Sunday in St. Thomas

KansasCityGuys

At the end of November we are taking the Eastern Caribbean Cruise on the Emerald. For St. Thomas we currently have the shore excursion Blackbeard's Castle and Magens Bay reserved. The very last stop on this shore excursion is a stop to the downtown area for some shopping.

The only possible problem I could see regarding this shore excursion and St. Thomas is that we will be in St. Thomas on a Sunday. From what I have been reading is that most of downtown shuts down in the afternoon on Sunday's.

If this is true and nothing is open and lets say the shops had just closed when we get to downtown, I will be in hot water with my partner. I am sure there is a flea market in the cruise ship area, but that's not the same as shopping downtown to him, even though I am sure you can get the same stuff at a cheaper price.

I would appreciate any feedback anyone can give me. Is it true that nothing will be going on downtown or is it possible that they may reverse the order of this shore excursion?

Thank you!

Hi There,

Its a few years since we were in St Thomas on a Sunday, however most shops were open but some did not open until 10.00am can not recall what time they closed, however there was a number of ships in that day.

yours Shogun

The Emerald Princess typically docks at Crown Bay. There isn't much shopping there, but if there is a ship at Havensight, the stores there will be open. On Sundays, the downtown stores may close a bit early, but if they are taking you on an excursion, the tour operator will know the hours! There isn't a "flea market" in St Thomas, although there is a outdoor plaza set up for vendors downtown.

At the end of November we are taking the Eastern Caribbean Cruise on the Emerald. For St. Thomas we currently have the shore excursion Blackbeard's Castle and Magens Bay reserved. The very last stop on this shore excursion is a stop to the downtown area for some shopping.

The only possible problem I could see regarding this shore excursion and St. Thomas is that we will be in St. Thomas on a Sunday. From what I have been reading is that most of downtown shuts down in the afternoon on Sunday's.

If this is true and nothing is open and lets say the shops had just closed when we get to downtown, I will be in hot water with my partner. I am sure there is a flea market in the cruise ship area, but that's not the same as shopping downtown to him, even though I am sure you can get the same stuff at a cheaper price.

I would appreciate any feedback anyone can give me. Is it true that nothing will be going on downtown or is it possible that they may reverse the order of this shore excursion?

Thank you!

We were in St Thomas on Sunday back in 07. I was told that the shops in town were closed on Sunday. We did shop at the port location. I was also told that everything that you can get in town was the same as what you can get at the port. It's not really a flea market that you would find in some third world country. We purchased a clock and they shipped it for free back to our home in Ca. I was a little skeptical but it arrived at our home about a week later in perfect condition.

Archived