Question about passport

Murphy&Bailey

You will get different opinions on this. You are not required to take your passport. Some feel it is better to have it with you at all times in any foriegn country. Others bring a copy of the passport and leave the passport in the safe in your cabin.

An English family got off at their first port - Barcelona. The man's passport was pick pocketed. When they returned to the ship they told the Reception Staff and asked to use their phone to cancel a credit card that was in the wallet with the passport. So far so good.

But then the horror story began. The staff told them that the man could not sail without a valid original passport. The ship had already scanned the passport when they had embarked but they insisted that that was not enough.

The wife decided to remain on the ship as they had 3 kids with them and needed to reduce expenses. She gave him her credit card and told him she would try and contact family to transfer some money onto it.

The Ship's agent turned up to help him out. The British Embassy had to open to give him a temporary passport and then he had to fly to France to catch the ship at its next stop.

I leave mine in the safe in my cabin and take a copy with me each day. A small group of us missed the ship in Naples (long story) in 2003 and we were able to fly the next day to Athens to catch up with the ship without our passports (but with a letter from the police explaining our situation). The hotel in Naples did not like that we did not have our passports, but they let us check in anyway.

Your chance of losing your passport to a pickpocket or some other unexpected way is significantly higher than the chance of you needing your passport off the ship, so play it safe and lock it up. IMHO

We are going on the Emerald Princess in Jan and want to go to spend a day at beach resorts and beaches. Do we need to take our passports with us while we are visiting the beaches in the carribbean and how do we keep them safe?

Thanks,

Carol

We never take our passports ashore in the Caribbean. ;)

They stay in the safe.

I am of the opinion that you should always have your passeport with you when you are in a foreign country.

We have a money belt and keep the bulk of the money, the credit cards and the passeports & ship cards( in a plastic bag) in the money belt.

I use the fanny pack as a decoy with some money, but only what we really need for the day.

When we go to the beach, there is always 1 person not in the water with the valuables.

Archived