Hurricane Richard

TVMet

Looks to make a direct hit, just south of Belize City, Sunday evening.

Yep! Not going to be a good early week in the Western. trailing seas will be rough until Wednesday or Thursday. Let hope the cays get through okay. Batten down Wade. :)

But the T.V. should hold up pretty good unless Richard really intensifies.

Looks to make a direct hit, just south of Belize City, Sunday evening.

Belize City gusted to 55 mph in the last observation at 8 pm. The eye has gone in just to their south. Belize City appears to have been in the eyewall.

Yep! Not going to be a good early week in the Western. trailing seas will be rough until Wednesday or Thursday. Let hope the cays get through okay. Batten down Wade. :)

But the T.V. should hold up pretty good unless Richard really intensifies.

10 pm local time

All good here in San Pedro. Tropic sent all their planes to Flores Guatemala at mid-day.We were at Crazy Cunucks, A beach bar. Until the afternoon. All bars were to close by 6pm by law. So just wind and rain here. You could surf on the reef today. Looks like 20foot waves crashing on the reef.

The Mainland is getting it worse than the Cayes.

I am posting some pictures. I will update soon.

Apparently & thankfully no loss of life country-wide.

Seems like a fair amount of property & tree damage in Belize City & Belmopan (according to LoveFM)

Nothing much on the radio right now about conditions in these areas.

No school today anywhere in the country.

All Clear should be announced a little later today.

San Pedro had no damage. Belize City did not do so well.

Aftermath-0007.jpg

Aftermath-0001.jpg

Aftermath-0002.jpg

But the worst was yet to come. Twenty-four hours after the passage of Richard, the picture of the devastation began to emerge. The Category one hurricane slammed into Belize City with a vengeance. The hurricane force winds caused the collapse of wooden houses throughout the city. Trees tumbled atop some houses or fell across streets, electricity was interrupted and central and southern Belize was plunged into darkness. Thousands sought refuge at shelters and others were sorry they braved it at home.

Not only for residents but those of us visiting soon, wonder if ships will still stop there if damage not cleared and back to normal????Leaving next month,....know it took quite some time for Orlando area to get back after Hurricane Charlie...had no power,lots of tree damage,etc....incl 3 trees on my house....not fun.....so sad....anyone else concerned about this stop now???:confused:

Here is a morning after shot from 6am North Ambergris Caye

morningafter.jpg

Wadethegringo,

I'm hearing mixed info regarding the condition of Bannister Caye. I have a tour there next month. Tour operator says it will be cleaned up in a couple of weeks but another tour operator says it is closed indefinately and may never open. Any word on that?

Wadethegringo,

I'm hearing mixed info regarding the condition of Bannister Caye. I have a tour there next month. Tour operator says it will be cleaned up in a couple of weeks but another tour operator says it is closed indefinitely and may never open. Any word on that?

Bannister is a privately owned island. I am not sure of the status. I will ask around and see if I can find out anything out.

Does anyone know if ships are stopping this week? We are scheduled to stop next week on Thursday?

Hard to say...Carnival Triumph was scheduled for yesterday...nothing on Carnival board indicating it did not. Norweigan Pearl is suppose to be in today, but webcam shows only bow and if in the bow is pointed away from land, plus they anchor a ways out and it's sometimes difficult to see land from the ship. Carnival Legend and Valor are both due in tomorrow so maybe if they miss port someone will chirp up. However, I doubt there'll be any lingering reason for ships to avoid Belize City next week. Wind and rain damage, while destructive wasn't devastating.

Regarding Bannister Island, Ecotours also confirmed that it is closed until further notice.:( We were supposed to be there 2 weeks from today. I guess we'll make it an extra sea day.

So glad to hear that it doesn't sound like there was loss of life there...but Wade's pics of Belize City are very sad:(

Thanks for the update!!

Tonight we can confirm that the Carnival Triumph cancelled its stop-over in Belize today and on Thursday, the Carnival’s Valor will also not dock in Belize. The industry stands to lose, we are told by sources, in the range of a million Belize dollars, due to the cancellations. There is no confirmation yet on any cancellations for Friday or next week and we will follow-up on that. But we do know that the reasons for the cancellations are because the rain markers and the buoys were damaged by Hurricane Richard.

http://ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/391231/2_cruise_ships_cancel_their_po.html#Post391231

Archived