Britain

Brian Raine

to whoever gernerates the listing of countries There is NO SUCH PLACE AS BRITAIN it is Great Britain or less acceptable United Kingdom, short for The United Kingdom of Greta Britain and Ireland. How would the citizens of the United States of America llike being told they live in America not the United States of . There are those who require to be called Scottish or Welsh or Irish but no British. I'am ENLGISH living in ENGLAND which is part of Great Britain. So please remember ones nationality is important to some.

Actually, I think most Americans don't mind if someone calls their country America. In fact, there's a patriotic song called America the Beautiful that never once mentions the United States of. Americans tend to use a lot of abreviations, like US or USA or United States or just America.

I agree with Beth that we do refer to our country as America (much to the chagrin of Canadians & Mexicans who accuse us of claiming the entire continent by leaving off "The United States of"), but I think that we all would expect that on a website, the full name of the country would be listed. If I saw just "America", it would strike me as odd that they didn't use the full country name or USA or United States.

Wow - strong words!! What's in a name, when there's no insult intended... By the same token, I can't help wondering that if you felt so strongly you could at least have edited your spelling mistakes...

I'm ready and waiting to be flamed...

A fellow Brit....

Oh come on you must be joking to be upset about that.

Our country is official called The Netherlands, but many people talk about Holland.

So what... I really donot care, there are more importants things in life.

Postal codes as well as web address are UK... I always assumed that was for United Kingdom... My mother who was born in Newcastle upon Tyne (let me not just say "Newcastle") always called the "States" the "Colonies" and she lived here for 40 years. People in the United States of America who heard her say that though she was charming.

First of all apologies for my spelling mistake, I pushed the send button too soon. I stand by my comments and accept that is some peoples eyes I'm zenaphobic, I'am. With regard to the last comment about "Britain" including Scotland Nortern Ireland Wales and looking at an atlas , having spoken to many Americans on cruises and land tours who think England means NEW ENGLAND in the North East of United States of America , and that South Africa is not a country or that they did not know the PERMIAN BASIN is in Texas(from a Texan)

Parochialism is a bye word in "America"

Brian Raine, I think you are wrong. If the British Tourist Authority wants to call their official magazine "In Britain" and if a host of other official bodies are happy to refer to "Britain" - then who are you to say everyone is wrong. My grandfather fought in the "Battle Of Britain" and was proud of it. Britain or Great Britain - who cares? The vast majority of your previous posts are negative and complaining. Get a life and stop giving us Brits a bad name.

Brian Raine, I think you are wrong. If the British Tourist Authority wants to call their official magazine "In Britain" and if a host of other official bodies are happy to refer to "Britain" - then who are you to say everyone is wrong. My grandfather fought in the "Battle Of Britain" and was proud of it. Britain or Great Britain - who cares? The vast majority of your previous posts are negative and complaining. Get a life and stop giving us Brits a bad name.

Not to worry..he is not giving anyone a bad name other than himself.

I think we all know that information given on these and other boards from anyone in the UK is valuable,well recieved and much appreciated,but ever once in awhile someone has to post something out of context.I rest my case.

Just come back to the UK, Britain, England or whatever you want to call it from a long weekend in Spain. Just to reassure anyone out there that needs help from us I am sure Nick, Globaliser and I will answer to anything! We're all very nice people really...

In response to the Texan who didn't know where the Permian Basin was...I wouldn't be suprised. There are people in East Texas who have never even been to West Texas. (And if you've ever been to West Texas...you really have to have a reason to go there. It's no vacation spot) You have to remember how large Texas is and it would be the equivalent of crossing, in some cases, two states. There are people in Texas who have never been out of Texas. (Thank the good Lord, I'm not one of them!!) And if they don't know where the permian Basin is...then I would just assume 1. They aren't in the oil business. 2. They slept thru elementary science class. 3. Never travelled there. 4. They aren't really missing anything.

Anyway, you seem passionate about your country, just as we Americans are passionate about ours. I think it just shows how much you love your homeland.

Keep up your patriotism!

June

The board covers the British Isles; Northern Ireland, The Republic of Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England. If by the name of the board as "Britain" confuses anyone as to the areas covered they need an atlas.

And just how many people in Eire, when asked where they live, would reply "Britain"?

Globisler. I take it that you are from our fair island? how many states have you visited in the U.S.A , besides New York? I have been into 38 different states, so I can speak from a wide experience of the "inland" America and the folks we spoke to. It comes as some suprise to me to read the vitriol and scorn poured upon my comments about my country's name from members of a country that requires an oath of allegiance to its flag, who , when visiting outside of their own contry make every effort to ensure the local populace know they are AMERICAN . Don't get me wrong I enjoy cruising on American ships going to America but are not some of the comments akin , as we say in the North East,

"People in glass houses shudn't Hoy clemmies"

I think I have made my point, to the readers who accepted my "patriotism" thank you to the others remember me when you stand up for your flag/ anthem or whatever reason,well enough said.

Archived