Back from first cruise: Most important lesson learned

wcook

Funny how things work. We can't wait to retire and get back to MN, partly for the winters. Soon (few more years) we'll be in Otter Tail County near Battle Lake and I can start on my fish house. Of course, like here, it only takes a cruise brochure to get my attention. (lol)

skol Vikings

Larry

Not to derail...but what lake do you fish on? We have a cabin on Eagle Lake, south of Battle...

Not to derail...but what lake do you fish on? We have a cabin on Eagle Lake, south of Battle...

Stuart Lake just outside Clitherall. It's about a 700 acre lake. DW's relatives owns several properties on it. My preference is East Battle though.

I wish someone had mentioned that to me before my first cruise!

I will say one thing though, I really wish I had planned for it being cold at night. I only packed warm clothes and NO jacket so I definitely was chilly at night on the open sea. Other than that I would totally agree with you on the "Just show up!" statement! They really do take care of anything you need for your time at sea!

Our next cruise is 254 agonizing days away..We always book at least a year in advance because we require multiple cabins (next to each other) and like to be able to plan our time off from work, put back the money, etc. When I discovered Cruise Critic, it had so much good advice and tips that I wish I had known prior to our first cruise that I was immediately addicted. I'm a planner. I have lists, and lists about the lists. My daughters have now accepted the fact that there will be a notebook. They leave the planning to me. I used to drive everyone crazy because I wanted them to read the notebook, look at all my tips and get EXCITED like me about a packing list. They decided not to burn the notebook if I would not insisting the join me in the process. I read the tips religiously (daily). I've tried to stop myself but can't. I adready have a notebook and have included the packing list and excursions for ports we have now already visited multiple times..and won't be visiting for 250+ days...OMG. It's just a part of who I am..curious, well-organized and just plain nuts. When we get onboard, I will breath a sigh of relief, forget about the notebook (even the excursions), and forget (for 7 days) about visiting this board. I'll ignore some of the tips because for whatever reason, I'm perfectly willing to fly by the seat of my pants, along with my daughters, once onboard. Like I said, JUST PLAIN NUTS :D...about cruising!!!

OMG UR ME!! LOL! I have a notebook too and I am constantly telling My DH all about it. I don't think he listens lol! I am having fun with it. so whatever! Im sure I will forget the darn thing when we leave too! Thanks for sharing glad to know Im not the only nut!

I wish someone had mentioned that to me before my first cruise!

I will say one thing though, I really wish I had planned for it being cold at night. I only packed warm clothes and NO jacket so I definitely was chilly at night on the open sea. Other than that I would totally agree with you on the "Just show up!" statement! They really do take care of anything you need for your time at sea!

You should have went to a shop & bought a weater or sweatshirt. I figure if I forget it I don't need it or I can buy it!!! Showing up is the name of the game with your documents & everything else will fall into place. No stress here!!!

My over planning involves getting to the ship and getting home. The usual stuff. Flights, transportation, hotel, clothing. Every step is planned. Once I am on the plane and hear the hydraulics kick in to bring up the gear, I am on vacation. Only decisions then is what to eat, what to see, what to do. Nothing else matters. If something happens back home? Can't do anything about it. Every one back home knows our schedule and how to get in contact with us where ever we are. They realize that anything short of world destruction is really a non issue until we get back. :cool:

I am loving reading the boards and the tips and any other thing that seems remotely relevant. I might seem a bit obsessed, but it isn't a matter of anxiety or stress, I am just pre-enjoying our trip (my first), which is still many months away. So I will continue to read and learn and listen to everyone else's stories.

What a nice way to explain my obsession with Cruise Critic: Pre-enjoying my cruise which is many months away. We only get to cruise at max, once a year. By reading and working on my 3-ring binder, with dividers, I'm getting a little bit of vacation during those LONG winter months before we are able to board the ship. Our first cruise we had an entire suitcase of shoes. We laugh about that now because it's 3 pairs and one piece of luggage and one carry-on for us. My 3-ring binder is ratty and worn by the time the date arrives to cruise but we know that once we've cleared the gangplank nothing else matters!!! I have it memorized by then anyway ;).

Love coming on here and reading posts on ALL subjects. My DW and i will be taking our first cruise in ummm 110 days (not that i am counting) and we are both so excited to go have a blast and meet new people. We love to camp all summer long in 5th wheel camper but the Winters here in MN are a drag so we're hoping we fall in love with this and make it our Winter get away. Everytime i come on here and read posts people are real similar to all our camping friends so we are starting to feel right at home on these boards. Thanks to all of you for anwering questions and hope we cross paths one day. :)

You'll love sailing on the Valor! She's a beautiful ship. Enjoy your first cruise:)

Just had to post because of all the fellow Minnesotans! What a small world...

Fire: I totally understand!!! I was "obsessed" with our first cruise in March 2010. About drove DH nuts, I'm sure.....but, he knows I'm like that....I am a planner/researcher and plan all of our vacations....ask him for things and he just says, I trust you to do what we'll like!

We were BOTH totally in love with cruising the moment we stepped aboard and planned our second cruise within a few weeks of disembarking the first. You will undoubtly love cruising. I know what to expect now and as the true saying goes: Pack half of the clothes and twice the money!! I am still planning/researching like crazy, but keep most of it to myself! Enjoy :D.

Like others have said, I am an addict.....one cruise and I'm hooked. CC every day at least once. Definitely bring a jacket, sweater or sweatshirt....just a couple of pretty much everything.

Someone mentioned alcohol: Depends on the cruise line, if it's Carnival: Call the Bon Voyage dept. and you CAN buy bottles for your room. RCCL: NO---wine or champagne only for the cabin. Just check the website for your cruiseline or call them and find out if bottle service to your cabin is available.

Happy Sailing, Everyone!

Dreaming of Floating.............................................

It is a small world when there are a few of us from Minnesota on this same little post. I enjoyed this post so much and all the comments i came back for more of it. Thanks MissRissa for the comments about our first cruise. btw, for you fellow Minnesota freinds we are from Aitkin. :)

So me, to a T. I was just commenting to my DH last night that I need to upgrade the boring file folder I'm using to one that closes with a nice elastic strap to keep it safe. HA!!!:D

I am a planner b/c that's part of what I enjoy about things -- so planning and researching before this cruise is kind of like getting on the ship early and getting to enjoy it early.

Having said that though, I am SO happy to have read this post and to have the message sent to my brain to relax if possible.:)

Same here. I too have my folder and have done lots of research, I am one of those that has to know what we're doing and when. I think my husband still doesn't know where we're actually going or on what excursions, he says his job is to just go with the flow. I don't think I'll be able to relax until we are actually on the ship.lol

Wow, I needed that!! My husband & I are going with my parents in 25 DAYS!! My Dad & I will plan stuff to death, my hubby & Mom just enjoy the trip! ... The other night I was joking around that he needed to stop discussing football, it was annoying.. He said.. " How about I listen to your cruise talk and you listen to my football talk, that way we will both be annoyed! " It was hilarious and we both laughed... b/c after 20 years of marriage, there are alot of fabulous things. and a couple of little annoying things.. so it all works out in the end.

(Okay, maybe the laminated itineraries that I made for our 5 day Vegas trip were a little much... but he's used to it & really enjoyed the fact that he doesn't have to ask me... "what are we doing today? ""... I'm trying to be alot more laid back for this (our second ) cruise... and enjoy stuff more... So your advice was well needed!

ok first thought is, 250+ days to sail and you are planning, i started about 100 days out , i dont have enough time to plan :)

second, i think all things laminated work better.

third, if i wasnt on here learning things that my darling children refuse to listen to i wouldnt have planned how to get them on the potty and make them flush so i could get their pictures or how to try and get my 18yo a date before we even sailed.

and last but certainly not the least, i wouldnt know that im in good company of compulsive people who really enjoy life and will make the best of everything in it

now back to my laminating machine, the ship floors are hard to get smoothly laminated muahahahahaahah

geez, we have things planned a year out. Got all the tips on food and just everything about the ship. Not that it will do any good, just been thinking about what to do everyday...since we have balcony...may just sit and watch the ocean go by...

will probably bring too many clothes but we're in Calif and don't have to fly.

I agree with this post.. I just got back from my first cruise, and I took way too much stuff.. i came back with clean clothes... you don't need much... they take very good care of you... i was on carnival conquest... don't stress over what you look like, no one cares.. just relax... enjoy yourports.. and have a good time...

and last but certainly not the least, i wouldnt know that im in good company of compulsive people who really enjoy life and will make the best of everything in it

AMEN! I will relax when I board until then, it's planning and research for me and now I am asking myself why I have not thought about laminating everything~ :D

I am the planner and my DH and DS are going to follow. When we first started thinking about a cruise my husband said he didn't care where we went as long as it was a boat with a bar. So after much research we picked Freedom as he didn't like our first choice of a paddle boat down the Amazon. We ok I mean me have a box in the closet with stuff that we can not forget to take, like water shoes, and other small stuff that we would otherwise forget. I know that we don't leave until Feb 2011 but with the snow starting to fly already I have our summer clothes that we will be taking already to go. Today the drive to work took almost 30 min while it usually only takes 7 and that is when I don't make any of the lights. So the preplanning of everything makes me feel warm. In fact I think tonight I will sit beside the fireplace with a hot chocolate going through the binder trying to decide which outfit to go swimming with the stingrays.

At Jaxkai: I was the same way with our first cruise and have already started my binder for our second cruise. I think it just has to do with personality types. I'm not a fly by the seat of the pants person, and I felt very comfortable boarding the ship knowing I had done all my research and had a plan. Some people don't need "a plan," but I enjoyed my cruise much more since I did not have to figure out things while on board.

Wow, I needed that!! My husband & I are going with my parents in 25 DAYS!! My Dad & I will plan stuff to death, my hubby & Mom just enjoy the trip! ... The other night I was joking around that he needed to stop discussing football, it was annoying.. He said.. " How about I listen to your cruise talk and you listen to my football talk, that way we will both be annoyed! " It was hilarious and we both laughed... b/c after 20 years of marriage, there are alot of fabulous things. and a couple of little annoying things.. so it all works out in the end.

(Okay, maybe the laminated itineraries that I made for our 5 day Vegas trip were a little much... but he's used to it & really enjoyed the fact that he doesn't have to ask me... "what are we doing today? ""... I'm trying to be alot more laid back for this (our second ) cruise... and enjoy stuff more... So your advice was well needed!

Laminated itineraries. What a great idea!! I think that might be the last straw for my family though!!:D

Archived