Savannah, GA

Budwheat

Beloved bride and I just got back from Savannah.

We truly belive it may be the most beautiful city in the U.S.

It's also got some amazing restaurants.

History up the wazoo.

While there we palyed tourist and took the riverboat ride.

The tour guide told us Savannah was trying to get one or 2 cruise lines to use it as a home port. He also told us that next week the "WORLD" was coming to town.

We usually sail out of Ft. Lauderdale.

If there was a nice cruise out of Savannah we'd drive up there for it, and then stay over for a few days.

Gramps

Say it's true!!! It would be wonderful to be able to sail out of Savannah. We sailed out of Charleston this spring and loved the convenience (definitely not the port arrangements, it was just crazy).

It would be great to have another choice close by and please try to bring in some lines other than Carnival. Right now they are the only one sailing from ports close to GA.

Let me know where to sign up!

There is a serious study here to consider Savannah as both a port of departure and as a port of call. What do you guys think? :D

I love Savannah and think it would be great as both however I'd probably skip a summer stop in Savannah lol!

Actually, a perfect cruise would be a winter Charleston, Savannah, St. Augustine.

There is a serious study here to consider Savannah as both a port of departure and as a port of call. What do you guys think? :D

I think it would be awesome. I live a few hours from Savannah and it would be close enough for me to take more cruises. I like RCCL and HAL the best, and would love to take them more often. I had been driving to port Canaveral, and although it isn't really far, it is far enough to not be enjoyable.

• 1 month later...

The study continues to explore the possibilities for Savannah, GA as either a major cruise line's port of call, or even a port of departure. That incredible condo ship "The World" was here last month. If you have strong opinions about this, please post here, and send your support to Alderman Tony Thomas at the City of Savannah. :)

Here's a link of the current news about this: http://savannahnow.com/news/2010-12-08/cruise-could-bring-350000-savannah

I read the news item about the feasibility study for Savannah. I'd offer a word of warning, however. The city of Norfolk spend millions of dollars to construct a beautiful cruise ship terminal a few years ago at the apparent "nudging" of cruise line representatives who were opposed to using a jury-rigged, but fuctional terminal. Well, a few years after the money was spent, Holland America and Royal Caribbean (the two lines whom I presume were the ones being "wooed" by Norfolk city officials) pulled out of the market, leaving us with a severely under utilized facility that hosts only a handful of cruise ship calls a year, with no line home porting here.

• 2 months later...
I read the news item about the feasibility study for Savannah. I'd offer a word of warning, however. The city of Norfolk spend millions of dollars to construct a beautiful cruise ship terminal a few years ago at the apparent "nudging" of cruise line representatives who were opposed to using a jury-rigged, but fuctional terminal. Well, a few years after the money was spent, Holland America and Royal Caribbean (the two lines whom I presume were the ones being "wooed" by Norfolk city officials) pulled out of the market, leaving us with a severely under utilized facility that hosts only a handful of cruise ship calls a year, with no line home porting here.

I live in the Norfolk, VA. area and you could not have put it more perfectly. At the urging of the cruise lines Norfolk did build a beautiful and functional cruise terminal at a cost of over $15 million. Upon opening this terminal a majority of the cruise lines said they could not make enough money leaving from Norfolk so "pooof" they were gone with RCI moving to Baltimore. If a cruise line cannot make enough money based on the income levels in Norfolk then I think Savannah will not get a ship homeported but you might make it as a port of call.

I live in the Norfolk, VA. area and you could not have put it more perfectly. At the urging of the cruise lines Norfolk did build a beautiful and functional cruise terminal at a cost of over $15 million. Upon opening this terminal a majority of the cruise lines said they could not make enough money leaving from Norfolk so "pooof" they were gone with RCI moving to Baltimore. If a cruise line cannot make enough money based on the income levels in Norfolk then I think Savannah will not get a ship homeported but you might make it as a port of call.

My understand, Norfolk tried to make that 15 million back in a hurry with high port charges and ran HAL out before the terminal was finished and RCI lasted a year. Now Carnival does about six cruises a year and a couple lines use Norfolk as a port of call. The city does rent the terminal out for activities. The good thing is Norfolk's Cruise Passenger Service was vote best in the US.

Archived