Weather for Russian river cruise?

twoatsea

I researched the online weather sites for St. Petersburg & Moscow during our choices of 2011 months of travel. Below I listed the monthly 2010 data, along with my assessment that April may be best. But what I need is some experienced travelers' opinions. Anyone traveled during our selected months & have weather opinions to offer?

My assessment -

Moscow in August is too hot for us. We don't like to travel in hot weather. St. Petersburg for Sept 1-15 is too cold. We don't like it down to the 30's when we tour during the day.

So, that leaves April. Temps are not too hot/not too cold (according to Goldilocks friends!) & looks like not as rainy as Aug & Sep in St. P., but quite a bit of poor conditions in Moscow.

The data -

St. Petersburg

Apr 1-15 = 42-57 hi/28-37 lo/2 rain days/0 snow days

Apr 16-30 = 42-64 hi/28-44 lo/4 rain days/2 snow days

Aug 1-15 = 50-69 his/39-44 los/6 rain days

Aug 16-31 = 48-69 his/39-50 los/7 rain days

Sept 1-15 = 35-57 his/32-41 los/5 rain days

Moscow

Apr 1-15 = 51-62 his/28-39 los/2 rain days/3 foggy days

Apr 16-30 = 46-62 his/26-48 los/9 rain days/2 snow days

Aug 1-15 = 87-98 his/64-73 los/6 rain days

Aug 16-31 = 51-93 his/44-66 los/12 rain days/1 foggy day

Sept 1-15 = 48-78 his/39-51 los/6 rain days/5 foggy days

Thanks for all opinions & info to be offered.

I just checked an online discounter site to see what was available & there are not any April cruises listed???? Just this site or do the cruises not start until May? If so, we can't travel until August or Sept.

Can't stand hot! Now what?

We took the two week cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg this September. We arrived in Moscow 9/3. While the temperatures were cool, it was not cold. It was in the 50's & low 60's during the day. Very little rain. We had a great time.

I did some research and learned that June was a good time to go.

I hate the cold and no one wants to be hot and sweaty all the time (I can do hot and sweaty at home). June temps seemed perfect and we will be in St. Petersburg for the last few of the White Nights which should be exciting.

We went at the end of September into early October and had perfect weather. Weather was mostly sunny, very little rain, and generally in the 50's. It never was in the 30's. I hate the heat also and would have preferred 30's to a hot summer day but it couldn't have been nicer. We even had cocktails on the deck at the end of the day.

To twoatsea,

We're booked on the AMA Katarina for September 7, 2011 for our Russia River Cruise from St. Petersburg to Moscow. We like the cooler weather. Last summer was the awful heat wave that caused the weather in Russia to be in the high 90's. We were in Switzerland at the same time with temps at 95 degrees!! It was soooooooooooo hot.

Sheila

The weather this year in Russia was extremely different from normal. April is not a month in which river cruises are offered in Russia because of the cold--it can even snow in the area closer to St. Petersburg in May. Check on usual climate conditions, and I think you will find more helpful information.

We went in July 2009 and found it to be very comfortable, so I think you'll be fine in August or early September if those are the months you have available. We loved Russia!:)

• 4 weeks later...

We did the Viking Waterways of the Czars in Fall 2008. We were on newly refurbished Sukov.

Weather was cool, but only had 1 rainy windy colder day during the trip.

Nice to walk and tour with a rain/wind breaker and jacket and/or sweater. We did take gloves and hats. Also wore sturdy shoes with socks. It was great to NOT have any crowds.

Several people on our trip had toured in Russia before during the summer and chose to avoid the crowds and heat.

MSEm

Archived