:20 flight on Southwest?

cruisenut

It sounds like you will be OK. We booked the 1:05 pm flight and will self-disembark just to be sure. We would rather wait in a taxi line or at airport than stress over making it on time. Plus, I am still trying to see how many ships will be in port that day. Since this is still unknown, we will hedge our bets by assuming we will walk our bags off ourselves. does save all the time hunting for them in terminal!!

good luck

ML

NoWhiners- The first time was 5 years ago on the Infinity; the most recent was this last May on the Oosterdam. Neither were the fault of the respective cruiselines. I wouldn't worry too much, I think 1:05pm will be fine.

NoWhiners- The first time was 5 years ago on the Infinity; the most recent was this last May on the Oosterdam. Neither were the fault of the respective cruiselines. I wouldn't worry too much, I think 1:05pm will be fine.

kenish

Thanks for the details. I am feeling a lot better about this!

As kenish said, even with long delays you will be off by 11, which has been my experience also. Ships dock around 6:30, and usually you can get off around 8. And don't worry too much about 3 ships in port. That is extremely rare in San Diego.

drifting

This is good info about the number of ships in port. Thanks for posting.

We booked the 1:05 flight, great because it is also a non-stop. Thanks all for the help!

happy cruising

ML

• 4 months later...

The overall situation at SD is pretty unchanging; the comments a few months ago still apply. 12:35 is a bit tight but 90% change you will be OK. If you're the type to get stressed over uncertaintly, there's lots of nice things to see and do in SD so take the 4pm. I realize that may get you home very late though.

There is only one ship in port that day which makes a huge difference. Although it will be crowded and the taxi lines can be long, I think it is completely doable. You can see the airport from the cruise port, it's only a mile or two at the most. More than likely you will end up waiting at the airport for several hours before your flight.

We have only disembarked in San Diego once and it was delayed. Our group was the third to be called off and we weren't off the ship until about 9:15 am. The first group off (self disembarkers) were off the ship by 8:50 am.

We opted to have our luggage taken off the ship the night before and it took us about 30 seconds to find it.

Thank you both for the info.

Another question or two if I may.

How do I sign up for self - disembark?

Is there any way to ensure with Carnival we get in the first or 2nd group off?

Most cruise lines will offer this option at their Customer Service desk during the latter part of the cruise.

Be aware that it is popular and many people schlepp large bags or multiple bags. We only self-disembarked once and will never do it again unless it's an emergency. Lines are too long, it's hard to get down stairs, escalators, etc...with suitcases. The good news for us is now that it has become so popular there aren't nearly as many bags to look through at the terminal. I swear the last 3 cruises our luggage has literally been at our feet when we enter the luggage holding area.

So if you choose this option, pack light, use only one suitcase and use a whole lot of patience

Thanks for the info. We actually had to book the 4pm as the 1230pm was already sold out!

Which brings me to my next question.

Is there anywhere we can store luggage so we can goof around San Diego for the day? Or will we be spending the day at the airport?

Archived