"Guarantee" Cold Feet?

discjoker

Okay, when I booked my E. Caribbean cruise on the Zuiderdam the online agency I was using only had GTY as an option when I booked. Checking now it seems as though they have actual cabins available to assign. I spoke with them and they said if I wanted to they could change it from a GTY to an actual cabin. What should I do? I like the concept of a GTY as there is always a change of an upgrade but I am kinda getting cold feet about it. It eases my mind to know exactly where my cabin is but I am little bit of a gambler and risk taker so I like the GTY as well. What should I do? Also, any upgrade experiences when having a GTY? I have booked a VD for this cruise. Thanks!

It boils down to this, IMO: if you don't care where you are on the ship, stay with the guarantee. The VD will be a nice cabin, and you're assured of getting at least that and maybe higher ... without paying a higher price. For the Caribbean, there really isn't one side of the ship that's best. So I'd just hang on to what you have and let the dice roll.

Hi

I think, if you choose a cabin, you will pay a little more, and there will be no upgrades. But, if you prefer a certain part of the ship, then you should go with the definate cabin. I don't walk well, especially in heels at night, so I like to be as close to an elevator as possible in the middle of the ship. But, you may be a young healty person who don't mind long walks, and so you might as well take your chances.

I did a guarantee on Galaxy last year, and got the top cabin with an oceanview. Funny thing was, we knew our cabin almost immediately. When I was booking shore excursions, I noticed that it had already been assigned. I was relieved and delighted with the cabin itself. Even though it was at the very back of the ship, it was only two doors from the open rear of the boat. It was like having a huge balcony right outside our door.

I hoped I helped. Enjoy your cruise.

Normally, there is a charge when you change from a guarantee to an actual category because the guarantee price was so good.

Actually the pricing is the same between the VD GTY and the assigned VD cabins at least thru the agency I am using. I guess what happened was when I made my booking the availability wasn't loaded into the system so the only choice was a GTY. Now they have actual cabins available and the pricing is the same.

Hi

I think, if you choose a cabin, you will pay a little more, and there will be no upgrades.

Actually, that's not accurrate. The price should be the same (at least with many TA's), and there is still a chance of an upgrade.

The chances of an upgrade are smaller when you choose a specific cabin, under the assumption that you know what you want. But you can pick a cabin, and have your TA mark your file that an upgrade is acceptable.

It boils down to this, IMO: if you don't care where you are on the ship, stay with the guarantee. The VD will be a nice cabin, and you're assured of getting at least that and maybe higher ... without paying a higher price. For the Caribbean, there really isn't one side of the ship that's best. So I'd just hang on to what you have and let the dice roll.

Thank you....and how did I know I would hear the phrase "let the dice roll" from you :) ? You better watch out, I will be in Vegas in 2 weeks and that town will never be the same again! ;)

Archived