Recommend Southern Caribbean Islands

Ithocles

I'm starting to look at Southern Caribbean islands to visit for a trip I'm planning next year. This will be the first non-Western itinerary my partner and I have been on so I'd like some recommendations from a few more experienced cruisers. The one island I'd really like to go to is St. Lucia for the pitons. Other than that, I'm undecided. What are some of the better islands?

-Danny

We loved St. Lucia, Antigua, and St. Kitts. We liked Curacao better than Aruba, although the fact that we were in Aruba on its national holiday and a lot of things were closed probably swayed our opinion some. I could skip going back to Grenada.

I went to St Lucia last Nov. I went with family and friends to a beach that the locals recomended. It was a popular beach with allot of vendors that haggled us to death, seemed like wherever I went on the beach or out in water I was offerd things to buy. It got annoying after awile..

The main reason I wanted to post this is: Dont wear a Speedo..One of the locals that "ran" the beach had the nerve to yell out to me to put some shorts on. I simply ignored him and there was no other comments. I left about a hour later. My speedo was conservitive with a full back coverage and 2 inch sides.

I do have the body for one and not ashamed of it in any way. I look better then over 50% of the women there falling out of there suits with all the fat..So I dont know what the problem was with the Locals..

I recomend a more less popular beach that dosent attract all the crowds from cruise ships and local hagglers. Providing you decide to go to a beach there in St Lucia.

Thank you all for the advice! I need to start reading about Curacao, but it seems my desire to visit St. Lucia isn't unfounded. It's fun looking at the different itineraries to see which one would be the best, kind of like window shopping for cruises!

-Danny

We did the Southern Caribbean on the Millenium in April. We liked Caracao and Tortula (BVI) the best. The snorkeling at the Virgin Gorda Baths in Tortula was exceptional.

Forgot to add this to our list. Virgin Gorda Baths in Tortula is fabulous and a photographers dream!

Dominica- Outstanding island with many trails, waterfalls, rain forest, etc. It is pretty undeveloped which is why I love it.

St Lucia- Beautiful vistas and sights. Take an island tour. The pitons are majestic.

Curacao- Taxis are high, but the downtown area is really neat. You can walk around there all day.

Aruba- Just because it is different then other Caribbean islands. It is like a desert.

Those are some of my favorites. The Southern Caribbean is by far my favorite. The islands are all amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Good for you wearing a speedo.......I must bring a dozen everytime I am on a cruise. LUV the tanline as well, when I get home again!

Been wearing them for many years and on every vacation and cruise I take. I dont wear "normal" guys swimsuits (dork shorts). Thanks for the compliment.

Archived