Britain

Brian Raine

When visiting my country did you tell anyone that you were from another country? If you didn't how do you suppose they figured it out?

It is asinine to believe that we could visit your country and it not be obvious that we are visitors from "across the pond".

Please do not disparage my country's touchstones (flag, pledge, etc.). One could not possibly achieve great understanding of these important symbols to our patriotism from brief visits to "38 states". I have respect for your country and your patriotism - I don't respect your ignorant comments about my country's practice of expressing patriotism.

Globisler. I take it that you are from our fair island? how many states have you visited in the U.S.A , besides New York?
Most of all, I'm from Planet Earth - but within that, yes, I'm British, from Britain.

I don't see what your next question (or its following comments) have got to do with the issue you raise in your OP. Neither do I know what's given you the idea that I've been to New York or New York City. Just more prejudice about where Brits usually go in the US? And how do you know that I haven't actually lived in the US, let alone just visited?

Your OP said:-

to whoever gernerates the listing of countries There is NO SUCH PLACE AS BRITAIN it is Great Britain or less acceptable United Kingdom, short for The United Kingdom of Greta Britain and Ireland. ... There are those who require to be called Scottish or Welsh or Irish but no British. I'am ENLGISH living in ENGLAND which is part of Great Britain. So please remember ones nationality is important to some.
First of all, Britain is a perfectly acceptable short name for the UK. It's widely used all over the world, as posters here have pointed out. It's also used by official UK agencies, again as already pointed out. So it is you who are wrong about this - or else trying to do a King Canute.

Second, if you're going to nitpick, please don't show your ignorance. You might want to know that it's the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", and has been since, oh, about 1922. And there's nothing less acceptable about it - it's the proper name of the country - your country and mine.

Third, if you are one of those people who wants to be described as "English" but also object to being described as "British", then you are truly on the lunatic fringe. I make no bones about this, and I don't want any other CC members to think that your views are somehow mainstream or common. ("Common", that is, as in "frequently found".) This isn't anything to do with "patriotism" - if you think of yourself as "English" and not "British" then you're just being parochial.

Fourth, I would advise you to rip up your passport and throw it away. Immediately. You'll be mortally offended by its description of your nationality. "British citizen", it'll say (unless, of course, you're actually something else). And you may be disappointed to know that the Passport Office won't give you one that says anything else.

Fifth and finally, you are quite out of order slagging off the CC admins for this on the basis of your minority views.

What a nutter.

I'm probably the least rah-rah American person you'll meet (seriously, don't even get me started on US politcs, I start turning purple and ranting about how we should move to Canada, it's not pretty). But even I found the comments about Americans all being parochial to be offensive. I do not celebrate ignorance, and I try very hard to respect the cultural values of whatever country I am visiting and not stick out as an ugly American. I've met some very rude English people who were visiting the US, but I would never assume that every English person is rude simply because I once met a few rude ones. So, please refrain from stereotyping people based on their nationality. If you don't like the title of this forum for some reason, then send an e-mail the people who run the board, who actually have the authority to change the name of a forum, instead of posting hurtful comments.

Globisler. I take it that you are from our fair island? how many states have you visited in the U.S.A , besides New York? I have been into 38 different states, so I can speak from a wide experience of the "inland" America and the folks we spoke to. It comes as some suprise to me to read the vitriol and scorn poured upon my comments about my country's name from members of a country that requires an oath of allegiance to its flag, who , when visiting outside of their own contry make every effort to ensure the local populace know they are AMERICAN . Don't get me wrong I enjoy cruising on American ships going to America but are not some of the comments akin , as we say in the North East,

"People in glass houses shudn't Hoy clemmies"

I think I have made my point, to the readers who accepted my "patriotism" thank you to the others remember me when you stand up for your flag/ anthem or whatever reason,well enough said.

Please~don't feel the need to visit our country anymore~we won't miss you believe me!

I also didn't seen any scorn poured upon your comments from any Americans at all, where did that come from? I actually saw more of your fellow countrymen who said to give it up.

The funny thing is for us when we want information in regards to traveling to your country, we go the the British tourist board, not the United Kingdom tourist board. One website is VisitBritian:Welcome to Visit Britian. Now this is put out by your country as the official travel website~how come they call it Britian?

Into everyone's life, a little Raine must fall...

This post comes to you from "inland" America, posted by a citizen of Canada, in its own turn a member of the British Commonwealth.

This caused me to chuckle~thanks!

SLKMS It is correct it is Newcastle upon Tyne, better known to me as The Holy Land, I was born there and raised in South West Durham, County not city.

SMDEV The title British Tourist Board is a quango whose job it is to sell Great Britain , under any auspices, and we all know what people in advertising do.

As for being labelled rude, I take that as in insult, which I'm sure is how it was intended. I re iterate there are some extremely rude personages on cruises of all nationalities including BRITISH. My comment was meant in the context of flaunting ones nationality by word or deed. I have had many enjoyable conversations with fellow American travellers and will do again on my next visit in May. I'm sure if asked they would concur that I'm not in the least bit rude.

My final comment is simply this , at least I have the "brass neck" to use my name and not hide behind a pseudonym and I'm still ENGLISH irrespective of whatever nationality is endorsed on my passport as is the governments wont.

Archived