Every time on QM2... why was I so tired?

mainewoods

Okay, I have to ask. If cruising is so relaxing, why am I so tired?

This is our third voyage (all dedicated to QM2). Our first voyage, I chocked up being tired to trying to do everything. Second voyage, I blamed it on my SIL (in her 60's, walks with a cane, energetic none the less, and I can't keep up). So, I planned this third voyage with my husband and myself. We'll just 'take it easy' I said.

I don't see that we did anything that would cause this overly sleepy feeling. We slept pretty good I guess (considering a strange bed, but my own pillow). I would say that we got enough hours sleep. Didn't overindulge in food (I actually ate pretty light with just fruit/oatmeal for breakfast, simple enough lunch, and mostly had salad and another appetizer for dinner, and shared desert). Neither of us drink alcohol.

We did use the stairs every time (except twice). Room on the 5th deck, so we walked up to 7th alot, down to 2nd, and various times in between, also up/down from 12th. But figured that would give us more energy, and help to walk off food.

But oh my gosh.... sleepy! I mean, not just the 'oh my, I think I shall sit and rest a bit', but the bone tired 'I need to sleep' tired. We found it very hard to keep our eyes open during the planatarium, we fought sleepness during the lectures (although they were very interesting), and ended up taking naps during the day. I felt like I was drugged.

I only took one non-sleepy sea sickness pill one night, but other than that, nothing to explain the extreme tiredness for us both.

Oh, and yes, we did have to nap, but found that it didn't provide much relief from that dog tired feeling...

I love the ship, I love the voyage. But am I doing something wrong? I don't want to spend my time on board napping. :confused:

This is our third voyage (all dedicated to QM2). Our first voyage, I chocked up being tired to trying to do everything. Second voyage, I blamed it on my SIL (in her 60's, walks with a cane, energetic none the less, and I can't keep up). So, I planned this third voyage with my husband and myself. We'll just 'take it easy' I said.

I don't see that we did anything that would cause this overly sleepy feeling. We slept pretty good I guess (considering a strange bed, but my own pillow). I would say that we got enough hours sleep. Didn't overindulge in food (I actually ate pretty light with just fruit/oatmeal for breakfast, simple enough lunch, and mostly had salad and another appetizer for dinner, and shared desert). Neither of us drink alcohol.

We did use the stairs every time (except twice). Room on the 5th deck, so we walked up to 7th alot, down to 2nd, and various times in between, also up/down from 12th. But figured that would give us more energy, and help to walk off food.

But oh my gosh.... sleepy! I mean, not just the 'oh my, I think I shall sit and rest a bit', but the bone tired 'I need to sleep' tired. We found it very hard to keep our eyes open during the planatarium, we fought sleepness during the lectures (although they were very interesting), and ended up taking naps during the day. I felt like I was drugged.

I only took one non-sleepy sea sickness pill one night, but other than that, nothing to explain the extreme tiredness for us both.

Oh, and yes, we did have to nap, but found that it didn't provide much relief from that dog tired feeling...

I love the ship, I love the voyage. But am I doing something wrong? I don't want to spend my time on board napping. :confused:

If the number of semi-comatose bodies littering the decks on sun-loungers for most of the day is anything to go by, I'd say your problem is not at all uncommon. There's a popular belief in the UK that sea air makes you sleepy so maybe there's more to that than a simple "old wife's tale".

More seriously though you didn't say where any of your previous voyages have gone. I know that on an Eastbound TA, for example, the loss of one hour almost every night can cause people to feel more sleepy during the day.

Also, having done a little bit of lecturing in my time, the problem of falling asleep in lecutres is most certainly not restricted to cruise ships. I think that, once the house lights go down, the planetarium and the theatre become environments that are highly soporific.

Another factor may have been that all your walking up and down stairs, taken together with the fact that, merely to get around the ship at all involves a lot of walking, meant that you were taking considerably more exercise than you would normally get ashore.

And again, your normal daily routine was disrupted and you had to adjust to the ship's routine.

I think that your tiredness is probably nothing more than the cumulative effect of all these factors, and probably a few more that I haven't thought of.

J

What type of stateroom did you have! it could be the air conditioning ? recycled air has less oxygen so walking on the open decks & having a balcony may be a option to consider.

Our first time we had inside cabin. Second and third time we had a sheltered balcony. Was able to get fresh air often. Kept the thermostat set to the very middle setting, as that seems to keep air temperature quite comfortable.

It's quite a mystery to us. It's funny, because I got up yesterday (disembarking day) at 4:00 AM and disembarked about 6:30 AM. Had car service out of NYC for about a two hour ride to where my vehicle was parked, and then drive another 7 1/2 hours or so up to Maine, and I was not nearly as sleepy as I was while aboard.

I am always sleepy too. Probably we walk much more than we think we do on board. Though I have to say the Planetarium would send even the most serious insomniac to sleep...if they can find an unbroken chair:D

Next time I think I shall try a couple of red-bulls with my vodka;)

Our first time we had inside cabin. Second and third time we had a sheltered balcony. Was able to get fresh air often. Kept the thermostat set to the very middle setting, as that seems to keep air temperature quite comfortable.

It's quite a mystery to us. It's funny, because I got up yesterday (disembarking day) at 4:00 AM and disembarked about 6:30 AM. Had car service out of NYC for about a two hour ride to where my vehicle was parked, and then drive another 7 1/2 hours or so up to Maine, and I was not nearly as sleepy as I was while aboard.

Hi Mainewoods. I thought it might be the sea air that was making me sleepy on board (we usually have our balcony door open a bit while sleeping, and we spend a lot of time on deck). My husband attributes my ablility to nap at the drop of a hat to the ship's motion---it's like being in a baby carriage (pram). Anyway, it's great to relax like that; I just wish I could read more than one page of a book before falling asleep during the day :D

Cheers,

Salacia

If the number of semi-comatose bodies littering the decks on sun-loungers for most of the day is anything to go by, I'd say your problem is not at all uncommon. There's a popular belief in the UK that sea air makes you sleepy so maybe there's more to that than a simple "old wife's tale".

More seriously though you didn't say where any of your previous voyages have gone. I know that on an Eastbound TA, for example, the loss of one hour almost every night can cause people to feel more sleepy during the day.

Also, having done a little bit of lecturing in my time, the problem of falling asleep in lecutres is most certainly not restricted to cruise ships. I think that, once the house lights go down, the planetarium and the theatre become environments that are highly soporific.

Another factor may have been that all your walking up and down stairs, taken together with the fact that, merely to get around the ship at all involves a lot of walking, meant that you were taking considerably more exercise than you would normally get ashore.

And again, your normal daily routine was disrupted and you had to adjust to the ship's routine.

I think that your tiredness is probably nothing more than the cumulative effect of all these factors, and probably a few more that I haven't thought of.

J

We've only taken the short 5-day New England / Canada voyages out of NYC.

I pride myself in being able to stay awake during even the most boring week long environmental/safety regulatory conferences, but as soon as I sat down in those seats, and lights dimmed, I was fighting the urge to lay my head back, mouth dropped open, only to have drool and snoring follow.

Hi,

with oatmeal & fruit for breakfast,small meal at lunchtime and salad for dinner :eek: it's a wonder you can put one foot in front of the other.

Your body needs protein- and carbs will give you energy.With the movement of the ship and all that fresh air--no wonder you feel tired.

BTW -how do you resist all that fabulous food :).

Regards.

Taffygirl

I'm sorry, but it doesn't thrill me at all. Students!! Care to chime in??

i'm sure if I took even one more pill ........

We slept for England on our TA last year. Even allowing for house move,wedding, school hols it was crazy. Breakfast, coffee, and then the commodore club. Book, sleep, lunch, snooze, cocktails, dinner, chat, sleep. Utter bliss. We've never slept so much. We're also seeking it out again x

You are not alone, I do think it is the sea air for sure. I mean I am a total insomniac and most of the time have to take herbal sleep aids, but on the QM2 and in those lovely beds and the motion, I was out like a light, it was the best sleep ever! I loved having a good nights sleep (for once). Highly recommended. :)

I'm sorry, but it doesn't thrill me at all. Students!! Care to chime in??

It's not my thing either, but I suppose it would work: take illegal drugs on board---you'll be apprehended, proscecuted, sentenced to years in jail. No worries about cruises ever again. Bingo! Problem solved.:eek::eek::eek:

Mainewoods,

Perhaps Stephen Sondheim offers a viable explanation in the song "A Weekend in the Country" from his musical "A Little Night Music"...

"For a weekend in the country, So inactive

That one has to lie down..."

B:rolleyes:BBY

Mainewoods,

Perhaps Stephen Sondheim offers a viable explanation in the song "A Weekend in the Country" from his musical "A Little Night Music"...

"For a weekend in the country, So inactive

That one has to lie down..."

B:rolleyes:BBY

Bobby, great reference! Love that musical, and that song in particular! Have you seen the current show on Broadway? - Cheers, Salacia

Bobby, great reference! Love that musical, and that song in particular! Have you seen the current show on Broadway? - Cheers, Salacia

Salacia,

I haven't seen the current revival yet. Not sure if I will. Have you?

On the question of sleepiness, I always have even more energy than usual at sea, although I do love sleeping late on sea days. I guess the excitement of being at sea gets my adrenalin pumping.

I am looking forward to my two upcoming Queen Mary 2 Caribbean cruises in late November and in January (although my preference would have been back to back transatlantic crossings).

Be well,

Bobby

Salacia,

I haven't seen the current revival yet. Not sure if I will. Have you?

On the question of sleepiness, I always have even more energy than usual at sea, although I do love sleeping late on sea days. I guess the excitement of being at sea gets my adrenalin pumping.

I am looking forward to my two upcoming Queen Mary 2 Caribbean cruises in late November and in January (although my preference would have been back to back transatlantic crossings).

Be well,

Bobby

Hi Bobby, no I haven't seen the current revival yet either. The original production in 1973 is one of my earliest memories of a Broadway show. I understand that Bernadette Peters and Elaine Stritch are extending their roles in the revival producton until 9 Jan. I hope to see the show before then. (But I very much enjoy the CD of the original cast recording.)

From my experience of QM2 voyages to the Caribbean, the weather and the sea is so hypnotic* that within days, we're all on Island Time :). According to what I was told by local folks in the Caribbean, late November is like spring in the Caribbean...the Christmas Winds blow in, and clear out the bugs. Hurricane season has passed, and their anxiety level is reduced. It is a good time, and no doubt you will enjoy your voyage.;)

Regards,

Salacia

*Not to mislead: there can be sudden squalls and rough seas in the Caribbean in November and December. Even QM2 can rock'n roll in such storms.

Not to mislead: there can be sudden squalls and rough seas in the Caribbean in November and December. Even QM2 can rock'n roll in such storms.

Thanks for your good wishes, Salacia, for my upcoming cruises. I am sure I will be ready for brighter sunshine come late November and January.

As a transatlantic enthusiast, I am always excited by the prospect of heavy weather. I was aboard QE2 for several boisterous crossings, especially January 2008 (in tandem with Queen Victoria) when we were leaping out of the sea while QV was hydroplaning, as well as a few really wild passages during the world cruise. We plowed through a few nor'easters on Queen Mary; and last winter, on Explorer of the Seas (first time) enroute from Cape Liberty to the Caribbean, we again encountered 35 foot swells for the first two days of our passage south.

You just never know with the North Atlantic!

Hope to see you aboard someday. Keep well.

Bobby

It's not my thing either, but I suppose it would work: take illegal drugs on board---you'll be apprehended, proscecuted, sentenced to years in jail. No worries about cruises ever again. Bingo! Problem solved.:eek::eek::eek:

Actually, I was kind of leading that line from that old song.(you know..I don't get a kick out of Champagne..).Usually the only thing I notice,especially when you do excursions..is the tendency to slightly "wallow" a bit in your walking.Likely due to walking around on board when the ship is slightly bobbing in the sea.

Archived