Not a VIP

3Hearts

Ok..last year we splurged. Anniversary, first cruise, so we had a suite. Not only did we get a larger and nicer bathroom,more interior space and bigger balcony(I think) we also had VIP check in.

We this year we are taking more family members with us so instead of a suite we have a reg balcony,smaller bathroom and less interior space and to top it off we find ourselves among the common people when boarding...:p haha

Will we have a long wait for boarding? And will we really notice the stateroom being smaller?

I know ya'll are going to say all you do is sleep in the stateroom..ahh..we had Camp Carnival as a day care so we did more than sleep.:rolleyes:

Your cabin will be noticably smaller.

The wait to board depends on when you arrive. If you are among the first or the last, the wait won't be long. If you arrive somewhere in the middle, when most others arrive, you'll have a little wait.

Your cabin will be noticably smaller.

The wait to board depends on when you arrive. If you are among the first or the last, the wait won't be long. If you arrive somewhere in the middle, when most others arrive, you'll have a little wait.

Noticeably smaller....:eek:

Noticably smaller. That's why I never recommend a suite to first time cruisers.

Just as with balcony,,, once you go suite, you'll never go back ;)

As stated earlier, the wait depends on lots of things. Don't want to wait? Don't get there till 1 or so.

You will definately notice the size of the cabin, shower(bathroom in general) and your balcony.

We got a cat 11 suite for our anniversary a couple of years ago after being in balconies for a few years. We loved the suite, but decided that it definately is not worth the extra cash and we do spend a lot of time on our balcony and in the room.

Really, the VIP embark isn't that big of a deal... Wedding parties board first then, depending on port, handicapped folks board followed by VIPs then Zone 2, etc...

If you get to the port fairly early you pretty much negate the advantage that Platinum and suite guests enjoy...

:)

Really, the VIP embark isn't that big of a deal... Wedding parties board first then, depending on port, handicapped folks board followed by VIPs then Zone 2, etc...

If you get to the port fairly early you pretty much negate the advantage that Platinum and suite guests enjoy...

Glad to hear you say this (selfishly) because even though my husband and I will be Platinum for the first time on the Valor next month, we're cruising with 14 other family members who are not. We're going to board with everyone else.

Thanks for the post. Priority embarkation can sometimes hit you in the butt for priority embarkation.

Have been on a couple of cruises when we've been ``whisked away'' for priority embarkation only to see that others in line behind us have been boarded before us as we wait in the ``priority boarding area'' a few feet away.:D

Dianne

On our last cruise, the "common folk" boarded faster than the VIPs. The VIP staffers processing the check-in area abandoned us in favor of a wedding party and we had no one staffing VIP boarding. (First there was one staffer handling the wedding party and two for VIPs. Then one of the VIP staffers switched to the wedding party. Then the bride appeared and the last VIP staffer disappeared with her.) Finally a supervisor came over to see why we were trying to get her attention and she processed our check-in. It was our worst check-in ever. We're Platinum so we know that's not the usual experience, but the folks behind us were on their first Carnival cruise after sailing NCL and they were not very thrilled - not a great start for them. We've had other VIP boardings where we went though the VIP line in about the same amount of time as folks doing regular check-in. so I wouldn't worry about losing the VIP boarding benefit.

On the shower curtain - one hint I learned here on CC is to bring clothespins to clip onto the bottom of the curtain. It helps hold it down.

My MIL has a handicap sticker. What determines handicap. She also uses a walker. We are not from the NOLA area so once we checkout of the hotel port is probably our next stop. Will have to make two trips because my daughter will turn in her car rental. 6 poeple with luggage will not fit in our car at one time.

We planned on being at port around 10:30. My MIL walker does turn into a chait I think.

Yep, when we went on the Legend we got there a little after 10:00. The check in area was empty so we walked right to the counter. I don't remember our boarding # but we just took seats near the window and watched the workers load the ship and had :eek: when we first saw the amount of food and drink. I was even more :eek: when I took the behind the fun tour and saw that most of the drink was gone.

We were on the ship within 10 - 15 minutes after boarding started. I would much rather get there early, sit and relax than stand in the line I saw form within 30 minutes of our arrival.

My MIL has a handicap sticker. What determines handicap. She also uses a walker. We are not from the NOLA area so once we checkout of the hotel port is probably our next stop. Will have to make two trips because my daughter will turn in her car rental. 6 poeple with luggage will not fit in our car at one time.

We planned on being at port around 10:30. My MIL walker does turn into a chait I think.

She won't need to do a thing. Most likely, they will see her with the walker and direct her and the remainder of the party to the embark area for folks who need assistance...

You will definately notice the size of the cabin, shower(bathroom in general) and your balcony.

We got a cat 11 suite for our anniversary a couple of years ago after being in balconies for a few years. We loved the suite, but decided that it definately is not worth the extra cash and we do spend a lot of time on our balcony and in the room.

Yep, we are with ya! We had a grand suite last year and LOVED it, but agree that the price difference is just way too much to do it regularly! We love a reg balcony, but it was HARRRDDD coming down.....you do get spoiled!

Ok..last year we splurged. Anniversary, first cruise, so we had a suite. Not only did we get a larger and nicer bathroom,more interior space and bigger balcony(I think) we also had VIP check in.

We this year we are taking more family members with us so instead of a suite we have a reg balcony,smaller bathroom and less interior space and to top it off we find ourselves among the common people when boarding...:p haha

Will we have a long wait for boarding? And will we really notice the stateroom being smaller?

I know ya'll are going to say all you do is sleep in the stateroom..ahh..we had Camp Carnival as a day care so we did more than sleep.:rolleyes:

From my experience (have sailed out of Vancouver, New York, Ft. Lauderdale and Miami) it depends what port your leaving from. I have waited a long time in NY and Ft. Lauderdale, Miami was a breeze and Vancouver was not great nor bad.

So glad I am finally platinum.

I'm not Platinum, but had suites several times so had VIP boarding. It really is not that big of a deal. I hardly notice the difference. Maybe if you show up at 1:30 when its super busy you'd notice. Last cruise we had a regualr balcony, went from taxi to lido in about a half an hour, probably would have been 20 minutes with VIP, so not much of a issue for us.

And don't let the shower curtain in the bathroom offend you! It molests everyone! :D

That is too funny...and it is true

On the shower curtain - one hint I learned here on CC is to bring clothespins to clip onto the bottom of the curtain. It helps hold it down.

Some people cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake, I cruise for the clinging shower curtain. :cool:

Well consider yourself lucky Cruise Elf / truchattycathy / dprg644... I look forward to the curtain molesting me and groping me... its the only time i get touched on a cruise with 2 kids in the same room....

Who said I was complaining? :eek::D

Archived