Best Shoes/Sandals - Caribbean

Jfultz81

The Water Pro Pandi - cute, Mary Jane-esque, but you can get them wet. I'll be wearing mine on our island tours where we expect to do some walking in the jungle, sightseeing in town, and down to the beach.

Merrell-waterpro-pandi-shoe-IMG31020.jpg

Now that's what I call cute!

They have got to be the weirdest shoes I have ever seen. Straight out of Creature from the Deep.

Yes, that's why I call them my frog feet. :D And I love them.

Water shoes don't have to be terribly complex. The most important factor is that they don't become dangerously slippery (shoe/ground and foot/shoe) and secondly that water can flow out of them easily. I've used old keds-style shoes with the toe cut out, and worn out running shoes built with mesh panels. Depending on your activities and the hardness of your soles (your actual feet), you may be able to just carefully place your feet vs. use water shoes. The aqua sock type shoes usually sold in Kmarts/Walmarts etc in summer are a decent water shoe alternative, and the pack small to tuck into your beach bag.

Check out what's available in Skechers. I got a great pair of sandals with an athletic sole. They stay on well and dry quickly. Unlike some, you do not "slip off" of them when they are wet. I walk to the beach at home often, down a dirt/gravel road and up a dune and and they are extremely comfortable and supportive without looking clunky.

• 4 weeks later...
On trips where I need to pack light (therefore taking multipurpose shoes) I love my tevas with closed toe. I can hike in them (did some hiking in Dominica) and I can walk on the beach & in the water in them. I cannot walk for any distance in flip flops. The only time I wear those is when I'm getting a pedicure - I require more support in my shoes. I did a trip to Costa Rica and my tevas were the only shoes I brought - wore them with a sundress to go out to dinner and with a sports bra to hike in the national park during the day:D

This is the shoe I have: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/354,88689_Teva-Toachi-Sport-Sandals-For-Women.html

WoW! Thank you for the suggestion. I have the same issue. I am going to seriouly check into that. :D

I love the Keen Balboa, which is very flexible and soft on the feet - terrific for walking. Only the big toe is covered - very unusual and cool design (got LOTS of compliments in London this summer). Don't know if they show very well on this thumbnail...

Zappos has them on sale for $64 - black, green and a soft yellow, I think.

223046134_Screenshot2010-11-13at10_15_56AM.jpg.43fd5cbf173e37d03f50489ad45f8e8e.jpg

To all you Teva and Keen wearers......how is the sizing? Do they run true to size? I can't find any in my area and considering ordering. I know zappo's is more expensive than some places, but the free shipping might make it worth it. I have a narrow foot so buying any type of shoe is always difficult. Any help is appreciated.

Hibiscus13....cute shoe...what brand is it?

I really have to second Keens. They are ADORABLE and so extremely comfortable. Plus they are completely water proof, and when I would get the fabric parts wet they would be dry by the next morning! They are so comfy I wear them instead of slippers but they were rugged enough to survive rocky shores like Labadee.

Here is the pair I bought from Zappos... they will let you return it and give you free next day shipping if it doesn't fit you.

keenwhisper.png

To know if they ran small or not, I went to the keen website. You can look up each model of shoe there and they will say if they run half a size small or not. It depends on the type of Keen, but I would say about 2/3rds run a half size small and the other 1/3rd are dead accurate. The width is never a problem because this can be adjusted using the sliding clasp on the elastic.

I hope this is helpful!

XOXO

Winny

The Water Pro Pandi - cute, Mary Jane-esque, but you can get them wet. I'll be wearing mine on our island tours where we expect to do some walking in the jungle, sightseeing in town, and down to the beach. ..image snipped

Thanks for posting this! These are just what I have been looking for to wear on some upcoming cruises. I found a pair in the outlet section of Gander Mountain for 39.99! Only one color available (tan) but it was fine.

I love Onesole shoes! I now own three different pairs of soles and over a dozen snap-on toppers (there are over 1000 to choose from!) that can be interchanged between any of the soles. When we travel I wear one sole, pack one more and then carry a variety of the tops in a little drawstring bag I can stick in a side pocket of my carryon or suitcase. Saves so much space over packing traditional shoes! The strappie ones are GREAT for formal wear. Have a look-see at their website: http://www.onesole.com/

However, I buy most of mine on Ebay for discounted prices. I find them very comfortable and infinitely versatile. Love, love, love them! (PS - they can become VERY addictive!!:))

Those are great! I love that you can just buy the toppers! Very cute idea.

• 2 weeks later...
I really have to second Keens. They are ADORABLE and so extremely comfortable. Plus they are completely water proof, and when I would get the fabric parts wet they would be dry by the next morning! They are so comfy I wear them instead of slippers but they were rugged enough to survive rocky shores like Labadee.

Here is the pair I bought from Zappos... they will let you return it and give you free next day shipping if it doesn't fit you.

keenwhisper.png

To know if they ran small or not, I went to the keen website. You can look up each model of shoe there and they will say if they run half a size small or not. It depends on the type of Keen, but I would say about 2/3rds run a half size small and the other 1/3rd are dead accurate. The width is never a problem because this can be adjusted using the sliding clasp on the elastic.

I hope this is helpful!

XOXO

Winny

My DH and I both have a pair and love them! They are so versatile!

I would heartily recommend Chaco's sandals. On my first cruise, the guides on the white water rafting excursion in Costa Rica (my single favorite excursion of all time btw) wore Chaco's. So, yes, they are good in water. They have a continuous strap design, which means the straps run under the foot bed. You can nudge the straps around to get a totally custom fit. Wide feet, narrow heels? No problem. They are comfy and last. I love the spongy, comfiness of Croc sandals, but the tread wears out in about a year.

Archived