Oasis vs epic my thoughts and trouble on deck 2

I thought I could do a review on the Epic vs the Oasis, but find it really isn't possible. We sailed on the Epic in cabin 8079 on Sept 11 and today returned from the Oasis sailing in cabin 11195. I'll post more tomorrow, but did want to let some of you know about a topic that burns up the boards at times....CONTRABAND. Witnessed first hand ...

Hot topic first---ever been called to the principals office? Mother superior? Well, that's deck 2 on the Oasis. If you are so summoned you will note first that a piece of your luggage has not arrived....hummmmm, next if you turn on the TV you'll see a little blinking "New message" envelope. Upon reading it you will see a notice stating that security would like to see you on Deck 2 and ask you to identify some item/items, should that not get your attention, your room steward will knock on your door and give you the cheery message along with directions on how to find the bowels of the ship....well, as in being called to the office; you will not be alone. The elevators all contained those that were GUILTY....this area looks like the inside of a Navy ship, certainly not "cruisy". There you will be asked to identify yourself and present your key card. The first thing you notice are LARGE...VERY LARGE 8 ft wide by 4 ft deep shelves one with enough alcohol to keep a bar in business for a week. All top brand I might add from what I saw. Some were giftwrapped, some appeared to be bottles of "Pepsi", some looked liked 6 packs of water, though I can't speak for exactly what they were cause' I didn't get to partake of the "taste test". Confiscated ALCOHOL...next area...IRONS of every size and shape, flat, folded, in boxes, bags, it would have made a Chinese laundry proud! Next and this one I just don't get...CANDLES...what looked like maybe incense and a few other things in shelves that were in boxes.

The funniest part was a fellow passenger screaming she's been on 35 cruises and never coming back because they insisted she show her ID CARD....ok, she got busted, doesn't want to loose her stuff, but doesn't want to go back to her cabin to get her ID? I thought that too funny.

So they DO look closely at your suitcases....packed ones also. You will also not be able to bring any open container, even water back from the ports; you WILL be asked to open your wrapped bottles to prove they are hot sauce and not mini bottles. Security is so tight it picked up a nickel I had in my pocket, now, that's set to the ultimate sensitivity.

Just wanted to pass that along...by the way, it was my friend that got caught and booked....she has a portable iron.

More tomorrow on the Epic vs Oasis. Had incredible time on BOTH.

Linda

Thanks for the review, not surprising, although the alcohol I think is just silly I feel like we are back in college trying to sneak drinks into the dorms. The fact that alcohol smuggling is so prevalent on board should send a message to the cruise line that their drink prices are too high. Yes there is the issue of having better control of consumption by having it served by the bar tenders but this is about the income. They would do much better from a PR standpoint, if they followed my suggestion.

How about making it a Platinum and Diamond Perk you are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine or one bottle of hard liquor on board or better yet (for them since they get the profit) if you are Platinum or Diamond you can purchase a the same amount on board 2 wine or 1 hard liquor and have it sent to your stateroom on the first night of the cruise. Then they are getting the profit and the customer feels like they are getting a nice perk for their loyalty. Just a suggestion.

The irons are mind boggling, who takes an iron on vacation? Besides it being just a bad idea it is a safety hazard.

Candles?? Are people really that stupid, unfortunately yes. A couple years ago RCCL had a "Cruise Tips for First Time Cruisers" if you made a suggestion you were entered into some sort of contest, unfortunately it wasn't monitored so there were all sorts of people giving terrible advice. One I remember was a woman saying to bring candles to "eliminate any funny smells". Fire at Sea, pretty much the worst thing that can happen to a cruise ship.

Like most of you I am annoyed by the invasion of privacy by the TSA and the cruise line x-raying my luggage but I am actually glad the cruise line is tightening up on security on things that are a safety hazard. I would rather have my bags scanned than have the ship burn because some idiot wanted to bring candles on the ship.

RC just blew it's wad on 2 new worlds biggest cruise ships. It takes a while to pay that off and have them turn a profit. They're under pressure to pull in some big revenue numbers on-board. Booze is the way and looks like they're steppin' it up to ensure they make their money!

Thanks for the review, not surprising, although the alcohol I think is just silly I feel like we are back in college trying to sneak drinks into the dorms. The fact that alcohol smuggling is so prevalent on board should send a message to the cruise line that their drink prices are too high. Yes there is the issue of having better control of consumption by having it served by the bar tenders but this is about the income. They would do much better from a PR standpoint, if they followed my suggestion.

How about making it a Platinum and Diamond Perk you are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine or one bottle of hard liquor on board or better yet (for them since they get the profit) if you are Platinum or Diamond you can purchase a the same amount on board 2 wine or 1 hard liquor and have it sent to your stateroom on the first night of the cruise. Then they are getting the profit and the customer feels like they are getting a nice perk for their loyalty. Just a suggestion.

The irons are mind boggling, who takes an iron on vacation? Besides it being just a bad idea it is a safety hazard.

Candles?? Are people really that stupid, unfortunately yes. A couple years ago RCCL had a "Cruise Tips for First Time Cruisers" if you made a suggestion you were entered into some sort of contest, unfortunately it wasn't monitored so there were all sorts of people giving terrible advice. One I remember was a woman saying to bring candles to "eliminate any funny smells". Fire at Sea, pretty much the worst thing that can happen to a cruise ship.

Like most of you I am annoyed by the invasion of privacy by the TSA and the cruise line x-raying my luggage but I am actually glad the cruise line is tightening up on security on things that are a safety hazard. I would rather have my bags scanned than have the ship burn because some idiot wanted to bring candles on the ship.

RCI used to allow you to buy alcohol the 1st day from the liquor store and they would charge you a "Corkage Fee" I think it was $10-15 per bottle, and let you take the bottles back to your room for consumption on board. If you bought liquor after the 1st day it was kept until the final day. I even remember one cruise when they allowed you to buy up to 3 bottles the 1st day and would only charge you the one corkage fee. We did this several times and still had at least a $150 bar tab. I think if they instituted this policy again it would eliminate a lot of the smuggling and increase their bottom line as there was always a huge line of people buying alcohol that 1st day.

RC just blew it's wad on 2 new worlds biggest cruise ships. It takes a while to pay that off and have them turn a profit. They're under pressure to pull in some big revenue numbers on-board. Booze is the way and looks like they're steppin' it up to ensure they make their money!
This does not work with with me. I cruise mostly Princess ($2.99 drinks after 8PM and in the Elite Platinum lounge) that lets you bring on wine and is not to strict on Booze and RCI ($8+ drinks) and a strict Booze policy. Guess what line I have the big bar bill on? It's not RCI.

So what is the penalty for these heinous transgressions?

I assume your mate didn't get her iron back, so what was the purpose of going to deck 2? Did she buy the harrassment and humiliation package?

LOL! I hear that the going rate for that package is OUTRAGEOUS!

Given that some drunks are not fun to be around, I for one would gather some satisfaction in knowing that they at least had to pay through the nose to get that sloshed. Sure the drinks are pricey, but how many does one really need in a 3, 4 or 7 night cruise? If the liquor prices are too much, choose another, cheaper line or go upscale where it is all included or, God forbid, drink less. RCCL, keep searching and confiscating, and the smugglers should keep trying. It makes for great fun and unlimited posting opportunities.

DH and DS and I were on Majesty on 4 October, I use a wheelchair sometimes and took it with us. My suitcase did not arrive and when I ask our steward she said I had to do to deck 1. I made DH come with me, I could not think what was upsetting them as I did not buy my bottle of Plymouth Gin because of going on the cruise. When we got to deck 1, one of the crew was sitting on my case ( not pleased about that):mad:, we were asked to open the case because they thought I had a POWER TOOL in my case. It was a spanner my DH uses to adjust my wheelchair sometimes:D. That was OK no power tool, who takes power tools on a cruise for goodness sake?

Given that some drunks are not fun to be around, I for one would gather some satisfaction in knowing that they at least had to pay through the nose to get that sloshed. Sure the drinks are pricey, but how many does one really need in a 3, 4 or 7 night cruise? If the liquor prices are too much, choose another, cheaper line or go upscale where it is all included or, God forbid, drink less. RCCL, keep searching and confiscating, and the smugglers should keep trying. It makes for great fun and unlimited posting opportunities.

paying through the nose must be different than having your nose so high up in the air that you drown when it rains...

paying through the nose must be different than having your nose so high up in the air that you drown when it rains...

Not sure where that comes from, since I clearly support you getting your drunk on if that's what floats your boat. I guess we differ on whether you should pay for it. But hey, it's free speech, a free country and maybe soon, free booze.

RCI used to allow you to buy alcohol the 1st day from the liquor store and they would charge you a "Corkage Fee" I think it was $10-15 per bottle, and let you take the bottles back to your room for consumption on board. If you bought liquor after the 1st day it was kept until the final day. I even remember one cruise when they allowed you to buy up to 3 bottles the 1st day and would only charge you the one corkage fee. We did this several times and still had at least a $150 bar tab. I think if they instituted this policy again it would eliminate a lot of the smuggling and increase their bottom line as there was always a huge line of people buying alcohol that 1st day.

That hasn't been allowed since August 5, 2005.

###

Not sure where that comes from, since I clearly support you getting your drunk on if that's what floats your boat. I guess we differ on whether you should pay for it. But hey, it's free speech, a free country and maybe soon, free booze.

My comment was entirely directed at the tone of your post, not your opinion of smuggling in general. Perhaps you did not mean to come off as self-righteous...

As for "whether you should pay for it," unless the alcohol that is smuggled on board was stolen, it certainly was paid for. The only difference is who gets the profits.

For goodness sakes....let's get on with the OP's original review....and quit the cheap entertainment of bickering here.

I am dying to hear about the EPIC vs the Oasis since I recently cancelled our EPIC sailing and rebooked for Oasis due to common negatives about NCL's newest ship.

I already am 100% convinced the Oasis is far superior for many reasons....just wanna hear :)

I thought I could do a review on the Epic vs the Oasis, but find it really isn't possible. We sailed on the Epic in cabin 8079 on Sept 11 and today returned from the Oasis sailing in cabin 11195. I'll post more tomorrow, but did want to let some of you know about a topic that burns up the boards at times....CONTRABAND. Witnessed first hand ......

This is the first time that I ever ready someone make going to the Naughty Room so funny :p. Thanks for my laugh of the day.

As far as that lady getting upset and yelling at the crew; I have a feeling that every time she came back from a port of call with packages they were very closely scanned.

I thought I could do a review on the Epic vs the Oasis, but find it really isn't possible. We sailed on the Epic in cabin 8079 on Sept 11 and today returned from the Oasis sailing in cabin 11195. I'll post more tomorrow, but did want to let some of you know about a topic that burns up the boards at times....CONTRABAND. Witnessed first hand ...

Hot topic first---ever been called to the principals office? Mother superior? Well, that's deck 2 on the Oasis. If you are so summoned you will note first that a piece of your luggage has not arrived....hummmmm, next if you turn on the TV you'll see a little blinking "New message" envelope. Upon reading it you will see a notice stating that security would like to see you on Deck 2 and ask you to identify some item/items, should that not get your attention, your room steward will knock on your door and give you the cheery message along with directions on how to find the bowels of the ship....well, as in being called to the office; you will not be alone. The elevators all contained those that were GUILTY....this area looks like the inside of a Navy ship, certainly not "cruisy". There you will be asked to identify yourself and present your key card. The first thing you notice are LARGE...VERY LARGE 8 ft wide by 4 ft deep shelves one with enough alcohol to keep a bar in business for a week. All top brand I might add from what I saw. Some were giftwrapped, some appeared to be bottles of "Pepsi", some looked liked 6 packs of water, though I can't speak for exactly what they were cause' I didn't get to partake of the "taste test". Confiscated ALCOHOL...next area...IRONS of every size and shape, flat, folded, in boxes, bags, it would have made a Chinese laundry proud! Next and this one I just don't get...CANDLES...what looked like maybe incense and a few other things in shelves that were in boxes.

The funniest part was a fellow passenger screaming she's been on 35 cruises and never coming back because they insisted she show her ID CARD....ok, she got busted, doesn't want to loose her stuff, but doesn't want to go back to her cabin to get her ID? I thought that too funny.

So they DO look closely at your suitcases....packed ones also. You will also not be able to bring any open container, even water back from the ports; you WILL be asked to open your wrapped bottles to prove they are hot sauce and not mini bottles. Security is so tight it picked up a nickel I had in my pocket, now, that's set to the ultimate sensitivity.

Just wanted to pass that along...by the way, it was my friend that got caught and booked....she has a portable iron.

More tomorrow on the Epic vs Oasis. Had incredible time on BOTH.

Linda

This is the first time that I ever ready someone make going to the Naughty Room so funny :p. Thanks for my laugh of the day.

As far as that lady getting upset and yelling at the crew; I have a feeling that every time she came back from a port of call with packages they were very closely scanned.

And THAT is the way to get thrown off the ship..........NOT for the booze smuggling: for the abuse of crew.

I can't wait for the review either, I cancelled my Epic cruise after hearing you are nickel and dimed for everything and booked the Allure. Will my rccl perks it ended up being cheaper than the epic. Had to give up the eastern caribbean for the western, but I am going for the ship not the islands.

So what is the penalty for these heinous transgressions?

I assume your mate didn't get her iron back, so what was the purpose of going to deck 2? Did she buy the harrassment and humiliation package?

You get your irons back the last day when you leave the ship. (speaking from experience of someone who does not like to wear wrinkled clothes). :D

My comment was entirely directed at the tone of your post, not your opinion of smuggling in general. Perhaps you did not mean to come off as self-righteous...

As for "whether you should pay for it," unless the alcohol that is smuggled on board was stolen, it certainly was paid for. The only difference is who gets the profits.

Not sure abgout what tone other than I do like the "cat and mouse" of folks trying to sneak it in and some getting caught. Cruise lines aren't charities so I hope they are making a profit. To the request of an earlier poster, I guess we will gree to disagree and let folks learn about the Epic..

Archived