Thinking of P&O,worried about formality on Arcadia

TOMCAT22

Hi Everyone

Toying with P&O Arcadia cruise to Canary islands early Dec 10 or RCI Independance of the seas.Never cruised P&O so was swaying towards Arcadia to try the brand but concerned it might be too formal for me.

I read that Arcadia not only has formal nights (could try buffet those nights) but also semi formal nights that require a jacket.

I guess I want to know how strictly they enforce the dress code,i.e. will I physically be prevented from entering the dining room without a jacket on semi and formal nights?

Jacket not really an option for me due to size and comfort issues but would be wearing smart shirts and trousers.

Is Arcadia an example of an even more formal ship than the rest of the brand considering it is adults only?

Hope to book something this week so would appreciate any help with the questions.:)

Earlier this year a table companion hadn't read about the dress code for the night and on a semi-formal night turned up at the MDR in a red jumper, the Maitr'D loaned him a jacket for the duration of the meal. He had a jacket in his cabin which he would have worn if he had realized.

You could always carry a jacket rather than wear it!

I don't think Arcadia is more formal than the other P&O ships other than perhaps Ventura (Ventura does not have Semi-formal evenings). All cruises have 4 formal evenings on a two week cruise. This means either a DJ or dark suit for men if they wish to dine in the main restaurant and go into the majority of the bars. You can dine in the buffet restaurant on these evenings and just have smart casual (no jacket necessary). It would be a pity to miss out on the main dining room on these evenings because there is always an enhanced menu and the ship takes on a glamorous appearance on these evenings.

It may be that there is one bar where you can wear smart-casual on a Formal evening but I don't know about this. Arcadia does tend to be quieter than the "family friendly" ships which have children on board. May I suggest you get the P&O brochure if you haven't already and this has a double page spread all about dress codes. Also you could go to the P&O site and register on their Community section which has a forum devoted to Arcadia and this will give you lots of information.

I certainly don't think you would be allowed into the main dining room on a formal evening without a jacket, but as I say you could choose to dine in the buffet. Hope this helps.

Hi

I read that Arcadia not only has formal nights (could try buffet those nights) but also semi formal nights that require a jacket.

I guess I want to know how strictly they enforce the dress code,i.e. will I physically be prevented from entering the dining room without a jacket on semi and formal nights? You may be, especially on a formal night. Have you a jacket you can wear into the restaurant and take off once seated? Although nearly every man will be wearing a black tux or a suit in the main restaurant on a formal night and will keep their jackets on...

Jacket not really an option for me due to size and comfort issues but would be wearing smart shirts and trousers. Have you got a suit or jacket? I've seen men 25 stone + in a suit onboard, if so why not wear it to get in, then remove jacket. Smart shirt and trousers are the suggested wear for smart-casual nights.

Is Arcadia an example of an even more formal ship than the rest of the brand considering it is adults only? I've been on all the ships in the fleet and Arcadia is as formal as the others. Being child-free the adults to dress up , but then they do on all the ships on formal nights.

Hope you find the answers a help.

Smart shirt

Can somebody tell me exactly what this means - in my mind it means a collared shirt which buttons up the front - however it could also mean a collared POLO style shirt??

It's not real smart to use subjective words like smart when referring to anything other than intelligence. Some could say that this looks "smart" - but I am not sure that this is what is intended by P&O :)

Thanks

Barry

On a formal night a 'smart' shirt is definately one with a collar and buttons a polo type is ok for smart casual nights. On Arcadia if you use the club dining on formal nights I don't think I saw any men without a jacket arriving in the restaurant, by the end of the meal many though do remove them. After dinner in many of the bars and on deck the jackets do disappear especially if you are in hotter climates

Barry,

Maybe the English language does not translate to Australian. Rather than smart casual it might be better described as elegant casual.

However this from P&O website

Smart Casual

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual trousers (not shorts) for men. A jacket and smart trousers may be worn but are not compulsory. Smart dark denim may be worn however we request that the following items are not worn: sportswear, e.g. trainers, football shirts and tracksuits. Bring your brightest clothes for our Tropical evenings.

http://www.pocruises.com/Help/Dining/

Brian

Hi Brian

Thanks once again

I am not sure that the words "elegant" and "casual" can be used together ! :)

But, as for "smart casual" , I will assume that decent collared POLO style shirts are acceptable - as well as the collared, short sleeves with button up front. It's going to be pretty hot going through the Asian tropics - and airconditioning notwithstanding, and convention notwithstanding, I will be removing my jacket inside the dining room, formal night or not!! :)

Barry

One point to remember is that there is quite fierce air con in the dining room and its set pretty cool.

Most men don't seem to have a problem with the heat or feel the need to remove their jackets. Even in the Med in the summer and the Canaries I've never seen men removing their jackets on a formal night in the main restaurant. A few do later on on the dance floor.

LibraLassie

Most men don't seem to have a problem with the heat or feel the need to remove their jackets.

Hope you are right - the aircon in parts of some ships that I have been on sometimes seem to go from one extreme to the other. The aircon in "The Dome" on P&O's Pacific Dawn during the day can be cold enough to refrigerate meat! :) But at other times, in the dining rooms in the Tropics in the Pacific I have felt uncomfortable in a jacket. But then again - I am a hot frog, prefer the cold rather then the heat - must be my British heritage :)

Barry

LibraLassie

Most men don't seem to have a problem with the heat or feel the need to remove their jackets.

Hope you are right - the aircon in parts of some ships that I have been on sometimes seem to go from one extreme to the other.

Barry

Barry

I double checked with the other half too - and no he would never remove his jacket in the dining room (infact he doesn't remove bow tie and jacket all evening) as he said he wouldn't anyway, but that he never feels hot and bothered in there and I agree, air con is set so it is cool and comfortable. hope that helps,

We have at times found the a/c to be set very cold - but equally as often, in fact more often, have found it very hot and my husband has had to remove his jacket or risk fainting. Even in a strappy dress this spring, I almost always found the Meridian far too warm.

We have at times found the a/c to be set very cold - but equally as often, in fact more often, have found it very hot and my husband has had to remove his jacket or risk fainting. Even in a strappy dress this spring, I almost always found the Meridian far too warm.

Gill

We will just have to wait and see what happens :) I am well aware of the British "phobia" about the cold - and when we are in Britain find the temps inside shops, restaurants, etc to be uncomfortably warm - probably more so in Autumn/Winter. Hopefully, in the humid Tropics, the British passengers will find the humidity and heat outside to be oppressive and ask the ship's Officers to keep the aircon low - that will suit me!!:) I have had enough heat and humidity to last me the rest of my life!! :mad:

Barry

Archived