Which port in San Juan?

eap1986

I apologize in advance if this is an over-discussed topic...

If I understand correctly, there are two ports in San Juan: the Pan American Cruise Terminal and the Old San Juan cruise port. The most I could find out when I did a search was that the Pan American was for the larger cruise ships... I'm assuming that this will be the port for Carnival?

My dilemma is this... I can get a really good deal at the Conrad for the night before the cruise, but the Sheraton is supposedly REALLY close to a port, like right next to it. But the Sheraton is also quite a bit more expensive and in my opinion, not worth it unless this is in fact the port for Carnival.

Any knowledge/advice/suggestions? Since the ship isn't scheduled to leave until 10pm, we would like to spend the day strolling around Old San Juan. Thanks!

My memory is a bit fuzzy but I'll try to help you. I believe that Carnival uses a single port in San Juan. All the Conquest/Victory class ships will use it. I suspect that Victory ties up there on Sunday and any Miami ships will visit mid week. Yes, the Sheraton is essentially directly across the street. In my mind there is no real reason to be that close to the ship if your lodging options are superior. We actually stayed at a HI Express maybe 3-4 miles away and easily caught a cab to the port. After the cruise we stayed for a night on the northern shore at a nice (but expensive) beachfront hotel. You're not talking about a real big area. Plus, if you like you can always exit Victory after checking in to explore old San Juan.

I went on the Victory 12/09 and we embarked in Old San Juan across from the Sheraton, the other port you are speaking of had the Princess and RCI ships there. We embarked around noon (really no wait!) and then left the ship to walk around, but when we returned around 4:30-5 we waited 30-45minutes in the security line to get back on the ship!

Yes, Sheraton is a nice place to stay for Carnival embarkation, you can wheel your bags right across the street.

I stayed there when it was a Wyndham and twice since it became a Sheraton property. If you can find a good deal, which is doubtful around the holidays, I would stay there.

Just be careful to get the correct Sheraton. What you want is the Sheraton Old San Juan, which is directly across from the Old San Juan cruise terminal, and not the new Sheraton which is at the San Juan Convention Center. When we stayed the night after our cruise on the Victory this past March, I thought I had reserved a room at the Sheraton Old San Juan, not even knowing that there was another Sheraton just a mile or so away. Turns out, I booked at the convention center Sheraton, which wasn't a bad place at all, but not within walking distance of anything which was a bit of a bummer. Good news was that it was a few bucks less, though. So be careful...

Thanks everyone for the replies! I think we will spend a little extra to stay at the Sheraton in Old San Juan... you just can't beat the convenience! I'm looking forward to making the most of our time and exploring Old San Juan while our bags are making their way to our cabin ;)

Archived