Leaving out of Fort Lauderale

JrMafia90

There is always a lot of ships out of Fort Lauderale, I didn't think there was so many ships. But does that make leaving out of Fort Lauderale a hassle? Does it take forever to leave, is there long lines? A lot of traffic? I would expect there to be more ships at Miami. Do you like leaving out of Fort Lauderale?

Hi:) I haven't sailed out of Miami so I can't give you a personal comparison.

But for as many ship as Port Everglades holds, it really isn't that bad. There are plenty of cabs right outside to take people to the airport.

I do know where the Port of Miami is located and I definitely prefer FLL. You have to go another 1/2 hour to get down to Miami. (And that is with "normal traffic").

Sailed out of FLL on Century February 12. Cab from airport to hotel on 17th Street was only $9.00. Saturday morning, cab fare to ship was $5.00. On return, we walked off the ship, and within 15 minutes were at the airport. Cab fare was $11.00. No hassles at all. Celebrity said to board at 1:00, but we went at 11:30. Got right on and lunch was waiting for us.

Sailed out of FLL on Century February 12. Cab from airport to hotel on 17th Street was only $9.00. Saturday morning, cab fare to ship was $5.00. On return, we walked off the ship, and within 15 minutes were at the airport. Cab fare was $11.00. No hassles at all. Celebrity said to board at 1:00, but we went at 11:30. Got right on and lunch was waiting for us.

My experience a year ago was almost the same as Perry's. Mom & I were impressed with how easy it was flying into and cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale. We decided we would avoid Miami in the future because of this good experience. When we got off the boat there was a cab queue, and we waited less than five minutes for a cab. We were so early to the airport that we had to kill several hours just sitting around -- we had no idea we would get off the boat so quickly and easily!

I agree with the others, I have sailed from Miami and Fort Lauderdale and Fort Lauderdale is the easiest getting into and out of. I also like sail away from Port Everglades. It's fun being up on the top deck and waving to the people out on the balconies of their condos.

Terri

I agree with the others, I have sailed from Miami and Fort Lauderdale and Fort Lauderdale is the easiest getting into and out of. I also like sail away from Port Everglades. It's fun being up on the top deck and waving to the people out on the balconies of their condos.

Terri

I am with you on that one Terri - does the man still ring his bell as the ship goes passed. It is 3 years since we left from Fort Lauderdale and it has to be the best sailaway. Looking forward to it again in oooh less than six weeks time

There is always a lot of ships out of Fort Lauderale, I didn't think there was so many ships. But does that make leaving out of Fort Lauderale a hassle? Does it take forever to leave, is there long lines? A lot of traffic? I would expect there to be more ships at Miami. Do you like leaving out of Fort Lauderale?
For reasons better left to another thread and another day, we won't be sailing from Ft. Lauderdale again.

BUT, it's certainly not because of embarkation. There are many hotels/motels in the area that will pick you up and drop you off if you spend the night, and if you arriving by bus or taking a taxi from the airport, we noted that the traffic was quite reasonable. The terminal area itself seemed reasonably well organized, and they had plenty of indoor area devoted to those waiting to go through the magic doors to the check-in area. On the whole, an entirely organized bunch. Of course, with the ship traffic they have there, you'd HOPE that would be the case!

Lines were not particulary long at any time during the morning of our departure. They had a great many desks set up to handle check-in. That said, we wound up with an old fellow who was a rookie, and spent nearly 30 minutes getting checked in. That seemed to be the exception, however, as the other lines were moving right along.

We have sailed once from Miami, and note that the process of getting to/from the cruise terminal wasn't as quick. Check-in was with another line, though, so can't comment on whether Celebrity's crew there is as expeditious as FLL.

We let Celebrity schedule our air tickets and transfer to the ship from the airport. We won't ever do that again. We waited nearly an hour for the bus to the ship. And when the bus finally got there it smelled terrible. Next time we'll take a taxi.

FLL is a breeze. A little crowded at the airport on the return leg but nothing terrible. Took a cab to hotel the day before the cruise departed and took hotel shuttle to the ship. No hassles at all. On return plenty of cabs available to go to either a hotel or the airport.

I was wondering which side of the ship the condos are on who do all the waving at sailaway - port or starboard - . . . also, is there really a guy who rings a bell?

Port side.

I've not heard the bell, but I've heard airhorns.

Also, some condo owners fly pennants/flags with the various cruiseline logos. You sail out and see the "X" pennants for Celebrity!

Wish I were sailing out past those condos right now...

Another quick question: Is there enough time after the muster drill to run back to your cabin and see the waving, flag-flying, airhorn-blowing people (lucky me, my sky suite's on portside:) )? It sure would be a blast to see this on that nice, big verandah and sipping my complimentary sparkling wine . . . who wants to join me?

Another quick question: Is there enough time after the muster drill to run back to your cabin and see the waving, flag-flying, airhorn-blowing people (lucky me, my sky suite's on portside:) )? It sure would be a blast to see this on that nice, big verandah and sipping my complimentary sparkling wine . . . who wants to join me?

There SURE is, but it's seems more 'exciting' joining all the other fellow cruisers at sailaway. If you still wanted to slip back to your cabin and go out on the balcony, you would definitely have enough time.

There can be problems in Fort Lauderdale depending on the number of ships. We disembarked a couple of years ago in Fort Lauderdale on a day there were many ships in port. The large number of people all heading to the airport at the same time seemed to ovewhelm the airport. We had to wait almost two hours to check in and another hour to go through security. It doesn't happen often, but it can happen.

There can be problems in Fort Lauderdale depending on the number of ships. We disembarked a couple of years ago in Fort Lauderdale on a day there were many ships in port. The large number of people all heading to the airport at the same time seemed to ovewhelm the airport. We had to wait almost two hours to check in and another hour to go through security. It doesn't happen often, but it can happen.

Not a problem for me and my group this time through the other day.

But being in Captains Club does have it's little extras. ;)

We are always early off the ship and to the airport before the lines get out of control.

There were at least 5 ships docking this past sunday.

Archived