e-check in potential snafu

dvrdude

I went to do the preliminary check-in for my up coming (Dec) cruise, and noticed something strange. One of the required fields in the passport info section is the "city of issue". I remember that my previous passport had an issueing city, but my new one does not. Simply says "US State Dept." As not putting anything in the blank is not an option, I was forced to make up a "city". anyone else notice this???

I went to do the preliminary check-in for my up coming (Dec) cruise, and noticed something strange. One of the required fields in the passport info section is the "city of issue". I remember that my previous passport had an issueing city, but my new one does not. Simply says "US State Dept." As not putting anything in the blank is not an option, I was forced to make up a "city". anyone else notice this???

Just put US State Dept. It works just fine.

That field is a throwback to when they used to put the passport agency on the passport so the State Department would know where your records were kept. They don't do that anymore.

Thanks, all. I didn't mean that I made up a city. I know I sent my passport stuff to chicago, so that's what I put down, even though it doesn't say so on the PP. They really need to update their form.

I doubt that will happen until all the passports that still have a processing city on them expire, which isn't due to happen for another couple of years.

This is not a "snafu". The issuing city should read "US Department of State". DO NOT MAKE UP A CITY OR INCLUDE ONE THAT IS NOT ON THE PASSPORT ITSELF, that is going to cause more trouble than you can imagine.

I just put in US State Dept.

This is not a "snafu". The issuing city should read "US Department of State". DO NOT MAKE UP A CITY OR INCLUDE ONE THAT IS NOT ON THE PASSPORT ITSELF, that is going to cause more trouble than you can imagine.

We live in upstate NY AKA - no cities. We had to go to the "town clerk" of our county to get a passport (her garage doubles as the "office" and "traffic court" in the evening-they rearrange the folding chairs to look like court.) The passport has nothing listed as for city so I just put in our little humble town where the clerk's garage is. It is NOT a problem at all and Firefly is right - it is for the people who had the city listed on theirs. We have sailed and travel extensively with our clerk garage town listed as city of issue. Don't worry, just change it to the place you went to have it processed (some people fill it out at post offices, which in that case I would put where the PO is located as the town). If not use the US Dept option as someone else suggested.

We live in upstate NY AKA - no cities. We had to go to the "town clerk" of our county to get a passport (her garage doubles as the "office" and "traffic court" in the evening-they rearrange the folding chairs to look like court.) The passport has nothing listed as for city so I just put in our little humble town where the clerk's garage is. It is NOT a problem at all and Firefly is right - it is for the people who had the city listed on theirs. We have sailed and travel extensively with our clerk garage town listed as city of issue. Don't worry, just change it to the place you went to have it processed (some people fill it out at post offices, which in that case I would put where the PO is located as the town). If not use the US Dept option as someone else suggested.

Incorrect. Your passport was not processed by your town clerk. It was processed by a regional Department of State Passport Center, most likely in NYC. This field is a throw back to before the Department of State kept their records a centralized location and records were kept in the regional centers only.

You are, however, correct in that the poster should be using US Dept. of State and this it does not create a major issue because, as stated before, all the records are now centralized.

Incorrect. Your passport was not processed by your town clerk. It was processed by a regional Department of State Passport Center, most likely in NYC. This field is a throw back to before the Department of State kept their records a centralized location and records were kept in the regional centers only.

You are, however, correct in that the poster should be using US Dept. of State and this it does not create a major issue because, as stated before, all the records are now centralized.

Thanks for clarifying, I do know that the clerks garage didn't do the passport itself, but I did want the OP to know that not having that info on Carnival will not hold up anything. We always use the little town name when they ask because we have in the past and it works (They rarely ask even on land based customs checks in Europe anymore but if they do need "city" we figure we better keep it consistent.) "City" disappeared from Italy's application for a VISA last year, although it is still on the general form they hand out on the plane. When we flew into Paris, they told us on the plane we could leave the city blank if it wasn't printed actually on the passport.

I live in the sticks and my passport, which was issued in 2001, has the city listing as BOSTON. When I get it renewed in a few months, it will say US Dept of State, like all of them do now.

It is highly unlikely this will cause any issues. Most people do like the poster and input the city where the obtained the passport. The correct answer is the Dept of State, but then again Carnival knows that so if it is a US passport they will already know that.

Archived