[B]What are Category Upgrades & How do they work[/B]

I am a first time cruiser and I have heard & seen correspondence and brochures about "free" room upgrades. What exactly is that and how does it work? :confused:

Is it given by the TA or by the cruise line? We are cruising on the Mariner next year(i know its a while off yet :D but we are very excited and want to know as much as possible). We have booked and ocean view room. I appreciate your input.

You may want to read my thread about my recent mystery upgrade. It's the only time I haven't been delighted when the upgrade fairy visited.

The cruiseline will upgrade people for a number of reasons. If they need to sell rooms towards the sail date, people already booked may be bumped up because the less expensive cabins are easier to sell at a late date.

Others may be given an upgrade as part of a promotion. Some get upgraded if there is a price drop after final payment to offset the loss of value.

Lots of people will say they think they have figured out the system - but most TA's will tell you it's a mystery.

it's a win-win situation because the passenger is pleased and the cruiseline ha hooked you on the experience of a more luxurious cabin making it hard to go back.

Except for me, that is, who got an upgrade and am trying to get switched back!

Thanks for the info... I have read your thread... its all very confusing to me? :confused: But what else can you expect from a first timer ;)

So I guess and upgrade is a luck of the draw type thing. I hope I get one :D

I am really looking forward to this cruise... we have been planning this since 2004 :D

Sorry to disappoint you, but most upgrades simply move you from one deck to a higher one. The rooms are exactly the same. I received a two category "upgrade" on my first cruise and found I was simply two decks higher. Big deal! If you are upgraded from inside to ocean view, that's fine, and ocean view to balcony would be great. I just don't understand the premium they place on higher decks. Makes no sense to me.

Yogi

Here's the scoop: RCI very rarely upgrades passengers for free. On a rare occasion, passengers might be upgraded because RCI wants to sell lower level cabins and upper level cabins aren't selling fast enough. If you have a guarantee, rather than an assigned cabin, you might be upgraded when it's time to assign cabin numbers. But do not expect to pay for the least expensive cabin and get upgraded to a balcony suite. Bottom line, if you want an upgrade, you will pay for it. Do not expect to be upgraded for free. You might be upgraded to a higher level ocean view cabin, but even that is rare these days.

Sorry, I know this kind of bursts your bubble, but that's the reality. Especially with cruising being so popular--they don't exactly have to go begging for business. Now, you sometimes can puchase upgrades at the pier for less than you would have if you had upgraded earlier. Often though the cruise will be sold out with no pier upgrades available.

The advice I've always gotten is to book the category and cabin we will be happy with and if by some miracle we are upgraded, great and if not, that's also fine.

In any case, you should love Mariner. She's a terrific ship.

beachchick

beachchick is giving very good advice. While you may often see upgrading done on the Princess line, it is not common for RCL. They mostly sell peir upgrades if the ship is not full.

This is the reason that it is doubly surprising that they put my sons in a cabin 3 categories higher than booked.....and ironic that I'm not happy about it since it split our cabins apart.

Book what you'll be happy with. The oceanview cabin is a very popular category - you should be fine as long as you get a decent deck location.

Archived