Just booked the Epic. Questions already!

Hi all-

I just booked the EPIC (YAY!) for next Dec and already have a question. My PVP booked us with discount PGUP (union member) even though my husband is a local government employee (non-union.) I explained to him several times he is not a union member but he says that government employees fall under the same umbrella. On our receipt it does say:

"Please note, union membership identification will be required at the pier prior to boarding."

Should I be worried?

Not positive what your PVP is (a travel agent or an NCL rep), but I know some have posted here that they have been asked for their union card and those that don't have it may not be allowed to board. I'd really verify this with the cruise line. You'd had to check in only to be told you can't (or have to pay a lot more) because of this.

Not positive what your PVP is (a travel agent or an NCL rep), but I know some have posted here that they have been asked for their union card and those that don't have it may not be allowed to board. I'd really verify this with the cruise line. You'd had to check in only to be told you can't (or have to pay a lot more) because of this.

Hi-

Thanks for your reply. I did book direct through NCL and this is the rate they quoted. The rep stated that he documented what type of identification that would be shown and all should be set. Now I'm not sure what to do. Do I call him back and tell him to take off my discount because I don't believe him?

Do I call him back and tell him to take off my discount because I don't believe him?

Heck no. However, I'd try to get something in writing that doesn't just say "union employee" but also includes government.

here is what the NCL website says -- no mention of government emplotyees:

I would just show up and see what happens...I used the military discount and did not have to show ID, even though the program and the NCL rep said that I would. If you get away with it, smile. If not, they will just remove the discount that was given and ask you to pay. The discount isn't all that big anyway.

Terms & Conditions

*Union Program is available to active or retired Union members in the same stateroom ONLY.

*Rates include NCF. Government Fees & Taxes are additional.

*Union Members discount is only applicable to cruise fare (excludes Non-Commissionable Fare portion).

Discount is for Union Members and their families booked in the same stateroom; this fleet-wide promotion available throughout the year. Discount applies to a first and second guest in a stateroom. Single guest paying 200% of the rate is eligible. Proof of Union Membership needs to be provided at time of booking and at the pier on embarkation day. Offer applies to new individual bookings. Guests who cancel and rebook must accept this promotion's Terms and Conditions. Government taxes and fees are additional. On-board services charges are additional and will be automatically added to your on-board account. Standard air add-ons are available.

Heck no. However, I'd try to get something in writing that doesn't just say "union employee" but also includes government.

Agree 100%.

If you can't get it in writing, you have a couple of choices.

1) Have them remove the discount.

2) Be prepared to pay the difference at check-in.

Will that happen? Who knows, just be prepared if it does.

What would be the difference in the fare? I just don't want to get to the port and they tell me that I have to pay for whatever is available and my cruise fare shoot up 1 million more dollars! If I just have to pay for what I was quoted without the discount I'm fine with that.

Thanks for all your advice!

Booking this far in advance - you are much better booking with the regular fare. If you transfer your reservation to a good travel agent, they can let you know when a promotion or sales comes up that could lower your rate.

We just got off the EPIC last week. They were a lot more strict than our past 24+/- cruises. Checking ID for purchases, searching beach bags for food as we got off the ship, and checking Union ID cards. My brother had to show his. Also, I heard a rep having an issue with someone at checkin. He said - "I can't go by what a PVP told you on the phone - I can only go by what my computer notes are on my reservation screen." No way I'd try the Union Discount without a card. Your sailing could go up hundreds of dollars by sail date. I'd go with the TA to monitor it.

No way I'd try the Union Discount without a card. Your sailing could go up hundreds of dollars by sail date. I'd go with the TA to monitor it.

Should you decide to remove the union discount, I'd be sure to ask first whether your husband might be correct about the union discount applying to government employees as well. You'll never know unless you ask. He certainly has a government employee ID.

Booking this far in advance - you are much better booking with the regular fare. If you transfer your reservation to a good travel agent, they can let you know when a promotion or sales comes up that could lower your rate.

I can attest to getting price drops. I booked through a TA for my Epic cruise next December and I've already had a price drop.

I would be worried myself if you can't get something in writing from the rep about needing (or not needing, in your case) a Union card. Good luck with everything.

When in December are you going, btw?

Archived