Is Spirit that bad

Hi everybody,

Never went on the Spirit after all. Booked on the Destiny instead in Sept 2010.

The original post is last years and I forgot I had posted it.

I would though have no problems about the Spirit reading the posts on here, the one about vibration sends you to sleep was a classic.

We are trying RCI in September and just hope its as good as Thomson.

Take it easy and happy cruising....

You will be very very happy with RCI!....Good choice :)

I am also sure they appreciated going on RCI vs. a line that has all hand me down ships. Happy Cruising!

But do we care? You seem to be convinced that 'hand-me-down' ships are per se something to be avoided at all costs. Some of us may have different priorities and preferences to you.

Your affection for the Majesty despite being an old ship is well documented. You were quick enough to spring to her defense in the Majesty/Spirit debate. Do you not think that we may like or even prefer ships with character, warmth and a soul? Well yes, some of us do like the Majesty and the Spirit and the Thomson way of doing things!

We have travelled with NCL and haven't returned. I found the decor very garish, in your face and brash - as indeed were many of the passengers. We have chosen not to return to this cruise line. By contrast our recent trip with P&O we enjoyed very much and would go back with them (they do have newer ships by the way) but we still travel with Thomson because there is something different and for some of us something we value about Thomson which over-rides an 'old ship'. Not everyone is seduced by glitz and glamour. For some what's beneath the surface might be more important.

I'll never forget the standing ovation given by many in the audience to one performer on an NCL ship. The performance was second rate at best. The lady in the next seat to me said 'Oh dear, I'm used to Thomson's standard of entertainment'. The NCL offerings were very poor by comparison. For some this may represent an important factor in their decision-making.

As someone else has pointed out you get superb service which is genuine and friendly which, since tips are included in the price, is not the motivating factor for such excellent service!!! (And contrary to your assumption - yes many of us do tip quite generously in addition to those tips subsumed within our cruise price. But since the crew are paid properly from the get-go they don't rely on the requirement of tips to make ends meet. The classical musicians told us they were paid exactly twice as much on Thomson compared with Holland America and therefore would not consider going back to HAL.)

We also like port days - I have yet to find a cruise line offering a better ratio of port:sea days, typically one sea day per week with Thomson. One could argue that's ok to have lots of sea days because of all the facilites and activities on offer on new modern ships (and opportunities to keep you spending on board). But what if your desire to go on a cruise is to do with seeing new places, experiencing different cultures and actually getting off to appreciate new places? I would much rather trade another port for a water slide/climbing wall/cinema under the stars or atrium. What's with the obsession with an atrium anyway? I'll leave those who prefer to sit and gaze at all the chrome and glass and lifts going up and down to get off the ship and experience something of the country I'm visiting.

So, it actually suits some of us to travel with Thomson. That's not to say we wouldn't like some newer ships but if the choice is between atmosphere, warm friendly crew and fellow passengers, great entertainment, more ports per week and convenient flights from local airports (all tied in with the cruise - no kicking you off to Istanbul airport at 9.00 for a 17.00 flight!) or an all-singing, all-dancing new ship which doesn't deliver some of the things I value, then my choice is still Thomson.

You clearly have different requirements and I respect your choice. What baffles me is your insistence on denigrating Thomson and their passengers because they make a different choice from you all based on the age of a ship. Especially since you have no experience of the Thomson product, or their ships or, crucially, an appreciation of their passengers.

At least these are my thoughts and reasons for travelling with Thomson. Others will have different views - and that's why we have so many ships and choices available to us.

I am not a troll, however i'll never pop over to the Thomson boards again, you can keep your old run down ships, and have fun!

I am also sure they appreciated going on RCI vs. a line that has all hand me down ships. Happy Cruising!

Thought you weren't a troll, and you were proving it by not coming on this forum anymore?

But do we care? You seem to be convinced that 'hand-me-down' ships are per se something to be avoided at all costs. Some of us may have different priorities and preferences to you.

Your affection for the Majesty despite being an old ship is well documented. You were quick enough to spring to her defense in the Majesty/Spirit debate. Do you not think that we may like or even prefer ships with character, warmth and a soul? Well yes, some of us do like the Majesty and the Spirit and the Thomson way of doing things!

We have travelled with NCL and haven't returned. I found the decor very garish, in your face and brash - as indeed were many of the passengers. We have chosen not to return to this cruise line. By contrast our recent trip with P&O we enjoyed very much and would go back with them (they do have newer ships by the way) but we still travel with Thomson because there is something different and for some of us something we value about Thomson which over-rides an 'old ship'. Not everyone is seduced by glitz and glamour. For some what's beneath the surface might be more important.

I'll never forget the standing ovation given by many in the audience to one performer on an NCL ship. The performance was second rate at best. The lady in the next seat to me said 'Oh dear, I'm used to Thomson's standard of entertainment'. The NCL offerings were very poor by comparison. For some this may represent an important factor in their decision-making.

As someone else has pointed out you get superb service which is genuine and friendly which, since tips are included in the price, is not the motivating factor for such excellent service!!! (And contrary to your assumption - yes many of us do tip quite generously in addition to those tips subsumed within our cruise price. But since the crew are paid properly from the get-go they don't rely on the requirement of tips to make ends meet. The classical musicians told us they were paid exactly twice as much on Thomson compared with Holland America and therefore would not consider going back to HAL.)

We also like port days - I have yet to find a cruise line offering a better ratio of port:sea days, typically one sea day per week with Thomson. One could argue that's ok to have lots of sea days because of all the facilites and activities on offer on new modern ships (and opportunities to keep you spending on board). But what if your desire to go on a cruise is to do with seeing new places, experiencing different cultures and actually getting off to appreciate new places? I would much rather trade another port for a water slide/climbing wall/cinema under the stars or atrium. What's with the obsession with an atrium anyway? I'll leave those who prefer to sit and gaze at all the chrome and glass and lifts going up and down to get off the ship and experience something of the country I'm visiting.

So, it actually suits some of us to travel with Thomson. That's not to say we wouldn't like some newer ships but if the choice is between atmosphere, warm friendly crew and fellow passengers, great entertainment, more ports per week and convenient flights from local airports (all tied in with the cruise - no kicking you off to Istanbul airport at 9.00 for a 17.00 flight!) or an all-singing, all-dancing new ship which doesn't deliver some of the things I value, then my choice is still Thomson.

You clearly have different requirements and I respect your choice. What baffles me is your insistence on denigrating Thomson and their passengers because they make a different choice from you all based on the age of a ship. Especially since you have no experience of the Thomson product, or their ships or, crucially, an appreciation of their passengers.

At least these are my thoughts and reasons for travelling with Thomson. Others will have different views - and that's why we have so many ships and choices available to us.

Ok, lets call it what it is, the British market is just a different market than the U.S. If I came off as crass, I do apologize. You bet I am gonna give Thomson a whirl at some point, which you all probably know which ship :). Definitely not trying to make enemies on the boards here, for that I do apologize. I really do hope everyone enjoys there cruises and has a blast!.....I apologize again :)

Ok, lets call it what it is, the British market is just a different market than the U.S. If I came off as crass, I do apologize. You bet I am gonna give Thomson a whirl at some point, which you all probably know which ship :). Definitely not trying to make enemies on the boards here, for that I do apologize. I really do hope everyone enjoys there cruises and has a blast!.....I apologize again :)

Thank you - I appreciate your apology and I too have no wish to be at odds with fellow CCers. You are quite right the British market is very different from the American one although many Brits do love and prefer the resort style ships. But familiar, comfortable, warm and friendly also has its place. Horses for courses as we would say. I'm sure you would find a Thomson cruise quite an experience. Whether on balance you would be 'sold' on the Thomson product I wouldn't like to say but I feel sure there would be some aspects you would enjoy - some pluses as well as some minuses and they do offer some great itineraries But as happy v says you would find the crew and passengers extremely friendly and welcoming. Enjoy your cruises too. :)

Hi.....I was puzzled when I saw my name under a post today. Then saw I was the op at least two years ago....:)

We did enjoy RCI and since then we have cruised with HAL, PandO, Fred Olsen and Thomson.

Every line different and we enjoyed every one.

If we had to stick to one line only it would be probably be Fred Olsen.

Happy cruising

Thanks for the feed-back. Good to hear you have enjoyed all your cruises with various lines - and clearly have found each one has something to offer. Interesting that Fred should just edge it for you - also older ships but it's all a compromise weighing up what appeals to you most and everyone will have their reasons for their preferences. We've still to try Fred but it's up there with the lines I always keep an eye on. One day, I hope! Happy future cruising - with Fred or whoever has the right itinerary, ambience and deal to suit you. :)

Archived