"The cruise lines are giving it away across the board"

bajathree

I mean... what is the incentive to book a year out? Especially now that RCCL no longer honors the price drop after final payment. I live in Florida so watching and waiting to book last minute is the most cost effective way.
By booking well in advance, you get your choice of cabins. I'm very willing to book early-early-early to get the aft cabin that I want.

In my limited experience, prices tend to open at a medium-range, then drop, then go up-up-up, and the last weeks before the cruise are unpredictable -- the prices could go up, or they could go down. By booking early, I can get the room I want, then watch for the drops (which tend to come well before the final payment).

For those of you who must fly, airfare always goes up at the last minute.

I understand that y'all Florida residents get deals not available to the rest of us, so what makes sense for me may not make sense for you.

On my last 2 cruises on FOS and IOS I got a couple thousand in price drops after final so everyone's experience is different (for 2 cabins booked per cruise).

A lot of people post how they booked early and watched their price go up but it isn't really meaningful unless it goes up after final as well. If they are pricing their cabins correctly they shouldn't have so many cabins left over that they have to discount by hundreds, and even thousands, after final payment. Big discounts after final, to me, seems like a real desperation move that is the result of poor marketing and/or pricing in the beginning.

On my last 2 cruises on FOS and IOS I got a couple thousand in price drops after final so everyone's experience is different (for 2 cabins booked per cruise).

A lot of people post how they booked early and watched their price go up but it isn't really meaningful unless it goes up after final as well. If they are pricing their cabins correctly they shouldn't have so many cabins left over that they have to discount by hundreds, and even thousands, after final payment. Big discounts after final, to me, seems like a real desperation move that is the result of poor marketing and/or pricing in the beginning.

Yes, one can not truly say that they booked early and watched their cruise price increase until the very end.....most cruises do end up increasing in price BUT you have to wait till after final because many also end up going right back down to original pricing or below.

Marci...I am not sure I would call it a "real desperation move"....I think we have to give more credit here. The CL's know their inventory at all times...they know exactly whats deposited and not deposited....many sailings appear very sold out only to watch lots of availability flood back in after final....that is because of all the unsold group space coming back in that was held by TA's....but don't kid yourself....the CL's also know exactly whats really sold in that group space and what is just being held....and also group space needs to be settled and unsold inventory released prior to final....again knowing going into final what they really have sold and unsold.....so the CL's are very aware of inventory status at final. The thing is....what is their incentive to want to drop price prior to final....with no more price protection after final anymore they would just be giving money back unnecessarily. If many people are willing to pay such and such prior to final and they can get it....they aren't going to want to give it back....they rather sell half the ship at premium pricing and they after final drop the heck out of it to sell the other half....thus the fire-sale'ing we have been seeing as of late. They are finding many new tactics not to have to give people money back anymore. The new game is get and keep as much money as you can and then fire away at discounting after final when we are in safe no price match mode....I wouldn't call that "desperation"....there are some other words I can think of:rolleyes:...but bottom line is buyer beware....they are looking out for their interest and you must look out for yours....because just like you see posted daily....prices can go down after final...and it could now cost you thousands.

I think that the next tactic we are going to see from the CL's is some kind of cancellation or change fee....I think it's only a matter of time.

Marci...I am not sure I would call it a "real desperation move"....

I think the cruiselines would much rather have bookings made upfront rather than after final because they had a fire sale. That has got to be a cause for some concern.

I know a lot of people post that their cruise only went up in price and I don't doubt what they are experiencing, but a lot of those people are booking off-peak, and a lot may be seeing those mid-range increases that lead to nowhere. On our IOS cruise they had 30 JS suites left right before final and guess what: they raised the prices. Yeah, that'll work. People see that and say prices are rising! Glad I booked! Then after final comes and you see 1, 2, 3, FOUR sequential price drops to get those cabins sold. That's desperate!

ps I agree about the cancellation fee. No more cruise jumping :(

they are looking out for their interest and you must look out for yours....because just like you see posted daily....prices can go down after final...and it could now cost you thousands.

And that is the part I don't get. It seems to me that I read way too many posts around here where not only is RCI looking out for its best interest but the consumer is also looking out for RCI's best interest. I can only wonder if when these same people go out and buy a car do they try to get the best price or are they more concerned with GM raking in as much money as they can on the sale?:confused:

I think the cruiselines would much rather have bookings made upfront rather than after final because they had a fire sale. That has got to be a cause for some concern.

I know a lot of people post that their cruise only went up in price and I don't doubt what they are experiencing, but a lot of those people are booking off-peak, and a lot may be seeing those mid-range increases that lead to nowhere. On our IOS cruise they had 30 JS suites left right before final and guess what: they raised the prices. Yeah, that'll work. People see that and say prices are rising! Glad I booked! Then after final comes and you see 1, 2, 3, FOUR sequential price drops to get those cabins sold. That's desperate!

ps I agree about the cancellation fee. No more cruise jumping :(

The thing is Marci....I think the CL's know....just like you see posted by the majority here...that they will always get people that will book in advance;)...it's only when they really have a lack of advanced bookings on a sailing that you see them adjust price prior to final. We shall see but it seems that there is a noticeable shift to a shorter booking window as many people are not booking far out in advance anymore. I am in agreement with you....I think some of their pricing as of late is just plain crazy....you almost know it's going to come down after final....I see it every day.

What the CL's seem to be doing is not that un-similar to the airlines....very often as of late the best pricing has been later in the game....pricing far out has been outrageous and then the discounting has been starting the closer you get.....I am getting e-mails constantly from airlines for highly discounted last minute rates.

BTW...Marci....I wouldn't go near JS's right now unless booking last minute....they appear to be one of the most high discounted cabins after final as of late.

For what's is worth, we booked our 11 night cruise at $830 pp commission-able fare. CF is now at $520 and we're still more than 2 months shy of Final.

We have the current price beat by $160 pp. $100 pp for the WOW sale and $60 pp because the port fees went up. Perhaps prices will drop further after final, but I can't see an 11 night cruise hitting $360 pp CF. And we got 5 cabins together which was important to us.

So we aren't only seeing price drops after final. At least in my case, we're seeing significant price drops before final even with the new price guarantee. So back to the OP, it does appear that there is inventory that they're struggling to move.

For what's is worth, we booked our 11 night cruise at $830 pp commission-able fare. CF is now at $520 and we're still more than 2 months shy of Final.

We have the current price beat by $160 pp. $100 pp for the WOW sale and $60 pp because the port fees went up. Perhaps prices will drop further after final, but I can't see an 11 night cruise hitting $360 pp CF. And we got 5 cabins together which was important to us.

So we aren't only seeing price drops after final. At least in my case, we're seeing significant price drops before final even with the new price guarantee. So back to the OP, it does appear that there is inventory that they're struggling to move.

Yep...thats what happens when unemployment is is double digits and people can't use their homes as debit cards anymore.

Archived