Luau in Honolulu

MERLOTCHAMPAGNE

Honolulu is the only port Golden will be at in the evening so it's our only option for a luau. Recommendations for Luau's?? We normally do tours independently or rent a car in each port as we are going to do for this cruise. However with it being later at night, would we be better off doing a tour through Princess or renting a car for the day/evening and returning it after the luau?

Thanks! I had searched that thread and the 3 options but we were concerned about getting back to the ship on time as well. Most people on that thread were there pre cruise rather than worrying about the ship leaving without them. :eek:

Our roll call is a non factor - we are the OP and unfortunately haven't had any activity. Hopefully after the holidays, that will change.

Hopefully someone who has been on the Golden recently will chime in!

You may want to do a luau through the ship since they do tend to run late. I often opt for independent tours, but will do a ship tour when pressed for time. I have always had a good time.

Enjoy the Golden. I did a Mexican Riviera cruise on her a couple of years ago and loved it. She is a gorgeous ship. Not too big, but plenty of entertainment options.:)

What day of the week will you be docking on Oahu and what hours? Can't make too many suggestions without the hours. Several luaus on Oahu' date=' but several run fairly late.[/quote']

We'll be there on a Tuesday from 7a - 11p. The tour offered by Princess for a luau at PCC includes the Show as well but it takes 10.5 hours and includes a 90 minute bus ride with no narration. We're hoping to see other things as well when we're in Oahu.

Two of the luaus right in Waikiki (Royal Hawaiian and Hale Koa) are both on Monday nights, so those won't work. You might want to check with either Germaine's Luau or Paradise Cove luau as they offer transportation. I know that the PCC is more highly rates, but if that won't work with your times, then you might want to check either of those.

Hope you find a luau to work with your plans and then ENJOY!

Hi-I am going to Honolulu soon for a business trip--so I am a landlubber on this trip :( but---I have been doing my homework on this site and a great book O'ahu Revelaed which has detailed reviews of the Luau's available.

Polynesian Cultural Center--great job, but they serve up to 2,700 people a night. You can ride their bus for another $16, and it is 60-90 mniutes back to Waikiki (the book is not geared to Cruisers, so I would check with them directly on whether or not they pick up at port). A note-since this is run by the Mormon Church, there no alcholic beverages served. $88/person.

Germaine's-another good job, but also out of town. They too offer bus service and according to their website, the Luau ends at 8:45pm. Even with a bus ride back, sounds like you would make it by 11pm. Again, I would check with them on this-their website has a toll free number. Price includes 3 drinks. They serve approx. 650 people per show. My guidebook says approx. 4 hrs at the site and 2 hrs for roundtrip (again-to Waikiki-port may be a little different--a little shorter I would imagine for the bus ride). $72/person

Royal Hawaiian's 'Aha'Aina-they don't bill it as a Luau, its upscale, about 200 people, unlimited bar for $175/person. The show is excellent and cultural displays authentic. The food and service are exceptional --check with the hotel, according to guidebook, show is only on limited nights.

Personally, I would not want to be trying to find my way at night in a place where I am unfamiliar with the roads, and I would enjoy a cocktail or two, so for me driving myself to one of these would be out of the question.

There were a few others, but they were not well rated-one becuase it literally takes place on a garage rooftop.

Have fun!

Thank you all for your suggestions. Driving ourselves at night after a few drinks in unknown territory is certainly a major consideration - we will certainly want a venue that provides transportation. Royal Hawaiian's 'Aha'Aina sounded just perfect but unfortunately it's not an option as we'll be there on Tuesday evening so I guess Germaine's it is.

Thanks again...

Make sure to contact both Germaines and Paradise Cove and make sure that they will drop you back at the ship at Aloha Tower in time for departure. (In case my previous post was confusing PCC = Polynesian Cultural Center, not Paradise Cove.)

Hope you get to a luau!

Make sure to contact both Germaines and Paradise Cove and make sure that they will drop you back at the ship at Aloha Tower in time for departure. (In case my previous post was confusing PCC = Polynesian Cultural Center' date=' not Paradise Cove.)

Hope you get to a luau![/quote']

I emailed Germaines and they will drop us back at Aloha Tower by 10p. They will pick us up there at 4:45p so that will allow us to do many other things during the day on our own. Thanks for the follow up... it looks like a luau will be in our plans for that day!

Thank you all for your suggestions. Driving ourselves at night after a few drinks in unknown territory is certainly a major consideration - we will certainly want a venue that provides transportation. Royal Hawaiian's 'Aha'Aina sounded just perfect but unfortunately it's not an option as we'll be there on Tuesday evening so I guess Germaine's it is.

Thanks again...

We were in the same Golden boat. :( We really wanted to be part of a luau but the PCC was way too long. Germaine's was our choice because they will take you back to the pier by 10pm and you can get discount tickets (includes RT transportation) for $52 each. HOWEVER, we changed our minds. After looking at the Patters for the last crossing we noticed the port days for Honolulu and Kuwai were switched. Someone also indicated that weather/sea conditions can alter the port days for any given island itenerary. We were hesitant to pay up front for a luau we may miss. We decided on the Princess daytime river cruise and Fern Grotto luau on Kuawai. You should check it out. A little pricey but it is peace of mind and a luau! Have fun on your cruise :)

Archived