Is Spirit that bad

Hi all

Advice please.

We have cruised with Thomson, FO and P&O.

Love Thomson Destiny and are looking for Sept 2011 on Celebration or Spirit.

My wife says eveyerbody on Destiny a few weeks back told her the Spirt vibrates very much.

Is this a myth or a half truth or wow..... it does vibrate:)

Take it easy.

Thanks

Hi all

Advice please.

My wife says eveyerbody on Destiny a few weeks back told her the Spirt vibrates very much.

Take it easy.

Thanks

Some say it is the truth but I have never noticed it and it is my favourite ship in the fleet. I think if you stop and look for it you will probably find it but I am too busy having a good time to do that.

I love her and can't wait to get back onboard next week :-)

yes she does vibrate and the first time on her it's quite interesting but after a while you don't notice it anymore. It also helps lull you to sleep but to be honest she is such a fantastic ship with an even more fantastic crew that I love sailing on her. been on twice aug 08 and aug 2010 and will probably be on there again next year. My advice to you is book up you won't regret it.

I have sailed with P&O and Thomson, I loved Spirit when I sailed on her in March this year. Yes there is a slight vibration, but nothing to bother you, and after a few hours at sea, you did not even notice it, well we didn't.

Great ship, great staff, entertainment, food and itinerary, so I was not going to let a little vibration spoil that. :)

Why do people try to put others off by going on about vibration? I can't comment about Spirit but I have heard many people talk and complain about vibration on Celebration. In reality, on Celebration there is a slight shudder caused by the generator, but it really is nothing to be concerned about and you get used to it very quickly. I presume it is the same on Spirit.

We were on Regent Seven Seas Voyager last year. On the Regent board there were many posts "advising" others not to get a cabin (sorry, suite) at the rear of the ship because of the vibration. I suppose if you were the proverbial princess who could feel a pea under 20 mattresses you might be aware of it, but again, in reality, hardly noticeable.

The moral of this - ignore the doom-mongers!!

Spirit like here sister Celebration was built on a half completed container ship hull which was going cheap in a previous recession. As passengers ships have to have at least 2 propellors they had to fit in a second diesel engine. This left little room for the electric generator so they fitted a single VERY low revving engine and it is this which generates the famous 'wobble'.

Notice I say wobble because in my opinion it is not a vibration more a low frequency oscillation that comes and goes due to the complex laws of harmonics!. It is more obvious at the extremities ie the stern or up in horizons bar. People react to it in different ways but after 5 cruises on Spirit/Celebration I hardly notice it. Actually when we had generator failure on the Red Sea the wobble stopped and everyone noticed. Thirty minutes later it started again and we all relaxed :D

You should like the buffet restaurant on Spirit as it is a full inside restaurant.

A word of advice. Pay the fee and reserve a specific cabin. My advice is to stick to the front 2/3 of the ship and avoid the rear stairwell.

Cheers Dave,

Appreciate that advice about the cabin, will do.

Booking for September 2011 with Thomson at the weekend, then that rounds off the cruise bookings until Nov 2012. Hard life sometimes.

Got the BOB to look forward to next April:eek: then P&O India in 2012 Jan.

Take it easy.

• 10 months later...
Why do people try to put others off by going on about vibration? ... I suppose if you were the proverbial princess who could feel a pea under 20 mattresses you might be aware of it, but again, in reality, hardly noticeable.

I'm not the princess, and in fact as a keen mountaineer I spend a fair bit of time wild camping, sleeping without a mattress of any kind. But... on our first cruise there were about half a dozen things that we didn't like and that put us off cruising, and the constant vibration was one of them. I didn't really get a good nights sleep the whole trip - one reason I'd never book a 2 week cruise!

But there are plenty of good things about cruising and missing a few hours sleep isn't so bad as a price to pay to visit some very special places.

PS. I only just found this thread by accident. Not sure what I pressed but it suddenly showed up at the top of the list!

Hi all

Advice please.

Take it easy.

Thanks

Personally I was very conscious of it, especially in Horizons bar. So much so that I noticed when it stopped! which it would for a while. It's not so bad that it would put you off but it's definately there! We've booked Destiny next June and I'm hoping theres no repeat performance, can anyone tell me that please?

Just back from the Spirit ! The vibration is annoying at times especially when you are lying on a sunlounger.

There are other things on the Spirit we were not too happy with. The worn carpets and thin off white towels. The food was often cold or dry. There was nothing for my teenage sons to do. The toilet system did not work too well and the public toilets were out of order on the last day.

The good things were the scones at afternoon tea, the smooth emarkation process and the hard working staff.

Perhaps we were unlucky but I dont feel I would take a second risk. I have cruised 8 times before with other cruise lines all of which were far superior.

Hi everybody,

Never went on the Spirit after all. Booked on the Destiny instead in Sept 2010.

The original post is last years and I forgot I had posted it.

I would though have no problems about the Spirit reading the posts on here, the one about vibration sends you to sleep was a classic.

We are trying RCI in September and just hope its as good as Thomson.

Take it easy and happy cruising....

Why do people try to put others off by going on about vibration? I can't comment about Spirit but I have heard many people talk and complain about vibration on Celebration. In reality, on Celebration there is a slight shudder caused by the generator, but it really is nothing to be concerned about and you get used to it very quickly. I presume it is the same on Spirit.

The moral of this - ignore the doom-mongers!!

We were on her in April and it's more of a wobble than a vibration and didn't bother us. We noticed it a bit in the Horizons Lounge up the front of the ship but not in the cabin or inside the ship. We would go back on her in a flash.

We've been on bigger, more modern U.S. ships that had more of a vibration

Berwyn

We go on the Spirit in 59 days. It's our first cruise and have been looking forward to it for many months. Had the worst year of my life as my father passed away in March and also had other problems but thinking about our little holiday does give us something to look forward too. So after the worst year of my life i am not going to worry about a little vibration! I think of it as part of the experience of cruising and as the majority of people say, you get used to it after a while. Life is too short to worry about a bit of vibration and a bit of worn carpet here and there! Its up to you to make the most of your holiday, not to go looking for problems as soon as you board the ship as so many seem to do :rolleyes:

Hope everyone has a fantastic time on their holidays :)

We go on the Spirit in 59 days. It's our first cruise and have been looking forward to it for many months. Had the worst year of my life as my father passed away in March and also had other problems but thinking about our little holiday does give us something to look forward too. So after the worst year of my life i am not going to worry about a little vibration! I think of it as part of the experience of cruising and as the majority of people say, you get used to it after a while. Life is too short to worry about a bit of vibration and a bit of worn carpet here and there! Its up to you to make the most of your holiday, not to go looking for problems as soon as you board the ship as so many seem to do :rolleyes:

Hope everyone has a fantastic time on their holidays :)

Hi there sorry to hear about you father but what a real good post, sentiments that we all should follow.

You will have a fantastic time I am sure.

Hi all

Advice please.

Take it easy.

Thanks

Hi

Have been on Destiny 3 times and Spirit twice, going on Spirit again in 2 weeks. No problems with Spirit, similar to Destiny but smaller so getting into Lido restaurant was much easier as there were also more seats. Did not feel any vibrations and for a few days we were in a force 8 gale! Would highly recommend Spirit.

• 2 years later...

Cappers, we didn't get to go in Neptunes.. just didn't get round to it as the entertainment at the hotel was brilliant every night. Loved the Nostalgia show at Benidorm Palace though, there was a large group of about 40 Michael Jacksons for a start.

Archived