Gifts for ship's staff in addition to cash

yazeee1

On previous cruises, all of which were with DCL, the service was exceptional. We're not demanding people, but neither are we shy about asking for what we want, so we made sure to tip generously. We also brought with us small gifts of phone cards for our room steward and candy for the children's program staff. Candy and phone cards seemed to be the most popular items to bring. Is the same true on NCL? Do people give especially appreciated staff members gifts other than tipping generously? Are phone cards still a desirable offering?

Cash is king!!!

All phone cards cannot be used in every port... what's wrong with giving extra cash?

Also, home-town trinkets and souvenirs, t-shirts etc are not appreciated... staff cabins are tiny, they've got no room for anything!

At least with extra cash, they can buy anything they need.

Oh... and forget the $2 bills.... a lot of foreign ports don't recognise them, so won't take them!

This is all info I got from staff members on previous cruises.

If you really want to do something nice, a simple card with a nice thank you note with the extra money you planned to spend on the small gift in it. Then complete S.T.Y.L.E card reflecting the service they gave, and the e-mailed survey you will receive after you get home.

I think most everyone really appreciates being treated with respect, courtesy and a sincere "thank you" for a job well done. Additionally, being acknowledged for good service with cash is usually the most welcomed gift.

Thank you for all the replies except for the rude question about how much we tip. That's an especially interesting bit of information about the phonecards not being useable in all ports.

As for the oddball question as to whether I am affiliated with Disney. What is your reason for asking, and what is so strange about a family having taken four cruises with the same cruiseline? The only reason we're going on NCL this time is because my father is taking us, and he likes Norwegian. For the record, no, I am not affiliated with Disney. Our family has never even been to Disney World.

• Like 1

The best thing to give in addition to cash is: More Cash.

Phone cards are not a great idea. I've spoken to a number of crew and they do not like phone cards and many of them are thrown in the trash. People will give phone cards that are not international cards or they do not provide the recipient the access numbers to make calls.

The crew cabins are small and they have no use or room for the vast majority of gifts.

Of course they will graciously accept these gifts and give the giver a good feeling but don't be surprised if the hand knit scarf or other "little gift" ends up in the trash.

Money is greatly and genuinely appreciated.

Take care,

Mike

On NCL, tipping is not required.

Instead, there's a $12/pp per day Service Charge which takes care of both the people you see, and the ones you don't see...who make your cruise special.

If you choose to offer tips on top of the Service Charge (you do NOT have to), then cash is probably the best route.

While crew members will graciously accept gifts...given how small their personal cabin space is, and how many passengers might leave them gifts....usually the gift ends up in the trash, unused.

Phone cards can't be used in every port, and the crew generally knows where to buy them at the best price...so cash is our offering.

As to listing all the cruises we've been on, or on what lines.....I don't. Doesn't mean anything except I just don't think how many cruises or on what lines is particularly relevant when I'm offering my opinion about something.

Having been behind the scenes, the crew can purchase their own phone cards from a machine in the crew area, so I agree with the poster who said cash is king! Perhaps the additional can be anything you would like to give. STYLE cards are good, asking if they need anything in port is good, a little surprise for them here and there is good!

On a side note, a gift is a gift is a gift. It should come from the heart and if you want to give a knitted scarf on a Caribbean cruise from your heart, then you give the knitted scarf! Whatever happened to the thought counting? You can paint a rock, wrap it up, give it to me, and I will cherish it forever. Ask my brother who did just that when we were little kids.

coka

Edited by coka
  • Like 1

I don't agree with the comments about gifts ending up in the trash. Of course, it depends on your selection of gifts and if not appropriate, they could be trashed.

I get comments from cruise to cruise about how much they like the things I give them, and some ask for another for their friends or family. Their comments and interest is genuine---- not faked. Some have brought me things from their homeland which I treasure very much. More so for the memories than value.

I don't agree with the comments about gifts ending up in the trash. Of course, it depends on your selection of gifts and if not appropriate, they could be trashed.

I get comments from cruise to cruise about how much they like the things I give them, and some ask for another for their friends or family. Their comments and interest is genuine---- not faked. Some have brought me things from their homeland which I treasure very much. More so for the memories than value.

This is so true. I gave a gift once to my steward and he said he was going to save it to bring it home to his daughter. I had another one so I gave him two so he could enjoy it. In another instance I gave a gift and years later when I saw the same employee again, they still had it. I did not believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. Part of the fun in giving is figuring out what someone else might like!

Regarding my cruises...um...a few here and there!

coka

Edited by coka
  • Like 1

Crew members for the most part (the service crews, not the entertainers, etc.), are on board to earn cash to send home to their families. They are not on board to be entertained or collect souvenirs. Port calls, when they get them, are spent shopping for staples, or things to take home, not trinkets and souvenirs.

So yes, cash is best.

We always leave the DSC in place, tip extra, AND sometimes bring small gifts (especially when cruising over the holidays then I bring lots of gifts!). I am sensitive to crew space, so generally bring something that can be consumed - since we live at the Jersey Shore, it's usually small boxes or bags of salt water taffy. That way the crew member can eat it himself or share with his crewmates. It's funny how many crew members remember us from cruise to cruise by our gifts! Not being cheap, just adding a little extra fun...

Robin

Mayber those who want to give something extra could ask the crew member what they need or want and do not have the time to get it while in port. Once on a B2B I saw one of the buffet servers waiting for a cab so I asked her where she was going.......Walmart to buy LAUNDRY SOAP.

I usually tip extra, in cash....but for something fun I like to do oragami with the bills (do them at home prior to the cruise).

Here's a link to some of the designs I've tried...

http://www.origami-resource-center.com/money-origami.html

The crew love them, and you can make them with any denomiation of bill.

• Like 1

On NCL, tipping is not required.

Instead, there's a $12/pp per day Service Charge which takes care of both the people you see, and the ones you don't see...who make your cruise special.

If you choose to offer tips on top of the Service Charge (you do NOT have to), then cash is probably the best route.

The DSC is discretionary.....freestyle, your choice!

I usually tip extra, in cash....but for something fun I like to do oragami with the bills (do them at home prior to the cruise).

Here's a link to some of the designs I've tried...

http://www.origami-resource-center.com/money-origami.html

The crew love them, and you can make them with any denomiation of bill.

Now THAT is a wonderful idea for those who want to give a gift to the crew in addition to paying their full DSC--it's a combination of the gift that is recommended (cash) with a personal touch besides! Can't go wrong with that type of gift-giving!

• Like 1

When we sailed in the Owner's Suite on a 14 day cruise last year, we were given three bottles of booze as a gift for staying in the room I guess. Since I am exclusively a wine-o, we never opened the bottles. We gave those to our butler. I hope it wasn't an insult. We did of course also tip, but I didn't want to try packing home the booze. We figured if he didn't drink, a lot of his friends might.