Good book recommendations?

Tazsamp

Hello all,

I'm not cruising again until January 2011, but I really like to plan ahead :p.

I'm an avid reader but lately have not found anything that has really caught my interest. I'm trying to put a reading list together for my next cruise and wonder if anyone has any suggestions for some good reads to take along? I definitely intend to invest some significant time to reading around the pool deck!

If it helps, below are listed a few of my favourite authors:

Suzanne Brockmann

Nora Roberts

Cindy Gerard

Elizabeth Adler

Thanks!

Anastazia

Hi. I am a big reader too. The best "chick reads" I have read lately(and wished I would have saved them for my cruise in 12 days) are Judy Blumes Adult novels. Summer Sisters and Wifey are really a quick read.

Katherine Center is also one of my favorites even though she only has 3 novels :)

I just read Nora Robert's Blood Brothers trilogy and I think you will like them. You might want to consider buying a Kindle. I just did and I was amazed at how much faster I am able to read and finishe books. I'm not sure why but it is faster.

Also the owner of a new Kindle, and love it. I have downloaded some of the freebies and really enjoyed them.

Lee Childs, James Patterson, J.D. Robb ( who is Nora Roberts ) are always my choices for new books.

I enjoy these threads, I always keep a list of people's favorites, it's nice to read things that I would not have chosen otherwise.

Any or all of the Steig Larsson "The Girl who..." mysteries, but if you're at all queasy about violence, ask some of your friends about them before you dig in. Well-written books with plot twists galore, but they're not for everyone.

Hi. I am a big reader too. The best "chick reads" I have read lately(and wished I would have saved them for my cruise in 12 days) are Judy Blumes Adult novels. Summer Sisters and Wifey are really a quick read.

Katherine Center is also one of my favorites even though she only has 3 novels :)

I love Summer Sisters. I usually read it every summer. Cute story!

Good morning all!

Thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming!

What's funny is that a lot of the ones mentioned so far I've already read (I'm not kidding when I say I'm an avid reader). I loved the Stieg Larsson trilogy, the second one being my absolute favourite of the 3.

I've debated about the Kindle and I'm actually really torn about the idea. I can see how it would be so much more convenient than lugging a bunch of books on a cruise, but I'm also one of those bibliophiles who just loves the feel and smell of books. It's a tactile thing I guess, and I tend to hoard books.

I got one of my cruisemates into the Suzanne Brockmann books and she became so addicted she basically went out and bought every single one. She's not the type who hangs onto books, so when she was done I inherited the entire collection (YES!!).

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Anastazia

I LOVE Elin Hilderbrand books.

They are fun beachy reads. I save the new

releases to take with me on my cruise.

Google her she has about 8 books out.

All good fun reads.

I also loved Summer Sisters.

I was hoping Judy Blume would write

more adult books.

To all the Steig Larrson fans, I heard his s.o. interviewed on CBC, there is a 4th book, but no info if it will ever be published. There was alot of hassle after his death, he and his s.o were never married, but had been together for 30 yrs. She has no legal right to any of the proceeds. She was very evasive about the 4th book. Interesting interview!!!!!!

The freebies I've found are right on amazon.com. I check daily and set the filter to the price range, low to high, and then wade through for anything that looks interesting.

Depending what interests you there is a selection. I have read from authors I've never heard of or would never buy, because of that. I've been quite pleased with what I've read so far.

About half of the luggage weight we carried on most of our cruises -- which was within a pound or two of the max on airlines -- comprised books we were pretty sure we could not do without. In the event, I found the eclectic selection in the ship's library more than sufficient for the few hours spared from watching waves, ports and people.

Loved The Pirate's Daughter by Margaret Cezair- Thompson!! Discovered it on tripadvisor.com site when we went on an all inclusive in Jamaica last year - like a cruise ship on land. It was a romantic historical novel that took place in the 1900's in Jamaica and including Errol Flynn as a character!! Highly recommend it!!!!

Am planning on getting a kindle this xmas for our upcoming Liberty cruise in Jan 11. Books just take up too much room and the print is getting smaller as I age!!:)

There was a thread that had to do with "cruise related" books here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1273730

There is also a sweet series about life in a small northwest town by Debbie Macomber. It's called Cedar Cove and each book highlights a different member of the community.

I like to read about the area that I'm going to visit, so maybe you can find some fun books related to your itinerary.

Have a great cruise and enjoy your books!

Glad this thread is here- I posted a similar one several years ago and I'm just now finishing up on some of the authors!

The Red Tent

Water for Elephants

The Dome

Phillipa Gregory novels

Pat Conroy novels

Sarah Waters novels

Sara Tepper novels (sci fi)

I LOVE Elin Hilderbrand books.

They are fun beachy reads. I save the new

releases to take with me on my cruise.

Google her she has about 8 books out.

All good fun reads.

I also loved Summer Sisters.

I was hoping Judy Blume would write

more adult books.

Hi AzCruiseGurl,

I decided to check out Elin's website and read through some quick synopses of her novels. They DO sound like fun! I think I will definitely be checking these out at my local library - I've got to do a test run of a few before I commit to lugging them around you know!

Archived