New to cruising-what to expect

Anniefanny

My husband and I are going on our first cruise ever-it is a 15 day European River cruise on the Viking Legend in November. We are so excited. I have found out that there are no self-washing machines-that the laundry is done for us at a cost of course-can I do hand washing and hang it up in the bathroom? What to wear for Captain`s dinner-I know it is not formal. What to expect at dinner-one sitting, no reservations etc. Anything that we should expect out of the ordinary. It sounds like river cruising is quite different than Ocean cruising.

Thanks

Yes, you can hand wash things and hang them to dry in the bathroom.

Haven;t been on Viking, but on Grand Circle I wore a nice shirt and slacks. Wife similar. Most about the same.

You just go to dinner and pick a table. Sometimes you will eat with people you haven't met, other times with people you are getting to know.

River cruises are differenet from the ocean cruises. Little entertainment. No bingo. No trivia. Many excursions are included. Ships are much smaller to fit under bridges and in locks.

Sure..you can hand-wash, if you want to. There should be a retractable clothesline in the shower.

You should probably check the boards for your specific cruiseline for dress code...I would imagine that shorts are frowned upon at dinner. Most lines suggest slacks and collared shirt for men, and women could wear slacks, capris, skirts, dresses.....etc..

Everyone I've know that has done a river cruise has loved it...more like a bus tour than a cruise.....since you are stopping frequently to see the sights. Enjoy!

My husband and I are going on our first cruise ever-it is a 15 day European River cruise on the Viking Legend in November. Anything that we should expect out of the ordinary. It sounds like river cruising is quite different than Ocean cruising.

Thanks

I've recently been receiving brochures from Viking. I figure if I fly from the left (west) coast to Europe, I'd have to do a 12 to 15-day cruise to make it worthwhile.

Archived