Which is better for disinfecting the room?

Berk987

I have thought about getting her a travel size spray for remotes and such (yes, I think everyone realizes if you soaked your remote in soapy water it would ruin it, but a mist spray of disinfectant won't ruin it) and I was hoping to get some useful information on what others thought......

Useful information is to spray a cloth or wipe with the sanitizing agent (of dubious value unless it is a full time soak solution with hepatitis/TB rated products) and then wipe the remote, but not spray or "mist" the remote directly which may lead to seepage into critical parts.

Since most "wipes" offer mere physical removal rather than chemical disinfection, you can "wipe" it down with anything, including soap and water. There is no need to add any ersatz sanitizing agent for the extra cost and disposal of the most likely plastic bottle or aerosol container this ersatz sanitizer comes in.

Hydrogen peroxide can bleach and degrade fabrics and other surfaces and again is not a sufficient disinfection agent. Go to a medical supply house if you want a true disinfection agent and read the instructions carefully. Misting and wiping and using products that actually only kill the easy bugs and leave the bad ones behind now to proliferate without competition is not in anyone's best interest regardless of how happy it makes one to go through the motions.

For the best show of family care it is better to read articles that have science rather than marketing schemes behind them. I think the plastic and aerosol residue left by sanitizing containers is far more a problem than the feeble secondary level attempts this current germ-fear mongering sales campaign attempts to alleviate. Surely you remember the old cholorhexidine mess from the last century and are also aware one of our biggest health problems out there is over-use of antibiotics that now has created far too many anti-biotic resistant infections.

Common sense and a good bit of science is needed to combat the false superstitions and junk science that ultimately always leads to the purchase of some dubious product and a wealth transfer scheme based upon unfounded fears. Letting junk science get a free pass is wrong. And it does harm a lot of people so there is no reason to give it a pass here too.

You are "wiping" bugs away physically when you wipe with anything, the same way over and over hand-washing for an appropriate amount of time is the first line of defense if one insists on putting their fingers into there mouth and noses. So stick with a moist wash cloth and maybe a little soap and water and stop wasting money and containers on all this "sanitizing" stuff.

Go to the CDC website for the best information about infection control.

To answer the OP's question, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Norovirus? Neither are EPA approved for the job, but alcohol (ethyl and isopropyl) and quarternary ammonium salts are effective. Look on the label, many Lysol sprays contain both. If you are just trying to clean things effectively, Mr Clean is good. BUT if you really want to kill noro, ask your room steward to disinfect with bleach, it is the absolute best. Well fire would work.

WOW, I'm amazed that people seem to care so much about how some of us feel about germs. I'm glad if you don't worry because you are so healthy. Some of us are not. Those of us who have compromised imune systems are aware of the need to wash our hands. Reducing the risks around us lets us lead more normal lives.

To the OP's question. It's not an easy answer. If you are wiping a surface with a dirty or contaminated cloth you are simply spreading germs. If you spray you need to be careful of electrical equipement, and note the drying time before the spray is effective. In everyday life, one of the most contaminated things many of us handle are menus because they have been handled by so many others and often placed on tables that have been cleaned with a dirty cloth. While few people think of it, it's important to wash you hands after you've handled a menu...

Life is a risk, cruising is a risk, going outside is a risk....everything in everyway is some sort of risk.

If you have the serious concerns then maybe cruising or travel is not for you.

How would you handle a third world port that still has yellow fever and malaria. Where you can catch denge fever and disentary....

Because thats where you go when you leave home.... You have no guarantees. No one has guarantees... not ever , not no way , not no how. Life is a n adventure......no risk no life..... you cant controll every aspect of your life; So give it up.

A quote" a man who is a dreamer, who never takes leave, who lives in his world that is all make beleive, He will never know passion, never know pain, as he sits by his window he may someday see rain"

Are you waiting for the rain......:o

I've never felt the staterooms needed a bleach wash-down. Once, I found mold in the shower and alerted the cabin steward, and all was well with the world.

If I was going to wash things down, it would be some organic wash. Hate the smell of bleach and all that stuff going into my lungs.

We've been fortunate to go on a number of cruises and have never gotten sick.

Lucky? Maybe. But these days, I worry more about bedbugs!!!!!!!:eek:

I've never felt the staterooms needed a bleach wash-down. Once, I found mold in the shower and alerted the cabin steward, and all was well with the world.

If I was going to wash things down, it would be some organic wash. Hate the smell of bleach and all that stuff going into my lungs.

Off Topic... Hay Suse!! Welcome back!!!!!!!!!

Joanie

WOW, I'm amazed that people seem to care so much about how some of us feel about germs. I'm glad if you don't worry because you are so healthy. Some of us are not. Those of us who have compromised imune systems are aware of the need to wash our hands. Reducing the risks around us lets us lead more normal lives.

To the OP's question. It's not an easy answer. If you are wiping a surface with a dirty or contaminated cloth you are simply spreading germs. If you spray you need to be careful of electrical equipement, and note the drying time before the spray is effective. In everyday life, one of the most contaminated things many of us handle are menus because they have been handled by so many others and often placed on tables that have been cleaned with a dirty cloth. While few people think of it, it's important to wash you hands after you've handled a menu...

Don't overlook the need to keep the disinfectant in contact with the surface for a minimum of 3-5 minutes for every surface you plan on touching before you next put your fingers into your mouth or nose, and if you have some of the super stuff. Otherwise it is an exercise in futility. And that is the point. Just use reasonable precautions and keep your fingers out of your nose and mouth unless you have washed them recently and well. Bugs just gotta live too.

Some times when I read a post I wonder if the poster is rude on purpose or do they just not know they sound rude?

I take the wipes we use at my work to clean equipment and wipe the phone and remote down. I also bring the small bottles of germ gel in my purse.

Some times when I read a post I wonder if the poster is rude on purpose or do they just not know they sound rude?

I take the wipes we use at my work to clean equipment and wipe the phone and remote down. I also bring the small bottles of germ gel in my purse.

Some times I wonder if there is any point posting germane (pun intended) information, if no one bothers to reads it.

Personally I like to use Clorox wipes and the Lysol, particularly in the bathroom, but also on surfaces that we touch with our hands such as doorknobs, light switches and remotes. I do believe that handwashing is the most important defense against germs and illness.

Personally I like to use Clorox wipes and the Lysol, particularly in the bathroom, but also on surfaces that we touch with our hands such as doorknobs, light switches and remotes. I do believe that handwashing is the most important defense against germs and illness.

Good advice. On our last cruise I accidentally did a cabin wipe down with my Tucks Medicated Pads. I don`t know if it killed the germs but the doorknobs were cool and refreshing.

We try to stay out of the public bathrooms and wash,wash our hands during the day.

Useful information is to spray a cloth or wipe with the sanitizing agent (of dubious value unless it is a full time soak solution with hepatitis/TB rated products) and then wipe the remote, but not spray or "mist" the remote directly which may lead to seepage into critical parts.

Since most "wipes" offer mere physical removal rather than chemical disinfection, you can "wipe" it down with anything, including soap and water. There is no need to add any ersatz sanitizing agent for the extra cost and disposal of the most likely plastic bottle or aerosol container this ersatz sanitizer comes in.

Hydrogen peroxide can bleach and degrade fabrics and other surfaces and again is not a sufficient disinfection agent. Go to a medical supply house if you want a true disinfection agent and read the instructions carefully. Misting and wiping and using products that actually only kill the easy bugs and leave the bad ones behind now to proliferate without competition is not in anyone's best interest regardless of how happy it makes one to go through the motions.

For the best show of family care it is better to read articles that have science rather than marketing schemes behind them. I think the plastic and aerosol residue left by sanitizing containers is far more a problem than the feeble secondary level attempts this current germ-fear mongering sales campaign attempts to alleviate. Surely you remember the old cholorhexidine mess from the last century and are also aware one of our biggest health problems out there is over-use of antibiotics that now has created far too many anti-biotic resistant infections.

Common sense and a good bit of science is needed to combat the false superstitions and junk science that ultimately always leads to the purchase of some dubious product and a wealth transfer scheme based upon unfounded fears. Letting junk science get a free pass is wrong. And it does harm a lot of people so there is no reason to give it a pass here too.

You are "wiping" bugs away physically when you wipe with anything, the same way over and over hand-washing for an appropriate amount of time is the first line of defense if one insists on putting their fingers into there mouth and noses. So stick with a moist wash cloth and maybe a little soap and water and stop wasting money and containers on all this "sanitizing" stuff.

You are too funny:) I swear if someone asked you for the time of day you would tell them how to build a clock.;)

We were just in Tanzania and bed bugs were the least of the bugs we worried about. Tse-tse flies were every where like stink bugs here in MD this year. And whether they carried sleeping sickness or not, they hurt when they bite you. Mosquitoes and spiders and beetles crawling around inside the rooms. Had all our shots and insect repellent, but with DH's compromised immune system, our hands were practically raw. We were advised not to use the tap water to brush our teeth, it made since to use sanitizer on our hands before we ate even though we washed in soap and tap water. So glad that is not an issue on cruises.

So many things to worry about so we do what we can to lessen some of the worry. We totally enjoy all our adventures that way.

PS Before someone suggests it, bottled water was way too expensive to wash your hands in.

The OP has a valid concern. Noro Virus and Upper Respiratory Infections run rampant on ships. Getting one or the other or both can ruin a vacation. I take a pack of wet one's wipes and wipe the remote, door knobs and things I touch in the room and bathroom. The room stewards do an excellent job but we all know they have way too many rooms to take care of. I can't image asking them to wipe down the room.

I worked in a hospital but am retired now. I'm not afraid of germs but am diligent when on vacation. I also use the wet ones when on shore excursions. They just make me feel cleaner then the sanitizer. They take the dirt off. I can't stand to just smear the dirt around with the sanitizer.

Don't want to get into a discussion about which is best. Both are excellent this is just a personal preference.

The wet ones take up very little room and weigh next to nothing.

The OP has a valid concern. Noro Virus and Upper Respiratory Infections run rampant on ships. Getting one or the other or both can ruin a vacation. I take a pack of wet one's wipes and wipe the remote, door knobs and things I touch in the room and bathroom. The room stewards do an excellent job but we all know they have way too many rooms to take care of. I can't image asking them to wipe down the room.

I worked in a hospital but am retired now. I'm not afraid of germs but am diligent when on vacation. I also use the wet ones when on shore excursions. They just make me feel cleaner then the sanitizer. They take the dirt off. I can't stand to just smear the dirt around with the sanitizer.

Don't want to get into a discussion about which is best. Both are excellent this is just a personal preference.

The wet ones take up very little room and weigh next to nothing.

You don't need to wipe down a whole room, only those surfaces you plan on touching before you put your fingers in your mouth and nose, but you must keep any chemical sanitizing agent on the surface for at least 5 minutes if this is its appropriate contact rating to kill the virus you are concerned about.

Please read the instructions for the product you have chosen if you are truly sincere about what you are trying to accomplish. Otherwise you have created false comfort for yourself and possibly others, wasted your money on the product, and added to the waste disposal problem for the ship.

If you are just going to "wipe down your room", you can do this with any detergent agent like soap and water because all you are doing is mechanically removing any surface contaminants and not "sanitizing" anything.

Noro-virus is a serious concern on ships. No one here is discounting this. And serious steps need to be taken to control is potential impacts -- like keeping your fingers out of your nose and mouth -- but superstitious ritual based upon marketing myths and not real infection control science only helps the manufacturers of these ineffective products that add nothing to the real prevention concerns we all should be following for ourselves and for our fellow passengers.

Take some time to read the CDC website about surface disinfection to learn what is a serious response and what is a waste of time and money that creates a false sense of security that helps no one.

You don't need to wipe down a whole room, only those surfaces you plan on touching before you put your fingers in your mouth and nose, but you must keep any chemical sanitizing agent on the surface for at least 5 minutes if this is its appropriate contact rating to kill the virus you are concerned about.

Please read the instructions for the product you have chosen if you are truly sincere about what you are trying to accomplish. Otherwise you have created false comfort for yourself and possibly others, wasted your money on the product, and added to the waste disposal problem for the ship.

If you are just going to "wipe down your room", you can do this with any detergent agent like soap and water because all you are doing is mechanically removing any surface contaminants and not "sanitizing" anything.

Noro-virus is a serious concern on ships. No one here is discounting this. And serious steps need to be taken to control is potential impacts -- like keeping your fingers out of your nose and mouth -- but superstitious ritual based upon marketing myths and not real infection control science only helps the manufacturers of these ineffective products that add nothing to the real prevention concerns we all should be following for ourselves and for our fellow passengers.

Take some time to read the CDC website about surface disinfection to learn what is a serious response and what is a waste of time and money that creates a false sense of security that helps no one.

SwissMyst, I actually was going to advise that I like to "wash" my bathroom counter, etc. with soap and water, but some of the replies on here have been very sarcastic and condescending, so I decided to limit my post to the Lysol or wipes question. So now I am just going to state in simple terms that the best day to day defense against germs both at home and away from home is washing them away. Most of us don't have easy access to the types of heavy duty sanitizers used in industrial type settings, such as hospitals, so while properly applied products such as antibacterial wipes and Lysol can help kill germs, the best action is to remove the germs. Also, hand sanitizers can kill some germs on your hands, but only on clean hands. Dirt or residue on your hands will keep the hand sanitizers from being effective. And, finally, since it hasn't been covered yet, antibacterial products don't kill virus's. The best way to get rid of a virus is to wash it away. So, clean your room if you must, but remember to wash, wash, and wash your hands again. And, as you have stated, keep your hands away from your mouth, nose, and eyes unless you have just washed them.

... these days, I worry more about bedbugs!!!!!!!:eek:

I am concerned that some people will start spraying poisons on the bedding out of this fear. Talk about the consequences of a disinfectant on the next cabin occupant - how about a long-lasting insecticide? This could be very harmful, particularly to children who might contact something sprayed. Common sense dictates we stop far short of such drastic measures. Germaphobia and bugaphobia often affect far more people than only the person suffering.

Hydrochloric acid does a pretty good job. Hydrofluoric acid also. Hydrofluoric acid dissolves glass, and therefore must be kept in plastic bottles.

Hydrofluoric will also eat your flesh all the way to your bones - calcium of the bones will stop the reaction:(

SwissMyst, I actually was going to advise that I like to "wash" my bathroom counter, etc. with soap and water, but some of the replies on here have been very sarcastic and condescending, so I decided to limit my post to the Lysol or wipes question. So now I am just going to state in simple terms that the best day to day defense against germs both at home and away from home is washing them away. Most of us don't have easy access to the types of heavy duty sanitizers used in industrial type settings, such as hospitals, so while properly applied products such as antibacterial wipes and Lysol can help kill germs, the best action is to remove the germs. Also, hand sanitizers can kill some germs on your hands, but only on clean hands. Dirt or residue on your hands will keep the hand sanitizers from being effective. And, finally, since it hasn't been covered yet, antibacterial products don't kill virus's. The best way to get rid of a virus is to wash it away. So, clean your room if you must, but remember to wash, wash, and wash your hands again. And, as you have stated, keep your hands away from your mouth, nose, and eyes unless you have just washed them.

Thank you also for the reminder to keep contaminated fingers out of eyes, as well as mouth and nose. Any moist area is receptive, including the eyes.

To make surface disinfection work one must be sure (1) the disinfection agent is in contact with the surface long enough to do its intended work and (2) one also needs to know how long that surface disinfection works before it can become re-contaminated again. This would vary with each type of surface, type of disinfection agent used and source of re-contamination.

Bottomline: one can worry endlessly about every and all possible ship board contamination chains, or one can use reasonable and effective precautions as a matter of good personal hygiene.

Pretending one has "sanitized" a room when it fails to meet those above disinfection criteria may be a comforting ritual, but I contend is not a realistic response to actual surface contamination issues.

People lying about their health status before boarding is of far more concern than which commercial sanitizer solution to use, since none of them offer any real protection.

We got the message on our first HAL cruise when the Maasdam captain encouraged us in every announcement to wash our hands to the tune of Yankee Doodle Dandy that kept our awareness level high about all the possible routes of daily contamination to start incorporating into life on board ships.

Yes, keeps hands out of mouth, nose and eyes unless thoroughly and recently washed. Do not rely on any prior surface contamination efforts to protect you from your own misplaced and unwashed hands.

I took a Microbiology class last year and what you are saying is right on (in this quoted post and the ones above on this page), including reference to the CDC site for accurate info. Product manufacturers are in it to make money and will advertise any way they think will "grab" customers (i.e., invoke fear, create the snake oil to "combat" it and you're home free - and rich). Remember, not all microbes (germs) are bad and you are killing the good with the bad - and the nastiest ones cannot be killed with the advertised products. Those products say right on the label they kill perhaps 99.6% of "germs" - guess what the other 0.4% are!

In this class, we had wash our hands with a disinfectant solution (can't remember what) before and after class, and use the "old" Lysol (red color, very smelly - hard to even find in stores anymore) to scrub (not wipe) the lab tables before and after conducting our experiments. We had to wear lab coats the entire time and leave them in the classroom between classes. At the end of the semester, the teacher put the coats in heavy duty plastic bags and took them home to soak them in bleach for an hour before laundering them with hot water. Only then were we allowed to take them home.

"Sanitizing" is NOT "disinfecting."

Wash your hands (as described on the CDC site) and keep them away from your face. Use the money saved on products that don't do what you really want them to and buy an extra goodie or two on your vacation!

Archived