Important regent cruise line question

ckr31

My wife and I are very well traveled,however we are not stuffy people.We love people of all races,religion's,and ethic backgrounds.I am a 50yr old African American male.if I choose to cruise Regent cruise lines will I see people of my race or other cultures aboard ship?that being staff and guest.

A are most of the Cruser's Europeans or Americans?

Hi crk31, I am replying to your post as a non American who has spent forty days on Regent to date. I can only say that I have found people to be so friendly and definitely not stuffy.

Regent's passenger demographic is very much mainly white, North American and on my cruises there were only a handful of African Americans. I am sure ,however ,that you would feel very comfortable and make friends easily as most people were well educated, well travelled and very open to making new friendships.

The crew seemed a nice mixture of nationalities although the majority were from the Phillipines.

If you felt you would like a wider International passenger mix I would highly recommend Silver Seas. A great cruise line with a very international cliental.

If you choose to cruise with Regent I am sure you will have a memorable experience. Happy cruising. Cheers.

I agree with piri above. I have found fellow travellors on Regent to be friendly and not at all stuffy.

The serving staff are mostly, but not all, from the Phillipines, but the "officers" are of varying nationalities, British, Italian and Norse. The entertainment side is also mixed, though there seem to be more North Americans there.

I feel sure you would enjoy your time on Regent, but beware; once you have tried Regent you won't want to go back to Princess.:)

I concur that in my 80-odd nights the demographic has been mostly white. This has been disappointing to me despite being white myself, since I inhabit a multi-cultural environment.

But, it should not make a whit of difference. Yes, there have been African Americans on many of my cruises, just not very many. And a smattering of other human beings of various ethnicities, Indian, Thai, Japanese, Chinese come to mind.

The only way to change the "vanilla" tone is for you to come and try it.

My wife and I are very well traveled,however we are not stuffy people.We love people of all races,religion's,and ethic backgrounds.I am a 50yr old African American male.if I choose to cruise Regent cruise lines will I see people of my race or other cultures aboard ship?that being staff and guest.

Our cruise last year to NZ had a pretty diverse crowd with about 5-10% +/- African American, and a liberal mix of nationalities from all over the world. although I think a close to majority were Americans, Europeans or Australians.Some were on the world cruise,others for 2 or more segments and others just from Sydney to Auckland so sometimes it depends on where the cruise segment starts and ends. One AA couple who we became friendly with were originally from Chicago(as we were then-now live in Seattle) and were then living in Indiana-they were both educators as is my wife. We sat next to them early on in the lounge before dinner and struck up a conversation which carried on through dinner that night and several more. we still correspond with them.

I would suggest sharing a table a night or two in Prime 7 or Signatures(a way to "squeeze in" another night or two at those restaurants). We met some very interesting people that way-one was a couple from a small town in Texas in their 70s(we are early 60s)who I admit we thought we would have nothing in common with-but as it turned out he was an attorney and she was a former teacher and they had views that one wouldn't associate with small town Texas! Overall the passengers are very interesting and diverse-don't hesitate to go-you'll have a great time and meet a very interesting diverse crowd

To tell you the truth I think is is mostly Americans with a smattering of British... not many others that I noticed.

I found most all to be very well read and well traveled people rich with culture and very , very non stuffy or snooty. People will accept you at face value as a co equal. My take was that they considered if you could afford the fare you had done something right.

Real people..well mannered people. No gold chains, no look at me people or buffet bunnies Real down to earth. Way way better than on the more" popular and mass market type ships.

To tell you the truth I didnt take notice of any other cultures or races. It never occured to so catagorize my shipmates... I did notice almost zero children either young or old.;)

I did enjoy the vast majority who liked to dress well.. at all times. On mu last cruise I thing just about everyone wore a suit and tie almost every evening. Sport coat and slacks in the bars.

If I may, I'd like to repeat a story from an early Crystal cruise we were on in 1998. A woman at our table was a horrid snob. She commented one night that it was truly terrible that even middle class people were "being allowed to cruise." We laughed for years over that comment. We never saw her again on a subsequent cruise. Maybe she is still looking for a cruise line that checks your bankbook before taking your cruise fare??? I am sure that it is the same for Regent as it is for Crystal that if one is friendly and outgoing, one will meet many similar friendly and outgoing people on board.

Those are rare people indeed on Regent cruises, at least in my experience. There is the odd one, like the woman we dubbed "Bunny" on our last PG trip. We were in the PG-equivalent of a Penthouse suite, and when she saw us coming into the corridor to claim our room she sort of looked us up and down as if to say, "what are you doing here?" That was her attitude about most people and events on the 14-day trip. She got to be a joke, enough said.

After sailing on the Mariner and Voyager I can comment that everyone is very welcoming and friendly. I've never met a snooty person on a Regent ship! You and your wife will enjoy the experience of being on Regent!!!!! Join us please!! I might add that I never notice whether others are green, blue or purple ;)

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I am seconding (thirding, fifthing?) the answers above. We are soon to take our 3rd Regent cruise (Australia/New Zealand) and the main reason we keep coming back is the clientele who seem to choose this line. To be fair, we have not cruised Princess, Crystal or Seabourn, which may all be terrific, but we stumbled onto Regent (then Radisson) years ago, which we originally chose because we liked the smaller size of the ships. We loved everything about the experience, from the spacious cabins to the one-price and you're through policy, to the lack of one-upsmanship among the passengers - many of whom could probably high-hat us if they chose. So, firm believers that you don't reinvent the wheel, we keep choosing Regent. Read the various posts; if you can "see yourself" in any of us, then you should give Regent a try; better yet, bring some friends with you!

Archived