Long beach to Staples center

tracyvansmith

Others may disagree, but I'd bus or cab it over to the nearest Metro Blue Line station and take the Blue Line to the Pico Station. The Blue Line fare is $1.50/pp each way. Not sure about the cab or bus fare. Check http://www.metro.net for more info as to schedules, etc..

Also, maybe this thread should be in the West Coast Departures forum?

Others may disagree, but I'd bus or cab it over to the nearest Metro Blue Line station and take the Blue Line to the Pico Station. The Blue Line fare is $1.50/pp each way. Not sure about the cab or bus fare. Check www.metro.net for more info as to schedules, etc..

Also, maybe this thread should be in the West Coast Departures forum?

I agree with this. The nearest blue line metro station is not far at all from the Queen Mary. Take the blue line to the staple center. I would say apporximately 45 min train ride with all stops or maybe a little more.

If you want, take the Long Beach Transit Passport C bus from the Queen Mary (free and stops in front of QM at the Parking Lot) to the Transit Mall. From there take the Metro Blue Line and get off at the Pico Station. Walk across the street to the Staples Center.

FYI - The area around the Staples Center isn't the greatest.

Here are links for Long Beach and Los Angeles Metro Blue Line:

Long Beach Transit Passport C

http://www.metro.net/around/maps/

The Staples Center has had some major renovation going with LA Live and the Grammy Museum--but don't wander too far south or on the west side of the 110 freeway.

Before you commit to the Blue Line, check the schedule to make sure you can get back to Long Beach.

I personally would rent a car.

But after the game I am not so sure about the Blue line. Does any one have any opinions on taking the blue line that late at night? You may want to do a bit of research on the blue line and make sure you are up for it.

Check out taxifarefinder.com for LA cab fares. It is over $80 each way for a cab. You may want to look into a shuttle service or renting a car for the day.

Jen in SoCal

We will be staying at the Queen Mary on Nov. 30

My friends were thinking about going to a hockey game at the New Staples Center. What would be the best way and about how much would it cost? We will not be renting a car.

But after the game I am not so sure about the Blue line. Does any one have any opinions on taking the blue line that late at night? You may want to do a bit of research on the blue line and make sure you are up for it.

Check out taxifarefinder.com for LA cab fares. It is over $80 each way for a cab. You may want to look into a shuttle service or renting a car for the day.

Jen in SoCal

I have looked into a shuttle for them and it is $50 each way.

I seen that they could take the blue line but being we don't know the area I was just wondering how safe it was to take it after the game.

While it doesn't go through the best parts of town and is really a glorified bus for much of the journey, I have never heard of any robberies or shootings of people on the blue line at night. I do read the local newspaper everyday.

Once they get to downtown Long Beach, I would take a cab to the Queen Mary rather than wait for the Passport that may not be running that time of night.

I've ridden the Blue Line on a Saturday night at 10pm (after a show at the Staples Center) with my two nephews (7 and 8 yrs old at the time) out to Long Beach and didn't have a problem. Stay with the crowd leaving the game over to the Blue Line station. Unlikely that you would have a problem anyway, but there's safety in numbers.

I agree with the suggestion to take a cab from the Transit Mall back to the QM unless your timing is really good and you only have to wait a couple of minutes.

I cast my vote for the Blue Line going to Staples and you won't have a problem catching the Blue Line after the game. I do agree with getting the cab at the end of the Blue Line back to the Queen Mary. I wouldn't count on the Passport bus. I live in LB and have done this for the LAKERS, hockey & concerts. It's not too complicated. The area isn't stellar, so don't wander off.

Someone may suggest going to the Pond for a Ducks game...now that will be complicated.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are all smoking crack - the Blue line goes through the worst of the worst areas in Los Angeles and after rush hour the lines run every 20-30 minutes; so you could be waiting in a station in Downtown after the game just for a TRANSFER to the Blue line. Take a taxi or shuttle.

You guys are all smoking crack - the Blue line goes through the worst of the worst areas in Los Angeles and after rush hour the lines run every 20-30 minutes; so you could be waiting in a station in Downtown after the game just for a TRANSFER to the Blue line. Take a taxi or shuttle.

Who's smoking crack?? The Blue Line's Pico Station is two minutes from the Staples Center on foot. Why in the world would you need to transfer to the Blue Line??? You would go to the Pico Station and board a Blue Line train directly (unless, of course, you were smoking crack - then you might think you have to transfer). And after a game, the platform will have hundreds (if not thousands) of people, so it's not like you'll be waiting alone on a deserted platform. You'll have PLENTY of company both on the platform and on the ride back to Long Beach. And I don't think the OP relishes the idea of spending $100-150 r/t on a cab or shuttle.

Who's smoking crack?? The Blue Line's Pico Station is two minutes from the Staples Center on foot. Why in the world would you need to transfer to the Blue Line??? You would go to the Pico Station and board a Blue Line train directly (unless, of course, you were smoking crack - then you might think you have to transfer). And after a game, the platform will have hundreds (if not thousands) of people, so it's not like you'll be waiting alone on a deserted platform. You'll have PLENTY of company both on the platform and on the ride back to Long Beach. And I don't think the OP relishes the idea of spending $100-150 r/t on a cab or shuttle.

Ah I wasn't aware there was a stop there, Metro Center is my station. But, dude, the Blue line to LB? Crazy talk. It's a tour of the worst areas in LA.

http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bus_overview/images/801.pdf

"The Blue Line has had the greatest number of aggravated assaults, strong-arm robberies, vehicle burglaries, general burglaries and petty theft this year. The Blue Line runs from Los Angeles to Long Beach and passes through South L.A., Florence, Watts, Willowbrook and Rancho Dominguez."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/bottleneck/2008/09/post.html

No thanks.

Ah I wasn't aware there was a stop there, Metro Center is my station. But, dude, the Blue line to LB? Crazy talk. It's a tour of the worst areas in LA.

http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bus_overview/images/801.pdf

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/bottleneck/2008/09/post.html

No thanks.

Dude, I don't think any of us are advocating getting off in Compton, Watts, or anywhere else along the route. Much of the crime reported occurs in the stations, not on the train (unless people are breaking into or stealing cars while they're one the train - I'd like to see that one!). After a game, the train will have quite a few passengers on it, so the most likely crime would be petty theft (pickpocketing) or some drunks from the event getting into a fight. That can happen anytime, anywhere. It's a city. Keep your eyes open, stay with the crowd, stay aware of your surroundings.

Archived