Popular Hawaii Souvenirs?

cleobella

It's getting closer to December-and our long awaited for trip to Hawaii on POA! Does any one know what kind of souvenirs are popular there-other then aloha shirts? I wonder if Hawaii is known for any particular jewelry or art? Has anyone done any shopping at Big Island Candies-is it worthwhile bringing goodies home? I'm thinking maybe Hawaii is not going to be a shopper's mecca, but you never know....:D

It's getting closer to December-and our long awaited for trip to Hawaii on POA! Does any one know what kind of souvenirs are popular there-other then aloha shirts? I wonder if Hawaii is known for any particular jewelry or art? Has anyone done any shopping at Big Island Candies-is it worthwhile bringing goodies home? I'm thinking maybe Hawaii is not going to be a shopper's mecca, but you never know....:D

I was a little disappointed with the shopping in Hawaii. I thought there would be a lot of unique gifts...but everywhere I looked, places were selling the same thing. It reminded me of the Caribbean. The big chain in Hawaii (Hilo Hattie) sells a lot of Hawaiian gifts and they sell some gifts you wouldn't find anywhere else on the islands, at least I didn't see them. My husband actually bought me a pearl necklace from Maui Divers Jewelry. If you have never heard of them, you can pick out an oyster and the salesperson will open it and see what type of pearl is inside. Then, you pick the setting of the pearl to be placed in. This store is also on every island.

I wanted to bring back something that was going to be authentic and unique and had the hardest time finding that special something. On the very last island we visited (Oahu), I ended up purchasing a Kim Taylor Reese statue of a Hawaiian girl in the stance of "Aloha." It is made out of bronze and is very artsy. I figured you couldn't get this anywhere else in the world. This is a great question to ask...wish I would have thought about it before I went!

I would be interested in any jewellry that is made from something specifically Hawaiian if that exists.

I read about the pearls and that sounds good, is there anything else available?

In Kona my girlfriend and I both got sterling silver toe rings with a Honu (sea turtle) design and sterling ankle bracelets with turtles, fish and shells. Yes I know it's not the fanciest or most expensive jewelry, but we love it and since we actually did swim with turtles that day it will always remind us of that experience. We got the jewelry at a shop in the Kona Inn shops. The toe ring is a real fitted ring that goes all the way around, not the cheap kind that you just pinch on your toes. In fact, both of our's were sized in the the jewelry store next door.

We just brought home a ton of Kona Coffee to get a little Hawaii every morning at home. We also bought a bunch of the Hershey Kisses with Macadamia nuts in them as they are only available there. These both make great gifts if that is what you are looking for. As far as jewelery, I believe Na Hoku (sp?) is supposed to be a Hawaiian company, but I have seen shops here in CA. Seeking local artisans for handmade crafts is another way to experience something authentic. It really depnds on what you might be looking for.

I wish I had gotten some aloha shirts! We found some at a mall in Hanalei (on Kauai) that had them for $5 I think - my dad got one he will actually wear; it was in more muted colors.

I saw a craftsman on the sidewalk in Kona making hats and other items from fronds (palm or coconut or something else, I'm not sure). Wish I'd gotten one of those.

My souvenirs were mainly the leis I made on board the ship; I bought the supplies they sold and made seashell and kukui nut leis for my mother, aunt, and self; and kukui nut leis for my dad and husband. I also made a ribbon lei for myself. I missed that class but they had directions printed out and it was easy to follow them.

I don't like macadamia nuts but I took some back for my coworkers. We got them for $5 a pound at Banana Joe's fruit stand on Kauai (near the lighthouse). I wish I'd bought some Kona coffee but am not supposed to drink a lot of caffeine. :)

I also got one of the "red dirt" and one of the "lava rock" t-shirts for my son - the former with a moa (Hawaiian chicken) on it and the latter with a Honu (turtle). I also got him a Donkey Balls shirt and a shirt with that fish with the impossibly long name.

My husband and I spent some time on our last day in Oahu looking for koa wood sculptures but did not have any luck; we'd also looked in Lahaina.

I also buy a gazillion postcards in case my photos don't turn out well.

I don't like macadamia nuts but I took some back for my coworkers. We got them for $5 a pound at Banana Joe's fruit stand on Kauai (near the lighthouse).

Wow, can't wait! Just bought 1 lb of them at Wegman's in NY for DD at $13 lb. She loves them so I know what to bring back for her!

I would be interested in any jewellry that is made from something specifically Hawaiian if that exists.

I read about the pearls and that sounds good, is there anything else available?

Don't know if it's from Hawaii but you might want to check out the black or pink coral jewelry.

We went to a coffee farm in Kona and the mac nuts were so plentiful, they were cracking them open and letting the chickens eat them! :p

My FAVORITE souvenir for ME was a Kona coffee tote bag that was reversible and made from the burlap bag. We got it at Blue Sky Coffee.

The souvenir of choice for my teen girls at home was the scented soap I found at the Aloha Swap Meet. My favorite is pikake but they had tons of scents. They also had lotions.

On the Road to Hana, we stopped at mm29 and tasted and bought coconut shaving candy. YUM. I brought several baggies home, and it stayed good. That same fella was making things from the palm fronds and selling them.

My husband loves Koa wood and we found a spot on Kauai that sold things made from Koa and also the unfinished blocks. (I think it was called "Zimmerman and William Woodworkers" or something like that.

When my friend from book club went, she brought home a book mark made from Koa wood for each one of us and I LOVE it. She got them in bulk at the swap meet. (lightweight and fairly inexpensive)

My husband got a women of Hawaii and men of Hawaii calenders for his co-workers and they are enjoying them. We got them for 99 cents each at an ABC store on sale.

What I WISH I had bought for my baby grandkids were the turtles made from Hawaiian print material that they had for sale on the ship. (they didn't have eyes that would come off like most do) I still regret not getting those. As stated, so many of the souvenir places had the same things and I couldn't find these again.

Hope this helps!

My DW bought some nice Jewelry at the International Market place, fairly cheap.

But our favorite thing was a hand made bag which we found people making along the Road to Hana, out of straw. it wasn't expensive and isn't the prettiest of bags, but my DW treasures it.

We also bought home several wind chimes made from coconut tree wood.

cheers

Len

For non-expensive jewelry, there are many local artists who make fun earrings, bracelets, and necklaces. Honu are featured in both inexpensive and elegant jewelry. For really wonderful jewelry, look for high quality Hawaiian Heritage jewelry. The plumeria is a featured flower and the perfect choice, IMO. True HH jewelry is not cheap, but it is worth the money. It's really the kind of thing most of us have to save up to buy.

For other options, look for red dirt shirts (Kauai in particular), kukui nut items, koa wood items, the ubiquitous mac nuts (the BI has some great small farms), and Kona coffee and Kauai coffee (an often overlooked, very affordable, delicious coffee option). Locally made chocolates are a great choice; Big Island Candies are excellent, IMO. Maui Crystal in Lahaina (off Front St and Lahainaluna) is great. Glass Mango is also in Lahaina, but I don't know it well.

Also wine (such as it is) is an option on Maui (Tedeschi, located upcountry) and the BI (Volcano, outside of VNP). The wines aren't the types you'll find in the main wine regions of the mainland or other large wine growing areas, but it can be a fun thing to bring back. Tedeschi's brut sparkling is actually pretty tasty. The other Tedeschi wines simply don't do it for me, but the drive upcountry is beautiful and the Tedeschi grounds are great. Don't forget to stop at Ulupalakua Ranch Store for good food. The tasting at Volcano was what I would call "interesting" (a polite way of saying, "novelty, but I wouldn't drink this"). Neither is an "on its own" stop, but they are fun it you're in the area anyway.

Here I must confess that I'm not much of a shopper and, you'll note, many of my choices are consumables.

beachchick

Some great ideas, thanks everyone. We don't buy a lot of souvenirs, but hubby likes to buy me a nice piece of jewellry whenever we go on holidays, so I am getting some inside info to drop hints;).

We will have to be very careful with buying wood/shells or natural things due to our strict quarantine laws when returning to Oz.

We have a mac nut tree in our backyard, so no need to buy them!

On every vacation I look for Christmas ornaments (locally made - preferably hand crafted), earrings and a slide for my omni necklace. I am also looking forward to buying flavored Kona coffee. Yum! My main souvenir is my photobook I make when I return home, so will be looking for many wonderful photo opportunities. From what I have seen I should not have any problem finding those!

DH loves Hawaiian shirts, so this is the one vacation where he will be on the prowl looking for them everywhere. He already has Bailey's programmed into his GPS in Honolulu and plans to go there on our first full day right after we go to Pearl Harbor.:rolleyes: He also like to pick up CD's of local music when available.

We also have a small wood carving collection. Most are ironwood, but have picked up other items in the Caribbean that we treasure. Now I know to look for more of that while in Hawaii. I plan to spend some time shopping in Lahaina, so may find something there.

On every vacation I look for Christmas ornaments (locally made - preferably hand crafted), earrings and a slide for my omni necklace. I am also looking forward to buying flavored Kona coffee. Yum! My main souvenir is my photobook I make when I return home, so will be looking for many wonderful photo opportunities. From what I have seen I should not have any problem finding those!

DH loves Hawaiian shirts, so this is the one vacation where he will be on the prowl looking for them everywhere. He already has Bailey's programmed into his GPS in Honolulu and plans to go there on our first full day right after we go to Pearl Harbor.:rolleyes: He also like to pick up CD's of local music when available.

We also have a small wood carving collection. Most are ironwood, but have picked up other items in the Caribbean that we treasure. Now I know to look for more of that while in Hawaii. I plan to spend some time shopping in Lahaina, so may find something there.

We actually picked up the idea to begin collecting Christmas ornaments on vacations now :) We got an ornament made from Koa wood in Lahaina. I also get a postcard and magnet from every place I go.

If you are traveling to Lahaina (if the ship doesn't port there, drive there!), make sure you check out the stores in that town. It is the cutest town and has so much shopping! I also bought some artsy gifts for family members from local artists...they are plentiful in the town.

We actually picked up the idea to begin collecting Christmas ornaments on vacations now :) We got an ornament made from Koa wood in Lahaina. I also get a postcard and magnet from every place I go.

If you are traveling to Lahaina (if the ship doesn't port there, drive there!), make sure you check out the stores in that town. It is the cutest town and has so much shopping! I also bought some artsy gifts for family members from local artists...they are plentiful in the town.

The ornament would be exactly what I am looking for! We do plan to spend some time in Lahaina, so I will keep my eyes open for those.

Like you I always make it a point to get a Christmas ornament and a magnet for the fridge. Lahaina is already on our "to do" list!:D

We also collect Christmas ornaments from the places we visit. Is the Koa wood ornaments located close to the ship dock in Lahaina? It will help us a lot if we have some kind of idea where the store is because we will be snorkeling most the day and will only have a few hours to shop. Thanks you

On every vacation I look for Christmas ornaments (locally made - preferably hand crafted)

I usually do this too. I didn't see anything I liked that fit the locally-made, preferably hand-crafted criteria, but then we really did not do that much shopping.

When my friend from book club went, she brought home a book mark made from Koa wood for each one of us and I LOVE it. She got them in bulk at the swap meet. (lightweight and fairly inexpensive)

One of my book clubs does this too! I got koa wood surfboard bookmarks (but not at the swap meet, so not so inexpensive - luckily, that book club is small). My aunt also bought one for me (slightly different style), so I am going to use one of them as a Christmas tree ornament!

We also collect Christmas ornaments from the places we visit. Is the Koa wood ornaments located close to the ship dock in Lahaina? It will help us a lot if we have some kind of idea where the store is because we will be snorkeling most the day and will only have a few hours to shop. Thanks you

I actually bought the ornament from the Cannery Mall, which is right beside all the downtown shops in Lahaina. I believe the store is Maui Treasures where I got it and they had SO MANY ornaments. They mall's website is http://www.lahainacannery.com/. I don't know where the ship docks as my ship docked in Kahului, but I'm sure it's within a couple minutes drive from the port.

And as far as the koa bookmarks...you will see them everywhere down there!

If your ship stops at Lahaina, there is no cruise ship pier. You will tender in to shore. The tender docks are on the waterfront right in the main part of town. Within steps there are restaurants, hundreds of shops and many of the historical sights that Lahaina has to offer. Lahaina is one of my favorite stops while cruising around the islands.

I should add this because I am so glad we stopped in this store...

If anyone is a surfer (or knows someone for a gift) or likes unique t-shirts or apparel, try Maui Built. They only have stores in Maui. They have a website as well for their locations, but they have a location in downtown Lahaina. When we went in to check out the store, they said they only sell their items on Maui and you cannot order the items online or by phone. We loved that since you have to be in Maui to buy the items from the store.

So we bought a shirt for each of us that had their signature logo that has the Hawaiian islands and it states "Maui Built: This Ain't The Mainland" (love it haha) and decals for our vehicles

Just another unique option :)

• 1 month later...
Some great ideas, thanks everyone. We don't buy a lot of souvenirs, but hubby likes to buy me a nice piece of jewellry whenever we go on holidays, so I am getting some inside info to drop hints;).

There is, imo, a truly wonderful Hawaiian jewelry store that is not to be missed if you're looking for nice, high quality jewelry made in Hawaii. It is Na Hoku and can be found on most of the islands. Here is a link to their website: www.nahoku.com I have been buying from them for many, many years. Their quality is top-notch. Their pieces are beautiful. And, they are made in Hawaii. (Note that they do carry other designers' pieces, but the majority of their pieces are theirs - made in the islands.)

They have beautiful pieces in all price points.

Hope you find something there that will remind you of a truly magical place!

There is, imo, a truly wonderful Hawaiian jewelry store that is not to be missed if you're looking for nice, high quality jewelry made in Hawaii. It is Na Hoku and can be found on most of the islands. Here is a link to their website: www.nahoku.com I have been buying from them for many, many years. Their quality is top-notch. Their pieces are beautiful. And, they are made in Hawaii. (Note that they do carry other designers' pieces, but the majority of their pieces are theirs - made in the islands.)

They have beautiful pieces in all price points.

Hope you find something there that will remind you of a truly magical place!

Thank You! will have a look at their website.

Archived