Which is better for disinfecting the room?

Berk987

Lysol spray or Mr. Clean disinfecting cloths? Thanks.

The best thing for disinfecting your stateroom is your stateroom steward.:) Ask him and he will wipe it down for you if you are that concerned. No need to carry more weight with you than you need to.

Joanie

Geesh....OP had a question...

I like the mini cans of Lysol for spraying the remote and handles and surfaces. I also found clorox (bleach) wipes are good as disinfectant as well.

I have access to alcohol wipes and often use those but they are very small. They are good for taking ink off garments or hands.

We never travel without these and rather be cautious.

Safe and healthy travels to you!

LOL...Nothing really is fool proof unless you want to carry pure bleach with you & wipe the whole cabin down with it every day!

We take clorox wipes, as they advertise that it will kill cold & flu (influenza A2 & Rhinovirus type 14)..

I might use them them on the TV remote, bathroom, phone & some of the knobs on the doors & drawers..But I really wonder if it does any good...

Have had our flu shots for reg & noro, work weekly in the Hospital, have been flying my entire adult life all over the world & will be on our 18th cruise this month...Have been fortunate & never had a stomach virus or the flu, on a trip except once in Mexico (in my 20's) when I must have eaten or been drinking ;) the wrong thing & had "Montezuma's revenge" ..:eek::eek:

However, might get a cold when I'm run down, but since I stopped smoking 35 years ago they have been less & less...;)

The important thing is to wash wash wash our hands constantly & when using public restrooms open the door with a tissue..

Hope I'm not jinxing our upcoming cruise in two weeks..

Enjoy yours, take due care but try not to worry too much..:)

Cheers....:)Betty

I bring a small package of Clorox wipes. I feel it is much better to wipe off germs than to spray something on, just makes more sense to me. I also work in a busy hospital, and have never been sick while traveling. Washing hands is the best thing you can do, but I also wipe down the surfaces of the biggest culprits...phone, door handles, remote, etc.

Originally Posted by Berk987

The best thing for disinfecting your stateroom is your stateroom steward Ask him and he will wipe it down for you if you are that concerned. No need to carry more weight with you than you need to Joanie__________________

Oh! Great idea, I'm going to call the room attendant evetytime I take a dump!

Wear gloves 24/7

You still can't put those 24/7 gloves inside your mouth or nose. The little bugs have such tiny little legs they can't just jump into your moist receptive tissues on their own.

Agree, hand-washing and watching your hands.

The best thing for disinfecting your stateroom is your stateroom steward Ask him and he will wipe it down for you if you are that concerned. No need to carry more weight with you than you need to Joanie__________________

Excuse me for being under the belief that the OP is concerned with disinfecting their stateroom not their hands.

I still stick with my original post re asking the stateroom steward.

I was, nor am being facetious to the OP, nor anyone else on this thread. I gave an honest opinion and, what I believe was a respectful and weight saving measure for the OP.

Joanie

A have the mini cans of lysol that I bring on my trips.

I know that the stewards do an excellent job in cleaning, I still like to spray the phone,remote and door handles.

I do this at my home and clean on a daily basis.

Valid question to me!

Happy sailing!!

....so........after disinfecting your stateroom........what do you do about the rest of the ship.........lots of things to touch outside the room......

No one should touch the inside of their own nose or mouth, and then one can touch pretty much anything else they want. I think this room sanitizing thing may give a false sense of security and still ignores the vector contact route from any other non-sanitized surface as you well point out.

Best thing is to keep your immune system happy and there is nothing wrong with a good bit of mind-body chat with it ahead of time or while one is sanitizing their room as some shamanic ritual. Burning sage in the room could work too. :cool:

Why can't we offer alternatives and opinions without the invective and lack of civility?? The OP asked a question that was important to him/her. If it isn't important to you or if you aren't interested in contributing positively, just move on without comment.

It is very tiring to see the put downs and piling on, on a board that is designed to exchange information about cruising, for both the novice and seasoned traveler.

Read your posts and see if you would like to have someone respond to you that way!

Why can't we offer alternatives and opinions without the invective and lack of civility?? The OP asked a question that was important to him/her. If it isn't important to you or if you aren't interested in contributing positively, just move on without comment.

It is very tiring to see the put downs and piling on, on a board that is designed to exchange information about cruising, for both the novice and seasoned traveler.

Read your posts and see if you would like to have someone respond to you that way!

Amen!

I would use the wipes, you really shouldn't spray the remote or telephone. Liquids have a bad affect on electronic equipment. Had a remote for my TV short out after being sprayed.

Or as another poster suggested, have your room steward wipe it down daily if you feel the need. It really doesn't have to be sanitized every time you use the restroom. Wash your hands and use the hand sanitizer around the ship, or carry a small bottle on your person.

JMO

Way too much information!

No one benefits fostering junk science. "Sanitizing" rooms is junk science. Being mindful of possible infection transmission routes is sane public health policy. Piling junk science upon junk science is the first offense.

:) for the OP.

I carry a small spray can of Lysol when I travel which is a lot for business and pleasure. It gives me piece of mind. I am a hand-washer and always have hand sanitizer. DH may not partake of my preventions but then he won't get a kiss either.

My SIL who is a nurse goes a step or two further. She brings sandwich bags which she puts on every door handle and sink, shower and toilet fixture. She also puts a hand-towel or washcloth on the sink counter and lays her cosmetics etc on that rather than the counter top. I think she may even put a baggie on the phone and remote. DB goes along with her every step of the way.

Too each his/her own.

What's the old adage? An ounce of prevention.....

:) for the OP.

Too each his/her own.

What's the old adage? An ounce of prevention.....

A pound of prevention also includes not putting your fingers into your hands or mouth. Too much emphasis on only one part of the infection chain and a total disregard for the other actual infection contact part of the chain is useless information and weighs nothing.

Another old adage is a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Thank you to the poster who warned about damage to electronic devices spraying them inappropriately with chemical disinfectants which leaves a mess behind for the next cabin user who actually wants to use the device for which it was designed for. This is starting to rank with those who leave their balcony doors open and flush objects down the toilets that screw things up for lots of other people who are affected by these careless acts.

Don't stick your fingers in your nose or mouth, okay? Bugs do not jump off the counter or walls and fly into your nose or mouth. And putting a baggie around a door knob does not stop a sneezed spray landing droplets in your own nose or mouth, but certainly adds to our wasted plastic bag problems.

Sneeze in your sleeve. Wash your hands and watch your fingers.

A pound of prevention also includes not putting your fingers into your hands or mouth. Too much emphasis on only one part of the infection chain and a total disregard for the other actual infection contact part of the chain is useless information and weighs nothing.

Another old adage is a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Thank you to the poster who warned about damage to electronic devices spraying them inappropriately with chemical disinfectants which leaves a mess behind for the next cabin user who actually wants to use the device for which it was designed for. This is starting to rank with those who leave their balcony doors open and flush objects down the toilets that screw things up for lots of other people who are affected by these careless acts.

Don't stick your fingers in your nose or mouth, okay? Bugs do not jump off the counter or walls and fly into your nose or mouth. And putting a baggie around a door knob does not stop a sneezed spray landing droplets in your own nose or mouth, but certainly adds to our wasted plastic bag problems.

Sneeze in your sleeve. Wash your hands and watch your fingers.

Those are a given. Nothing wrong with a second level of defense, as it were, especially if it gives one personal piece of mind and does not step on anyone's toes. I do like your thought about wasting baggies and will pass it on to SIL.

I don't think it goes to the level of endangering the ship or inconveniencing its passengers

My wife is one of those that will wipe down a cabin/hotel room when we first arrive. You never know who was there previous, and how much cleaning was done before you arrive. I think this is a fine precaution and it doesn't hurt anything/anyone to do it, especially if you are traveling with kids (who aren't so worried about touching their noses and mouths).

My job is usually to entertain the kids (elsewhere) while my wife "prepares" the room. After that, she doesn't feel the need to wipe down on a continual basis...just on "move in". Do I think this extra cleaning is critical? Not necessarily, but if it makes her happy, I'm happy.

OP, for what it is worth she always uses the hand wipes (Clorox, or any other type of generic ones (cleaning not baby wipes), Costco (Kirkland) has nice ones...and no, they don't contain bleach as some other poster mentioned). She always packs some in a ziploc sandwich baggy so she doesn't have to carry the whole package.

I have thought about getting her a travel size spray for remotes and such (yes, I think everyone realizes if you soaked your remote in soapy water it would ruin it, but a mist spray of disinfectant won't ruin it) and I was hoping to get some useful information on what others thought...instead I was surprised at the rather petty remarks.

Many mention to "wash your hands often". Isn't this a precaution? Then why would cleaning your room (to your individual specifications) be considered "junk science" and not a healthy precaution. No where did the OP mention that they wanted to sanitize their room so that afterwards they could sit around naked and flick boogers while licking their fingers from that delicious room service they picked up from someones half-eaten tray down the hall.

Also, to add to even a longer post then I intended, I got an interesting email last night about Hydrogen Peroxide. Apparently it contains many of the same disinfectant properties of bleach, without the harseness. I take everything I get on the internet with a grain of salt and was going to research this out...but for what it is worth, you can look into that.

Archived