How does the Star compare to the Pearl???

ilovesassy

:)Hello! I just booked a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Star for March. We cruised to Alaska on the Pearl a couple of years ago, and I was wondering how the Star compares. Is the food in the dining rooms and buffet about the same? Also, I read somewhere that the Blue Lagoon Restaurant on the Star was removed. Is this true? I sure hope not. We have the same category cabin as on the Pearl (BB). Are the cabins comparable? We really enjoyed the Pearl, but after reading a lot of negative reviews about the Star, I am getting worried that maybe my money would have been better spent elsewhere. Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I've done three cruises on the Star (not since the recent changes, though), and she's quite similar to the Pearl. I believe they moved the Blue Lagoon from back by The Red Lion Pub to where Mambos is on the Pearl. It's now directly across from the Endless Summer, which is what the Star has instead of Mambos.

One of my favorite places on any ship is the Red Lion Pub, which is on Deck 7, port side and aft. It's on the way to the new Spinnaker Lounge, which is completely aft.

If you eat at Le Bistro, I suggest asking if you can sit outside the main restaurant in the area called the Wine Cellar. There are a few tables out there, and it's right next to Gatsby's where there's always entertainment going on. Plus, the Wine Cellar feels like you're eating in Napa Valley, with all the wine bottles and photos of some of Napa Valley's wine pioneers.

I hope you'll enjoy the Star!

I haven't been on the Pearl, but have been on both Jewel and Star. Previous poster is correct about the new location of Blue Lagoon. We found the food comparable on both and thoroughly enjoyed both ships. The new interior Spinnaker Lounge is interesting without the usual bank of windows to enjoy the scenery, but it wasn't a big deal for us. It will be much easier to spend time outdoors on a Mexican Riviera cruise vs our Alaska itinerary, so the Spinnaker move should matter even less.

we are doing the 4th time to the MR in Feb. on our BELOVED STAR and we're really disappointed that they moved the BL...we loved her locale and quaintness gave her charm, something the BL on the JEWEL didnt have after going to the BL at least everyday couple times a day on the STAR we only went to the Jewels maybe twice...food just wasnt the same to us and we realized too it didnt have the atmosphere or the crew that the STARs BL had--that was one of our favorite places...they even made me a grilled cheese a couple times on the STAR last voyage:)

not to crazy about the new Spinnaker either...we enjoyed her big windows and such and dont like the CLOSED-in feeling the new one seems to give off...least in the pictures and reviews.

We loved the new location of the Blue Lagoon because there are tables that overlook the atrium, same with Endless Summer. We sat on the balcony a couple times and enjoyed the entertainment in the atrium. We went into the Spinnaker for only a peek and unless you are playing bingo or going to the late evening shows that are fun to watch I see no reason to be in the Spinnaker.

:)Hello! I just booked a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Star for March. We cruised to Alaska on the Pearl a couple of years ago, and I was wondering how the Star compares. Is the food in the dining rooms and buffet about the same? Also, I read somewhere that the Blue Lagoon Restaurant on the Star was removed. Is this true? I sure hope not. We have the same category cabin as on the Pearl (BB). Are the cabins comparable? We really enjoyed the Pearl, but after reading a lot of negative reviews about the Star, I am getting worried that maybe my money would have been better spent elsewhere. Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Ilovesassy,I have sailed on both the Star and the Pearl in the past and the ships are not much different. The Pearl is newer, but the Star has just been retrofitted and changed around. The Blue Lagoon was moved but is still there. I found the food about the same as it is pretty much the same across the NCL line, I've sailed on 6 or 7 different NCL ships and I can't pick one that was better or worse than the others. I will be sailing on the Star in about three weeks for the panama canal trip so I guess I will find out what the changes are in her then. I did the MR on her 5 or 6 years ago and it was a good trip. Have fun.

:DThank you everyone for your input! I feel much better about choosing the Star now, and am very excited about our trip!

Thanks again.

What date are you sailing? We are on the March 19 sailing. Our first cruise was on the Star 5 years ago and we have done 3 on the Pearl. No such thing as a bad cruise in our books.

Dave & Doris

Eat the jumbo shrimp in Mazatlan. Wow...good. Here's a CC MR link also.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203&order=desc

If you want a different experience, go to the Mercado second floor and you may see some of your ship's crew making their shrimp lunch. They buy the shrimp in the Mercado and take it up there to clean and cook with their own spices or use the restaurant's spices and flavoring. Not fancy, but sure smells good !!! You can do the same thing for a couple of dollars plus the cost of the shrimp. I priced the jumbo shrimp and they asked 10 dollars per kilo which comes to just over 4 dollars per pound. what a deal !!

I have been on the Pearl once and the Star twice. We just came back from a Panama Canal cruise on the Star and she is a wonderful ship. I do not like the change in the Spinnikers lounge but the hotel Director told our "meet and Greet" that they will not be putting in windows. The Pearl does have an advantage of having a "great Outdoors" for dining at the Buffet. I do like the new location of the"Blue Lagoon" on deck 8 across from the Endless Summer Tex-Mex. The Star may be old but she is well kept up and you will love her.;););)

We too have been on the Pearl once and Star twice. Also, just did the Panama Canal Cruise on the Star in a wrap around aft penthouse. Spinnakers Lounge is dark without any window and we didn't spend much time in their. We spent alot of time at the Red Lion Pub listening to the singer, Tino. He was also on the Pearl with us.

The Pearl is a newer ship with a bowling alley, outdoor grill and they have a bigger area with more food choices in the Market Cafe.

Either way, you will love the Star.

We too have been on the Pearl once and Star twice. Also, just did the Panama Canal Cruise on the Star in a wrap around aft penthouse.

Oooh...we have that room on the Star. Were you in this room recently (for example, since the refurbishment)? What was the noise level from the bar below you? What type of deck furniture is there on the balcony?

Mike

Archived