Cruising with 18 yr old DS. Will he hate it?

Almost Packed

Both of our children have always worked part time jobs since they were 15 and both are University grads but not all kids are able to handle school and work and I tend to forget this. Sorry

I think another factor may be, even kids who can handle school and work now are having more challenges finding those jobs. Things have got much tougher (at least where I live) in the past 2 or 3 years - there are adults with years of work experience competing for even the sort of entry level jobs that high school age kids would typically get.

I think another factor may be, even kids who can handle school and work now are having more challenges finding those jobs. Things have got much tougher (at least where I live) in the past 2 or 3 years - there are adults with years of work experience competing for even the sort of entry level jobs that high school age kids would typically get.

Our son has always worked in the mining industry in the summer and made really good bucks but worked his butt off, long hours, away 23 - 28 days a month. He recently took another job so he could work in his field of study while in University fulltime - took an $8 an hour pay cut but is getting experience he would not have otherwise. He got this job because others would not lower themselves to start at this salary. They have already offered him a job when he graduates at almost 2 times the salary - who is ahead here. You really have to pay your dues.

My kids have been cruising since 2002. My dd is now 22 will be 23 in March, ds 16, 17 in March. DD wont let us cruise without her! She always finds kids her age to hang out with, dance with ect. I have to agree with a previous poster.. if they are shy and not outgoing it may be a different story.

For tbay-eh~ I am a single parent. I pay for my kids cruises and spending money. (both platinum) Until dd turned 20 I paid everything. I still pay for the trip and gratuities. Her spending is on her. But she is working & going to college ect. ( and no college debt) My ds is a HS JR. and I dont want him working. His job is to get good grades and play good baseball. That will pay his ticket to college.

Working takes away from studing and with practices theres no way. He plays year round with HS and club ball.

Everyone has a different story.

My kids have been cruising since 2002. My dd is now 22 will be 23 in March, ds 16, 17 in March. DD wont let us cruise without her! She always finds kids her age to hang out with, dance with ect. I have to agree with a previous poster.. if they are shy and not outgoing it may be a different story.

For tbay-eh~ I am a single parent. I pay for my kids cruises and spending money. (both platinum) Until dd turned 20 I paid everything. I still pay for the trip and gratuities. Her spending is on her. But she is working & going to college ect. ( and no college debt) My ds is a HS JR. and I dont want him working. His job is to get good grades and play good baseball. That will pay his ticket to college.

Working takes away from studing and with practices theres no way. He plays year round with HS and club ball.

That is awesome - wish we had sport scholarships in Canada but we don't - they have never offered them. Our son was great little league pitcher and played centre in football but would have to go to your wonderful country to play ball on scholarship.

I also don't expect my 16 yo to have a job right now. I expect him to get good grades (he is an A student), play his best at soccer and basketball, and help us around the house. He does all those things and rarely asks for anything. I have no problem giving him spending money on a vacation.

I'm really glad to hear all of these great comments! thanks everyone.

yes, DS is most excited about being able to drink in port. DH & I have discussed this. I have no problem with him drinking in port as that is "legal" there. On the ship, it will be completely at my discretion. I told DH it would be best if he took dd and ds on the bar hop tour in Cozumel....as I am not sure how i'll feel about watching my kids drinking like that lol...plus we have a ds who will only be 6 then lol. so someone has to stay sane and sober lol.

I'm very excited to know he can gamble and so is he once i told him. My dh & i are poker players and our kids play with us. It will be very interesting to watch my ds kick butt at the poker table lol. :p

I have no doubt that my little ds will love camp carnival. I have heard great things about that club. so excited! now, if CCL would just hurry up and open up there schedule for June 2012 so i can book my cruise!

We have to wait until DS turns 18...I cannot get permission from psycho Ex. :mad: or we would have already been on a family cruise.

Archived