Zeebrugge to Bruges

miranda53

Can anyone tell me if Cunard normally lay on any (free) shuttle-type transport between the port of Zeebrugge and Bruges, or do you have to book an excursion?

Looking on the 'net, travel between the 2 places doesn't appear to be as straightforward as one might think!

Thanks.

No such luck, Cunard make you pay through the nose for a coach that travels about eight miles. There is a train that goes from Zeebrugge to Bruges but it's quite a distance from the ship to the station. If you haven't seen Bruges it's well worth seeing. Most Belgians seem to prefer it to Brussels.

Can anyone tell me if Cunard normally lay on any (free) shuttle-type transport between the port of Zeebrugge and Bruges, or do you have to book an excursion?

Looking on the 'net, travel between the 2 places doesn't appear to be as straightforward as one might think!

Thanks.

Transfers are sold as "Bruges on your own", I'd suggest getting a taxi, which will drop you in the centre, and pick you up from the same place, thus maximising your time in a lovely town.

WD

Transfers are sold as "Bruges on your own", I'd suggest getting a taxi, which will drop you in the centre, and pick you up from the same place, thus maximising your time in a lovely town.

WD

Yes, I had a feeling this was the case! Do you think a taxi would work out cheaper than the excursion? There must be others on the ship who would want to share a taxi/cost perhaps?

I went in April this year from the QV. We got the shuttle bus to Blankenberge and the train from there to Bruges. The return fare is 5.40 euros weekdays and I think 3.40 euros weekends. The journey is only 11 minutes.

See my notes on the following link.:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24292611&highlight=bruges#

train info

http://www.b-rail.be/nat/E/

I believe a taxi from Zeebrugge to Bruges is around 90 euros round trip.

Do you think a taxi would work out cheaper than the excursion?

Probably :rolleyes: That is assuming that there is more than one of you! You can try asking in the roll call if there's anyone else wanting to share or you can see if you meet anyone on board who also wants to go to Bruges. Remember though that sharing means that you'll miss out on a lot of the convenience that having a private taxi offers.

(BTW if you've never been to Bruges then it's well worth spending a day there - you'll be left wanting to go back :) )

The bus to Blankenberg and train to Bruges works well except there is only one train per hour.

This would probably work out ok, depending what time we have to be back on board. I didn't realise they laid on a shuttle to Blankenberg; that might be the way to go.

Yes, I had a feeling this was the case! Do you think a taxi would work out cheaper than the excursion? There must be others on the ship who would want to share a taxi/cost perhaps?

The man with no vowels is right about the price. It's worth it for the convenience.

WD

I went in April this year from the QV. We got the shuttle bus to Blankenberge and the train from there to Bruges. The return fare is 5.40 euros weekdays and I think 3.40 euros weekends. The journey is only 11 minutes.

We also did this in April and I would recommend it. It was so easy, the shuttle drops you almost outside the railway station and it is easy to find your way into the centre when you arrive at Bruges (basically just follow the crowds). I certainly wouldn't pay Cunard's prices for a trip which is so easy to do yourself.

We were suprised also but you have to book a tour. Free shuttles were provided in Helsinki, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Gothenburg, and Tallin. I don't know why not Bruges. This is as last year Queen Victoria.

My belief is that free shuttles are not provided by Cunard but rather the local Chamber of Commerce at whatever town is being visited. Cunard tend to bathe in the reflected glory but have nothing to do with it. This is supported by the fact that shuttles are not provided everywhere which if Cunard were paying would make no sense whatsoever.

My belief is that free shuttles are not provided by Cunard but rather the local Chamber of Commerce at whatever town is being visited.

This is what I have always understood as well. It also fits in with the fact that apparently at some ports, e.g. Stockholm and Oslo, you have to pay for the shuttle.

When we were in Le Havre this year with the QV some locals got on our shuttle bus and were then dropped off again in another part of town. They couldn't have done this if it had been provided by Cunard.

My belief is that free shuttles are not provided by Cunard but rather the local Chamber of Commerce at whatever town is being visited. Cunard tend to bathe in the reflected glory but have nothing to do with it. This is supported by the fact that shuttles are not provided everywhere which if Cunard were paying would make no sense whatsoever.

This is what I have always understood as well. It also fits in with the fact that apparently at some ports, e.g. Stockholm and Oslo, you have to pay for the shuttle.

When we were in Le Havre this year with the QV some locals got on our shuttle bus and were then dropped off again in another part of town. They couldn't have done this if it had been provided by Cunard.

And, to throw another spanner in the works, remember that for some time QE2 was the only ship in the wider Carnival fleet that had a free shuttle bus. Okay, she was the line's big name right to the end, but it is interesting none the less.

How about this then, if you make use of the reasonably priced public transport option, there is more money left to buy chocolate :)

Yes :) but if you get a taxi then you;ll have a far greater ability to carry all that chocolate than you will on the train and bus :)

How about a compromise? Train to Bruges and taxi back - you can spend the money you save by getting the train there on extra chocolate to bring back :D

Archived