Are cabin assignments final?

nicolewisconsin

Typically, once you have a cabin, its only going to go up if anything, unless as you noted, you rebook to get a fare drop or similar.

While not likely, its possible your cabin could change as you board, as happened to two people on our cruise tour. They checked in Denali to get their cabin #, nice oceanview. On the train into Whittier, suite. It was their 50th anniv, however ;)

Agreed; it is likely final BUT you saved $380 and you are still in a balcony which is awesome! That's a lot of savings to go towards other things for what is exactly the same room (minus a possibly larger balcony if it was a BA on the Caribe deck) but for almost four hundred smackers I'd be happy as a clam!

I have read where others have opted for the lower price after they have gotten a very good upgrade, and been put back into the guarantee pool after taking the refund over the upgrade. Most of the reports have been that when their cabin was assigned, that is where they ended up.

This might be different for your assignment, but more times than not, that will be the cabin you end up sailing in. Good luck though, and enjoy your cruise!

Agreed; it is likely final BUT you saved $380 and you are still in a balcony which is awesome! That's a lot of savings to go towards other things for what is exactly the same room (minus a possibly larger balcony if it was a BA on the Caribe deck) but for almost four hundred smackers I'd be happy as a clam!

I just got a BA cabin. Are the balcony's nice? What furniture do they have out there?

I just got a BA cabin. Are the balcony's nice? What furniture do they have out there?

I believe it depends on the ship & deck. On the Crown there are BA's on the Lido (standard balcony size) as well as Caribe (larger balcony)

Congrats on saving money. We'd be happy in any balcony cabin. The BE cabins are great because they're on the Baja Deck with other cabins above them and below them. You won't have the noise problems that are possible with some of the BA cabins on the Lido Deck, which are underneath the fitness center, if that is where your original assignment was.

We booked a BG cabin on the crown for 1/2011. We had originally received a BA upgrade, but the fares went down and to get the reduced fair ($380 total), we had to go back to BG. Today, we received a BE assignment.

Is this typically final?

We booked an inside gurantee in July for saturdays sailing.....got first room assignment wed. and notice from TA today that we were upgraded....we sail tomorrow.

We were happy with either room.

We are booked for B209 3rd room back from front of the ship. Our TA says the cruise, which leaves tomorrow, is not fully booked and to see at check-in if they will upgrade to something closer to mid ship. She also said to ask if we could upgrade to a mini-suite at a reduced rate. $200/pp normal, but maybe $100/pp we wouldn't eat anymore etc so it is money in their pocket:). What to you think about these options/suggestions?

We are booked for B209 3rd room back from front of the ship. Our TA says the cruise, which leaves tomorrow, is not fully booked and to see at check-in if they will upgrade to something closer to mid ship. She also said to ask if we could upgrade to a mini-suite at a reduced rate. $200/pp normal, but maybe $100/pp we wouldn't eat anymore etc so it is money in their pocket:). What to you think about these options/suggestions?

I am afraid your TA might have Princess confused with other cruise lines. Princess does NOT do pier/check in upgrades and especially not discounted upgrades. You can check at the purser's desk after boarding to see if anything is available in a higher category, but I can 99.9% guarantee you that you won't like the price charged if there are any. The price will be the same as you would have paid before leaving for your cruise. Enjoy!

So much for hoping:eek:

IMHO, if the TA I booked with knew this little about Princess procedure, I think I would be looking for a new TA for your next cruise. All cruise lines are not the same, and they have different ways of doing things (RCI used to be famous for pier upgrades, not sure if they are anymore, but they used to be). Find one that actually knows about the cruise line you are booking with and how they handle upgrades as well as other things. Have a great cruise though!

We booked a BG cabin on the crown for 1/2011. We had originally received a BA upgrade, but the fares went down and to get the reduced fair ($380 total), we had to go back to BG. Today, we received a BE assignment.

Is this typically final?

The only thing final are death and taxes!

I am afraid your TA might have Princess confused with other cruise lines. Princess does NOT do pier/check in upgrades and especially not discounted upgrades. You can check at the purser's desk after boarding to see if anything is available in a higher category, but I can 99.9% guarantee you that you won't like the price charged if there are any. The price will be the same as you would have paid before leaving for your cruise. Enjoy!

You are not correct. We upgraded at the pier on the Coral Princess.

You are not correct. We upgraded at the pier on the Coral Princess.

This is the very first time I have ever heard of someone paying to upgrade at the pier. Mainly as the pier check in personal don't normally have that option to allow you to upgrade, they are just check in personel. Some have been able to check at the purser's desk once onboard (but rarely are there any cabins available), but honestly I have never heard of 'purchasing' a pier upgrade in almost 20 years of sailing on Princess.

Did you actually purchase an upgrade at a discounted price at check in? Or were you given a complimentary upgrade at check in, which is something totally different?

This is the very first time I have ever heard of someone paying to upgrade at the pier. Mainly as the pier check in personal don't normally have that option to allow you to upgrade, they are just check in personel. Some have been able to check at the purser's desk once onboard (but rarely are there any cabins available), but honestly I have never heard of 'purchasing' a pier upgrade in almost 20 years of sailing on Princess.

Did you actually purchase an upgrade at a discounted price at check in?

I think you have now. We had two balcony cabins and paid to upgrade to mini suites (side by side) at the pier.

I think you have now. We had two balcony cabins and paid to upgrade to mini suites (side by side) at the pier.

At check in or at the purser's desk? And did you pay a discounted rate or the normal price? I noticed in your signature that you sailed on the Coral several years ago, is this the sailing we are talking about or a recent cruise?

I am very interested in how you did this at the pier, as I have never seen pier check in personel that had these capabilities. Enquiring minds (mine) want to know. ;)

At check in or at the purser's desk? And did you pay a discounted rate or the normal price? I noticed in your signature that you sailed on the Coral several years ago, is this the sailing we are talking about or a recent cruise?

I am very interested in how you did this at the pier, as I have never seen pier check in personel that had these capabilities. Enquiring minds (mine) want to know. ;)

I have the same enquiring mind, as the people working check-in on the pier don't have access to the systems necessary to process a purchase for an upgraded room in my experiences. Even when I've seen people enquire about purchasing upgrades they've been directed to ask once onboard the ship. I'd be interested in hearing more details as to how the poster was able to accomplish this since I've never heard of it in almost 15 years sailing on Princess.

Archived